Career Choices : Work in Deaf World or Hearing World?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you work in the deaf world, meaning that you work for a deaf organization or a business that serves deaf and hard of hearing people...(don't have to worry about being lonely. There is always someone around you can communicate with.)

Or

If you work in the hearing world, and are the only deaf employee at your company or organization...

I heard that Deaf world at a job pays you low than Working in the hearing world which pays you higher.

I am wondering does it matter to u where you work either deaf business or hearing business? explain your answer if you can.:)

based on my observations i do notice that generally deaf owned business/whatever do pay a bit lower than the hearie world -- personally i would work in the hearie world -- less drama i think

take for one example -- teachers at deaf schools and hearie schools -- those who works at deaf school earns quite a bit less than those who teaches at hearie schools -- deaf schools are not paying their teachers the general same salary as the general teaching salary at hearie schools -- i could now be inaccurate if the deaf schools have actually took steps to correct this and find ways to attract more educators needed at schools nationwide

They need more skilled educators to teach reading and English. It's so important to bring deaf children up to par with their reading and writing skills. If they can't have that, then I don't think they need to get paid more until they have a good plan to teach them to read and write well. I do find some deaf educators lazy to help deaf children and only there for the money to make a living and probably less work for them to do in their life.

For me, at the moment I work for both Deaf and hearing worlds.
My ASL job pays higher than my job at the hospital.

TiaraPrincess said:
They need more skilled educators to teach reading and English. It's so important to bring deaf children up to par with their reading and writing skills. If they can't have that, then I don't think they need to get paid more until they have a good plan to teach them to read and write well. I do find some deaf educators lazy to help deaf children and only there for the money to make a living and probably less work for them to do in their life.

I totally agree with you 100% :mrgreen:

When I was in Jr. High I was in a deaf class just full of deaf Kids and we had about the same subject everyday like in for Math, its the same thing for just a week because of that some deaf kids in our class do not have the same learning level than the rest of the class and I thought it was unfair that we have to be far behind because of other kids. So that is the major reason why We moved to a different school system which total commucation and mainstream so we do not have to be far behind. :ily:

Some schools like Montersorri schools allow you to learn at your own pace without being taught at the same time. This could be another good way for deaf children to move on. It's not fair to the kids who already get it. My mom wanted me in this school, but we did not have near home.

ASL tutor needed in Framingham, MA

I am looking for ASL tutor to help me to learn ASL. Once or twice a week.
If interested please send e-mail to Vera.

Back