Captions at the Movies

justagirl

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if you could go the the movies and not have to wait till it comes out because there are no captions?

I wish they would make a theater for the deaf/hoh that would include these. Those big cinemas could do it, they have enough theater rooms. They could just use a couple and put up the captions. They would get some big business I bet....not just from the deaf community but from old people who can't hear as well anymore.

What do you think?

Wouldn't it be great if you could go the the movies and not have to wait till it comes out because there are no captions?

I wish they would make a theater for the deaf/hoh that would include these. Those big cinemas could do it, they have enough theater rooms. They could just use a couple and put up the captions. They would get some big business I bet....not just from the deaf community but from old people who can't hear as well anymore.

What do you think?

Some theaters do use captions. In my area, they don't. But there are such theaters are out there.

They could be open captioned or use various captioning devices.

I did not know this...wow, someone else just PM and told me this! I never knew, how frustrating it's been for me. Now I can see The Hobbit in theaters hopefully!

I just want to add...that I am really excited about this....and I feel kinda stupid for not knowing. I never thought anyone offered this kind of service so for years I have avoid theaters and just waited for movies to come out.

I guess this was something I would have known if I had grown up in the deaf community. Wow, this is just so neat!

You should not have too much problem finding this. Even in Des Moines, we can see pretty much anything captioned! :P

What do you think?

I've never had captions at the movies in my area. It's probably why the last films I remember seeing were "Shall We Dance" (Japanese) and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Mandarin).

Laura

I've never had captions at the movies in my area. It's probably why the last films I remember seeing were "Shall We Dance" (Japanese) and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Mandarin).

Laura

A Google search shows that in your area a Loews cinema and Showcase cinema have captioning...

I just want to add...that I am really excited about this....and I feel kinda stupid for not knowing. I never thought anyone offered this kind of service so for years I have avoid theaters and just waited for movies to come out.

I guess this was something I would have known if I had grown up in the deaf community. Wow, this is just so neat!

Don't feel "stupid" about not knowing. Embracing being Deaf means there's a lot of things to learn that you might not have known about before. For example, I never knew about RIT/NTID growing up. It wasn't my fault that I didn't know, but it would have been useful to have known about it early on.

And it is not your fault either, for not knowing about captioned movie theaters. I myself did not know about them until a while ago.

It comes with the territory of not growing up culturally Deaf.

Now you know and now it can add to your life! :) Enjoy it.

What do you think?
There are more and more theaters that have captioning. Some have open captioning, some have rear view captioning, and some have digital captioning (which is new to me recently).

Open captions is when they have words on the screen. Instead of black boxes with white text like on television, it's just white text.

Rear view captions is when they give you a small adjustable reflector and you set it up in front of you so that it reflects the backwards digital text from behind you. It's a hassle and some hate it. It's better than nothing.

Digital captions is new to me. I first experienced it at a movie theater a few months ago when I went to see Hunger Games. The set up is almost like rear view captioning, but instead of a reflector... you have an actual wireless digital device in front of you that shows you what's being said in the movie. Either they or you set it up to match the theater number you're in before it starts working. :)

Check with your local theaters. :)

There are more and more theaters that have captioning. Some have open captioning, some have rear view captioning, and some have digital captioning (which is new to me recently).

Open captions is when they have words on the screen. Instead of black boxes with white text like on television, it's just white text.

Rear view captions is when they give you a small adjustable reflector and you set it up in front of you so that it reflects the backwards digital text from behind you. It's a hassle and some hate it. It's better than nothing.

Digital captions is new to me. I first experienced it at a movie theater a few months ago when I went to see Hunger Games. The set up is almost like rear view captioning, but instead of a reflector... you have an actual wireless digital device in front of you that shows you what's being said in the movie. Either they or you set it up to match the theater number you're in before it starts working. :)

Check with your local theaters. :)

Out of curiously which do you like the best. Now I am all excited to go to the movies again and try this out.

What do you think?
You didn't know? Don't you have deaf friends locally to tell you about that?

Oh, well, do you know what a search engine is for? You will find more info in older threads.

One of the old threads: http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/99190-new-captioning-system.html

BTW, as for me, open captions is my preference.

Last edited:
It hasn't made a real difference to me because even when I could hear enough I was picky about what movies I wanted to see. Growing up that was in the days of double features and I would often be interested in one but not the other and finding other people that only wanted to see one of the two didn't work.

There is nothing now with any version of captions locally. The only thing locally is headphones; which means you have to understand speech at some volume.

I looked it up using the link further up this thread and the nearest place it found with captions is a good 55 miles away. That trip is not worth it to me as I am not that interested in movies to begin with.

Laura

You did not see the "Girl with the Green Dragon" trilogy? Not the American version but the foreign. Just totally wonderful subtitles to a great movie(s).

You did not see the "Girl with the Green Dragon" trilogy? Not the American version but the foreign. Just totally wonderful subtitles to a great movie(s).

Uhh, Green Dragon? :eek3: Don't you mean The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"?

I did see "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," but the rape scene was really hard to sit through so it was stop and go for awhile, and it turned me off of watching the others. I'm a huge fan of Asian cinema (primarily Hong Kong films) and Argentine movies although lately I've been enjoying some films from Spain. I personally can't watch really violent, graphic movies.

Laura

You didn't know? Don't you have deaf friends locally to tell you about that?

Oh, well, do you know what a search engine is for? You will find more info in older threads.

One of the old threads: http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/99190-new-captioning-system.html

BTW, as for me, open captions is my preference.

To answer your first question, no I do not. I'm still very new to my area.

Yes, I know what a search engine is smart ass but it honestly never occurred to me that they might already do this. I have asked, in the past but it was not available as least not where I lived...and I figured it would be news worthy enough that word would have gotten around better. And I didn't think to search through old threads. Besides, its a forum questions are allowed, even ones that have been done before. Unless you have decided to play alldeaf God and change them. :type:

LOL!!! Glad to know your preference; this will help when I go to the movies in Dec to see The Hobbit :D And thanks for the link

Out of curiously which do you like the best. Now I am all excited to go to the movies again and try this out.
I will always prefer open captioning. It's already on the screen and I don't have to sit still throughout the whole movie.

With digital captioning, I don't have to sit still... but if I do want to make it easier to read along with the movie, I have to adjust it so that it's right at the bottom of the screen. The closer to the front you sit, the harder it is... you'll have to slouch a bit to make it work. The further back up you sit, the easier it is... the screen is already at a lower view.

With rear view captioning, you cannot move. Since it's based on reflection, moving will cause your viewing angle to change and you lose sight of the captioning that's showing from the back of the theater. It's a bit annoying to have to adjust it every time. As for seating, the same thing applies to the seating arrangements for digital captioning. However, one extra thing is that the further back you sit... the more awkward the captioning will be viewed.

I will always prefer open captioning. It's already on the screen and I don't have to sit still throughout the whole movie.

With digital captioning, I don't have to sit still... but if I do want to make it easier to read along with the movie, I have to adjust it so that it's right at the bottom of the screen. The closer to the front you sit, the harder it is... you'll have to slouch a bit to make it work. The further back up you sit, the easier it is... the screen is already at a lower view.

With rear view captioning, you cannot move. Since it's based on reflection, moving will cause your viewing angle to change and you lose sight of the captioning that's showing from the back of the theater. It's a bit annoying to have to adjust it every time. As for seating, the same thing applies to the seating arrangements for digital captioning. However, one extra thing is that the further back you sit... the more awkward the captioning will be viewed.

Thank you for the information, the theater near me has the digital captioning, now I am really excited to go to the theater. No more having to wait for it to come out on DVD. Open captioning sounds more my style but I will try the digital captioning and see how that goes. Either way I will just be glad to know what is going on during the WHOLE movie and not having to ask every few minutes what the heck is going on.

Back