Captioning word "What"

Mossyfrog

Reaction score
Hi all. I am noticing more and more captions not witing out the word "what". For exapmple I'm watching a show and guy say's "the he** wrong with that cat". Where is "what". WHAT the h** is wrong with that cat. It really irratates me to no end. Is this perhaps a cultural thing? If captions are perhaps done in China or somewhere and they just don't have "what" in their vocabulary. I also notice this is how some rapers/other hip hop/etc speak, leaving out the "what" Exp: the h***.... Instead of what the he** ! Is there some strange corolation? Does anyone know why Captions seem to leave the word "what" out?

don't know? Do know there are problems, and my voice to text EH not so good either :hmm: I know a blogger addressed many problems, don't rember this being one:dunno2:

don't know? Do know there are problems, and my voice to text EH not so good either :hmm: I know a blogger addressed many problems, don't rember this being one:dunno2:
For me it's just really irratating. I was just watching the alien movie and the captions were leaving out the word "what" and I finally had it and had to come here to ask lol. I'm in my mid 50's and I've been seeing this more and more. So was wondering maybe I'm just old and this is a new way of speech? Esp, with the younger people. Who knows lol. All I know is it throws me off reading as I have a few seconds thinking...What....What so and so.

hmm no I haven't seen that. And no I hope it's not a new phrase lol. Is it on dvd captioning or subtitles? Or online streaming?

Again, no captioning will be perfect. Could be a glitch that your device or streaming is doing that. Try seeing the same movie on a different device and see what happens.

Maybe someone else experience that :dunno2:

Hi Dearheart12.
I haven't really thought about where I've seen it? What I use/watch more is Netflix and My own movies (copied from my DVD's to my computer) and getting subtitles from subscene website (if DVD's don't have it as most my movies are on old dvd's) . I have also noticed this on youtube but that's a big question of, is it youtubes really bad captioning or ? I don't see this all the time but sometimes and it's just irritating to me to say the least. I was just curious if perhaps it was a cultural thing wherever the captioning is created? Just the night before I was watching Alien and every sentence that was supposed to have a "what" was missing the "what". And it just reminded me that I see this sometimes and just had to come here and ask.

I don't remember seeing this problem. But it also looks like we may really be watching different things. I do know that I have run across a setting somewhere where you can cut out cuss words. If that kind of setting would happen to be on and combined with accent problems I could see it happening.

I don't remember seeing this problem. But it also looks like we may really be watching different things. I do know that I have run across a setting somewhere where you can cut out cuss words. If that kind of setting would happen to be on and combined with accent problems I could see it happening.
Well you got me thinking that perhaps it's the subs I get online, like subscene? I don't use anything that allows you to cut cuss words out. Just VLC video player. Maybe since Subscene has a huge amount of international subtitles, that many are created in some country where the deaf do not use the word "what"? So don't translate it to English captions? That wouldn't explain Netflix though? Maybe it's just me LOL. I see it every now and than and just really irritates me.

It can be either an slang or error- "the hell" or "the f***." The hell is just a slang shorter for what the hell. If you're a fan of older 1930s-50s movies, they usually shout "What the devil?" or "The devil...?" When it comes to captioning or subtitle, it could be an automated error or just a correct slang. I see y'all are women, right? Maybe y'all didn't see action and violent movies. They yell "the hell" or the f*** when they are in shock or rage. I watch violent/ action movies with my hearing hubby to be supportive. Ha. He watches chick movies with me, so we meet in the middle. Yay! In the books, the characters do yell "the hell!!"

Hi Dearheart12.
I haven't really thought about where I've seen it? What I use/watch more is Netflix and My own movies (copied from my DVD's to my computer) and getting subtitles from subscene website (if DVD's don't have it as most my movies are on old dvd's) . I have also noticed this on youtube but that's a big question of, is it youtubes really bad captioning or ? I don't see this all the time but sometimes and it's just irritating to me to say the least. I was just curious if perhaps it was a cultural thing wherever the captioning is created? Just the night before I was watching Alien and every sentence that was supposed to have a "what" was missing the "what". And it just reminded me that I see this sometimes and just had to come here and ask.
oh well, Youtube's captioning is not reliable. I haven't watched the paid ones but if you're watching any kind of videos on there it's not going to be accurate. Apparently now they have changed the way they do captioning. It is now all auto captions by voice recognition or manually captioned by the channel/video makers themselves. They used to have community captions which allows anyone to caption/transcribe their videos (it was helpful for a lot of deaf and disabled youtubers). However, since it was not being used enough and it often was abuse in a way that was not appropriate so they took it down. You could check out Rikki Poynter's videos about this.

Also they have been censoring captionging/subtitles some profainty. Where you're able to hear the swear word but the caption is all blank out. A little annoying. This is mentioned in Rikki Poynter's videos as well.

I usually enjoy some documentary type videos since it tends to be more clear for the captions to pick up on.

I haven't seen what you mentioned subscene or Netflix. I might get back to Netflix for a little bit. :)

I think Subscene is definitely been typed up by individuals so it is possible that you will get lot of errors. I do see a forum on that site maybe you could ask there too.

It can be either an slang or error- "the hell" or "the f***." The hell is just a slang shorter for what the hell. If you're a fan of older 1930s-50s movies, they usually shout "What the devil?" or "The devil...?" When it comes to captioning or subtitle, it could be an automated error or just a correct slang. I see y'all are women, right? Maybe y'all didn't see action and violent movies. They yell "the hell" or the f*** when they are in shock or rage. I watch violent/ action movies with my hearing hubby to be supportive. Ha. He watches chick movies with me, so we meet in the middle. Yay! In the books, the characters do yell "the hell!!"
Hum...That's very interesting, about it might be slang. I'm so unused to slang or modern English language involving slang. Never thought I would be irritated so much by slang and alt speech. In my teens I was a die hard valley boy lol. I guess getting up there in years I've become more sensitive to such things.

oh well, Youtube's captioning is not reliable. I haven't watched the paid ones but if you're watching any kind of videos on there it's not going to be accurate. Apparently now they have changed the way they do captioning. It is now all auto captions by voice recognition or manually captioned by the channel/video makers themselves. They used to have community captions which allows anyone to caption/transcribe their videos (it was helpful for a lot of deaf and disabled youtubers). However, since it was not being used enough and it often was abuse in a way that was not appropriate so they took it down. You could check out Rikki Poynter's videos about this.

Also they have been censoring captionging/subtitles some profainty. Where you're able to hear the swear word but the caption is all blank out. A little annoying. This is mentioned in Rikki Poynter's videos as well.

I usually enjoy some documentary type videos since it tends to be more clear for the captions to pick up on.

I haven't seen what you mentioned subscene or Netflix. I might get back to Netflix for a little bit. :)

I think Subscene is definitely been typed up by individuals so it is possible that you will get lot of errors. I do see a forum on that site maybe you could ask there too.
I did not know any of this regarding Youtube. Youtube has always been a pain for us who are deaf and need captions. Very interesting and I'll deffinatly check out Rikki Poynter. Thanks for the info deerheart12.

Hum...That's very interesting, about it might be slang. I'm so unused to slang or modern English language involving slang. Never thought I would be irritated so much by slang and alt speech. In my teens I was a die hard valley boy lol. I guess getting up there in years I've become more sensitive to such things.
The slangs are strange in any language, but any foreigner would have to learn slangs if one plans to learn to speak English. If you are fluent in Spanish, mamacita means mommy, but it is also used for endearment like sexy mommy, or hottie. That's a slang. English language is just weird. When we watch shows or movies, I can read the lips if it is an error or not. Sometimes I ask my husband if I am right to be sure. You can file complaint for CC/ subtitle error.

The slangs are strange in any language, but any foreigner would have to learn slangs if one plans to learn to speak English. If you are fluent in Spanish, mamacita means mommy, but it is also used for endearment like sexy mommy, or hottie. That's a slang. English language is just weird. When we watch shows or movies, I can read the lips if it is an error or not. Sometimes I ask my husband if I am right to be sure. You can file complaint for CC/ subtitle error.
Oh that's so funny that you mention reading lips. I became fluent in reading lips 1st before sign (which I'm still learning). Lived in California in an area which was a huge melting pot of different races/cultures. But even with non-slang speaking people sometimes I would do a double take, did I understand that right? Or completely misunderstand. Most of the time I would just go along, Only later being questioned on the topic or being included thus being caught that I actually lost the whole topic/story line/concept. Lip reading can be fun lol especially with people who use a lot of slang or have heavy accents.

Oh that's so funny that you mention reading lips. I became fluent in reading lips 1st before sign (which I'm still learning). Lived in California in an area which was a huge melting pot of different races/cultures. But even with non-slang speaking people sometimes I would do a double take, did I understand that right? Or completely misunderstand. Most of the time I would just go along, Only later being questioned on the topic or being included thus being caught that I actually lost the whole topic/story line/concept. Lip reading can be fun lol especially with people who use a lot of slang or have heavy accents.
I am a CA native, too. My parents are from different countries. I am used to listening to their accents since I was born. I also attended an International school full of foreign students. German accents are more challenge than Mexican accents because German people have to use their throats to speak their Deutsch language. It is as if they spit, and that's how they talk. I also learned that Swedes and Japaneses have similar pronunciations. For example, IKEA is what Americans usually say- I-kee-ah. Technically, it is incorrect. Japaneses do say it the correct way- Eee-kay-uh. That's how Swedes say it, too. I just have to force myself to memorize their different pronunciations, so I can understand them better. It's so confusing, huh? I can't pronounce long words since I can't hear myself too well. I just learned my right ear is declining further. Plan to shop for new powerful hearing aids next month.

I am a CA native, too. My parents are from different countries. I am used to listening to their accents since I was born. I also attended an International school full of foreign students. German accents are more challenge than Mexican accents because German people have to use their throats to speak their Deutsch language. It is as if they spit, and that's how they talk. I also learned that Swedes and Japaneses have similar pronunciations. For example, IKEA is what Americans usually say- I-kee-ah. Technically, it is incorrect. Japaneses do say it the correct way- Eee-kay-uh. That's how Swedes say it, too. I just have to force myself to memorize their different pronunciations, so I can understand them better. It's so confusing, huh? I can't pronounce long words since I can't hear myself too well. I just learned my right ear is declining further. Plan to shop for new powerful hearing aids next month.
That is really fascinating barbaro. Germans do have that spitting language haha. Never get into a verbal fight with one haha. My Mother (Family) grew up in both Japan and Turkey and had the immense blessings to be raised culturally diversified. So although my Mother was not deaf she understood dialects and language very well. She told me she learned language by watching (lip reading and gestures/facial) and hearing.
I'm totally deaf but do wear Cochlear's. Have a love/hate relationship with them lol. Now turning into hate :(. Finding out that after several years, support drops like a rock. Insurance and such. Did not know they only had (even the implant which cost over $100,000) warranty for 5yrs. Now they're beginning to fail. Latest is batteries barely run 1/2 a day and batteries, I just discovered last night, cost around $300 just for 1 !!! Insane. And no way can I afford another $100,000 for replacement implant. So ho hum lol. I should have just been happy with the way I was. Esp. now with new apps and tech on phones. Have you seen Googles live transcribe!! Amazing!!!!
Went off topic lol but felt this morning chatting :) and what you said was very interesting :) .

That is really fascinating barbaro. Germans do have that spitting language haha. Never get into a verbal fight with one haha. My Mother (Family) grew up in both Japan and Turkey and had the immense blessings to be raised culturally diversified. So although my Mother was not deaf she understood dialects and language very well. She told me she learned language by watching (lip reading and gestures/facial) and hearing.
I'm totally deaf but do wear Cochlear's. Have a love/hate relationship with them lol. Now turning into hate :(. Finding out that after several years, support drops like a rock. Insurance and such. Did not know they only had (even the implant which cost over $100,000) warranty for 5yrs. Now they're beginning to fail. Latest is batteries barely run 1/2 a day and batteries, I just discovered last night, cost around $300 just for 1 !!! Insane. And no way can I afford another $100,000 for replacement implant. So ho hum lol. I should have just been happy with the way I was. Esp. now with new apps and tech on phones. Have you seen Googles live transcribe!! Amazing!!!!
Went off topic lol but felt this morning chatting :) and what you said was very interesting :) .

I am sorry that your CI is not working out. Yes, warranty costs a fortune. I have a friend mentioned that he had to cough up thousands of dollars warranty every couple years for his dual CIs. It is one of the reasons I made a decision to not get a single CI for my right ear unless I am wealthy. Your insurance should have covered CI 100%. That's not right. How old are you? I have to pay extra next year for high end premium insurance, so it would cover dual hearing aids 100%. I am looking into Resound or Phonak right now.

I have been using Google Live Transcribe a lot for a while now since everyone wears a mask now. I have to tilt my head closer toward a person. One of them wore a mask asked me, "Can you read the lips?" I remind her she still had the mask on. She was like," I am sorry!" *snorts* I did put down a mic on my Christmas wish list for Google Live Transcribe. I look forward to it.

I am sorry that your CI is not working out. Yes, warranty costs a fortune. I have a friend mentioned that he had to cough up thousands of dollars warranty every couple years for his dual CIs. It is one of the reasons I made a decision to not get a single CI for my right ear unless I am wealthy. Your insurance should have covered CI 100%. That's not right. How old are you? I have to pay extra next year for high end premium insurance, so it would cover dual hearing aids 100%. I am looking into Resound or Phonak right now.

I have been using Google Live Transcribe a lot for a while now since everyone wears a mask now. I have to tilt my head closer toward a person. One of them wore a mask asked me, "Can you read the lips?" I remind her she still had the mask on. She was like," I am sorry!" *snorts* I did put down a mic on my Christmas wish list for Google Live Transcribe. I look forward to it.
I'm sorry, I miss-spoke. My single CI (Nuclius7) was paid for by Medicare but I still had to pay 20% of that and it was about $120,000 for the whole thing and at 20% was still a whole lot (for me) . And I'm told Medicare will not pay for another one or to take it out unless it's a serous issue such as infection. They consider all this (still) as cosmetic. And now, since mine is oldish and past the warranty (funny how that always happens, problems develop just when warranty ends) I'm finding the upkeep very expensive (Medicare will not pay for any of that, such as batteries) $300 for 1 battery! .Most deaf are on SSI and make around $800 (or a little more? not sure) who can afford that cost on that income? I'm luckier (if you can call it that lol) as I'm deaf-blind (legally blind) worked up to age 30 at a very good income and then started to lose my hearing and then 5 years later my sight (lost job, lost everything) I'm now late 50's. So I was able to claim SSDI (and had hi points from working and paying high taxes, so higher income) plus I have a small trust fund. So much better off then most but still unable to pay for such high maintenance costs with CI. Well, I can pay but then it's sacrifice this for that. I fall into a huge hole with insurance and charatable projects. To rich (LOL!) to qualify for help to poor to pay on my own. Exp. In order for me to qualify for Medicaid I need to pay a (?forgot what it's called?) fee to them of $500+/month, and that's just too much for me.
Oh man do I know what you mean about masks!! LOL. Being blind I can no longer read lips unless I get very, very close. But I got this CI in 2017 . WOW I can hear (sort of, more like being HH now) then this pandemic hits and I'm back to being deaf lol. So hard to understand what is being said because of masks now and all that glass in front of registers at stores and having to keep 6' from people. It's all very frustrating. Back to explaining to people, since now they always think, well I have a CI now so what's the problem. People really do think in black and white terms. Reminds me of when I was just losing my sight and I depended on lip reading. People don't like you getting nose touching distance from them so I can read their lips lol. It was so frustrating to communicate. Sure I learned sign but most people don't know sign so I needed to lip read. It's amazing what we deaf/deafblind/blind have to go through just to communicate with the rest of the world. How utterly exhausting it can be. And sometimes how you can feel like some sort of Alien. Just yesterday I was crossing the street and half way I see someone right in front of me in the middle of the street. And I'm wondering why are they just standing there, figured they were being kind and wanted to make sure I got across ok. I got up to maybe 2' from them and they were backing up, pacing me and I'm now really worried (lol) and then I realize they were filming me on their phone!!! Ya, film the strange deaf-blind person crossing the street LOL! I had such a nice day in till that moment and sunk into depression (once again) at how some look at me. think of me as a human (or not).

I'm sorry, I miss-spoke. My single CI (Nuclius7) was paid for by Medicare but I still had to pay 20% of that and it was about $120,000 for the whole thing and at 20% was still a whole lot (for me) . And I'm told Medicare will not pay for another one or to take it out unless it's a serous issue such as infection. They consider all this (still) as cosmetic. And now, since mine is oldish and past the warranty (funny how that always happens, problems develop just when warranty ends) I'm finding the upkeep very expensive (Medicare will not pay for any of that, such as batteries) $300 for 1 battery! .Most deaf are on SSI and make around $800 (or a little more? not sure) who can afford that cost on that income? I'm luckier (if you can call it that lol) as I'm deaf-blind (legally blind) worked up to age 30 at a very good income and then started to lose my hearing and then 5 years later my sight (lost job, lost everything) I'm now late 50's. So I was able to claim SSDI (and had hi points from working and paying high taxes, so higher income) plus I have a small trust fund. So much better off then most but still unable to pay for such high maintenance costs with CI. Well, I can pay but then it's sacrifice this for that. I fall into a huge hole with insurance and charatable projects. To rich (LOL!) to qualify for help to poor to pay on my own. Exp. In order for me to qualify for Medicaid I need to pay a (?forgot what it's called?) fee to them of $500+/month, and that's just too much for me.
Oh man do I know what you mean about masks!! LOL. Being blind I can no longer read lips unless I get very, very close. But I got this CI in 2017 . WOW I can hear (sort of, more like being HH now) then this pandemic hits and I'm back to being deaf lol. So hard to understand what is being said because of masks now and all that glass in front of registers at stores and having to keep 6' from people. It's all very frustrating. Back to explaining to people, since now they always think, well I have a CI now so what's the problem. People really do think in black and white terms. Reminds me of when I was just losing my sight and I depended on lip reading. People don't like you getting nose touching distance from them so I can read their lips lol. It was so frustrating to communicate. Sure I learned sign but most people don't know sign so I needed to lip read. It's amazing what we deaf/deafblind/blind have to go through just to communicate with the rest of the world. How utterly exhausting it can be. And sometimes how you can feel like some sort of Alien. Just yesterday I was crossing the street and half way I see someone right in front of me in the middle of the street. And I'm wondering why are they just standing there, figured they were being kind and wanted to make sure I got across ok. I got up to maybe 2' from them and they were backing up, pacing me and I'm now really worried (lol) and then I realize they were filming me on their phone!!! Ya, film the strange deaf-blind person crossing the street LOL! I had such a nice day in till that moment and sunk into depression (once again) at how some look at me. think of me as a human (or not).

Oh, gotcha! Is it possible that you can explain why you need an CI replacement since you became blind? It's serious issue, isn't it? I hoped you were under 26 years old if you're covered under your parents' plan, your CI would have taken care of. What state are you living in? So, your other ear is not implanted at all? Hearing aids are also considered cosmetic in most states. A few states like Maine and Arkansas passed the law to require insurers to cover hearing aids. How did you become blind? Do you have Usher? They probably filmed you and posted it on their social media. I have seen some of those videos, but I doubt they asked deaf-blind people for permission to post videos on social media. It is rude, huh? I am familiar with Tactile ASL, but I am not exactly fluent. I need to improve my skill again. I have done it with few deaf-blind people before.

I can't wait for COVID situation to go away next year and hopefully we will go back to normal, but not 100%. I am feeling optimistic.

Oh, gotcha! Is it possible that you can explain why you need an CI replacement since you became blind? It's serious issue, isn't it? I hoped you were under 26 years old if you're covered under your parents' plan, your CI would have taken care of. What state are you living in? So, your other ear is not implanted at all? Hearing aids are also considered cosmetic in most states. A few states like Maine and Arkansas passed the law to require insurers to cover hearing aids. How did you become blind? Do you have Usher? They probably filmed you and posted it on their social media. I have seen some of those videos, but I doubt they asked deaf-blind people for permission to post videos on social media. It is rude, huh? I am familiar with Tactile ASL, but I am not exactly fluent. I need to improve my skill again. I have done it with few deaf-blind people before.

I can't wait for COVID situation to go away next year and hopefully we will go back to normal, but not 100%. I am feeling optimistic.
I'm feeling optimistic as well. I mean, we have to right lol. Not much we can do but ride it out. Besides not the 1st time this has happened (virus) although the drastic tactics used I guess is (at least here in the U.S (I lived through the AIDs pandemic and understand as most gay men, the tactics of distancing and no touching and such).
I'm unfortunately living in Utah. I say unfortunate because I hate this state and really want to go back to Ca. And Utah has some of the worse when it comes to no support/no $ for such. Not as bad as some states but they keep up with them lol.
I was 30ish when hearing went and 5yrs later began losing eyesight. Due to brain virus and surgery's.
I decided to just have 1 implanted. At the time I was in a very bad way. It's a long story but basically when I finally lost all my hearing and a lot of my sight, to the point I was not able to work anymore, Then my mother died and I fell through the cracks very fast. Lost everything and became homeless. wandered around for a long time. When my sister finally found me, she brought me to Utah and then convinced me to get the implant. At that time I just said ok and went along but the thought of 2 implants was just to much for me so only agreed to 1. Looooong story lol.
about 2 years ago I studied Tactile Sign (not fluent still). It is rather an amazing way of communication isn't it. I knew ASL already so that helped a whole lot but still thought in the beginning that there was no way I could do this, HA! How can you understand language through touch? For me it was like algebra. One day it just clicked. Hey I understand! LOL. Still learning. Now with this virus (esp. in beginning) it was nearly impossible to use tactile. No touching and 6' distance. It still is. There have been time's I've felt, man I'm right back to being fully deaf-blind !! Unable to communicate. I do hope 2021 will be like coming out of a huge storm, where the sun is shinning and the smell of the world having been cleansed. 2021 has to be better.

I'm feeling optimistic as well. I mean, we have to right lol. Not much we can do but ride it out. Besides not the 1st time this has happened (virus) although the drastic tactics used I guess is (at least here in the U.S (I lived through the AIDs pandemic and understand as most gay men, the tactics of distancing and no touching and such).
I'm unfortunately living in Utah. I say unfortunate because I hate this state and really want to go back to Ca. And Utah has some of the worse when it comes to no support/no $ for such. Not as bad as some states but they keep up with them lol.
I was 30ish when hearing went and 5yrs later began losing eyesight. Due to brain virus and surgery's.
I decided to just have 1 implanted. At the time I was in a very bad way. It's a long story but basically when I finally lost all my hearing and a lot of my sight, to the point I was not able to work anymore, Then my mother died and I fell through the cracks very fast. Lost everything and became homeless. wandered around for a long time. When my sister finally found me, she brought me to Utah and then convinced me to get the implant. At that time I just said ok and went along but the thought of 2 implants was just to much for me so only agreed to 1. Looooong story lol.
about 2 years ago I studied Tactile Sign (not fluent still). It is rather an amazing way of communication isn't it. I knew ASL already so that helped a whole lot but still thought in the beginning that there was no way I could do this, HA! How can you understand language through touch? For me it was like algebra. One day it just clicked. Hey I understand! LOL. Still learning. Now with this virus (esp. in beginning) it was nearly impossible to use tactile. No touching and 6' distance. It still is. There have been time's I've felt, man I'm right back to being fully deaf-blind !! Unable to communicate. I do hope 2021 will be like coming out of a huge storm, where the sun is shinning and the smell of the world having been cleansed. 2021 has to be better.

Oh, dear. Your situation sounds complicated. I am very much familiar with Utah and there are so many problems about Utah. Utah is not a D/d/HH and disabled friendly community. I will never live there. No. Way. If anyone pays me a million dollar to live there, Nope! I am sure you have heard lots of bad jokes about Utah. People and Non Utah native Mormons outside of Utah like to use an offensive term for Utah- "Utard". Drivers are horrible, too. I have friends and relatives over there. I always have to fight for disabled community's rights to be recognized there and have to educate them, but all they told me is that I am not allowed to criticize even it is the truth. I have a HH friend there who is an attorney fighting for Deaf rights. Attorney is not popular there because he had filed lawsuits that no one else will do it, but at least he is doing the right thing to fight for Deaf community. About two years ago, attorney's Deaf client who sued the trucking company in Utah for discrimination, because they did not provide him interpreter for interview except told him to use Deaf client's daughter instead. The court agreed with Deaf client, but awarded him one dollar. One dollar?! What a joke. It was a big slap in the face.

Is there any way you could convince your sister to move you back to CA or NV where your needs are met?

Back