CapTel phones (or similar devices)

Have you tried contacting their Customer Service yet? I would recommend it before you return the phone. I'm not sure of the number, but I think if you go to their website Captel.com it should be pretty easy to find. Good luck!

I am having problems with my CapTel phone with 2 lines. It is now hanging up in the middle of a call. I have to un-plug it and wait 10 seconds then plug it back in. I think I have it too close to the router/modem and that's causing problems. Thinking I may just get rid of it and give it back to the Deaf Service Center to send back to the agency that provides them.

Agreeing with Amy - there should be a button on the phone to contact customer service, or emailing them - they will figure out what the problem is, or maybe even replace your phone at no charge.

Have you tried contacting their Customer Service yet? I would recommend it before you return the phone. I'm not sure of the number, but I think if you go to their website Captel.com it should be pretty easy to find. Good luck!

Agreeing with Amy - there should be a button on the phone to contact customer service, or emailing them - they will figure out what the problem is, or maybe even replace your phone at no charge.

Their only comment is to keep it at least 15 feet away from the computer and router. Well, I have until November before that can happen. Current living situation does not give me the space and room I need.

Just got my new Captel 840i installed yesterday after a workshop presentation. I love the captioned built-in answering machine! And so far the captions are fine for incoming and outgoing calls. Seems to be working smoothly on my computer network to access the Net for the captions. Love the bright larger screen plus choice of size fonts to read the captions. I can now just tell people to call my home phone # and/or not be afraid to answer the phone, not knowing if the call is for me, through the old special # Captel, or a call for my hearing husband. YES! :applause:We'll see how it goes. I have 30 days to try it out and if I don't like it, I get my $99 back. I don't think I'll be sending it back! :mrgreen:

Wonder if I can upgrade the one I have? Also, how do you get it working with the computer network?

I paid $99, fully refundable if I don't like it during 30 days trial period. I don't know how it is set up. The CapTel representative from the workshop came over and hooked it up for me. :P I had to provide my password to my network for the computer so the phone can access the internet (you don't have to be online and it doesn't interfere with your being online, but you *do* have to have high speed access, DSL). Here's a link to the specs:

CapTel 840i

This is *not* the freebie available through our California state program. They don't offer the 840i. You'd have to check with your state service to be sure what they offer. My state only offers the one requiring callers using the CapTel access phone # to call you so you get the captions. I have had the free one from the state but could never answer the home phone line because I never knew if it was coming through captioned from someone who had dialed the special access # or was a voice call for my husband (hearing). :| That is why I wanted this new version, so all calls coming in are captioned and people do not have to dial any special #s to call.

I paid $99, fully refundable if I don't like it during 30 days trial period. I don't know how it is set up. The CapTel representative from the workshop came over and hooked it up for me. :P I had to provide my password to my network for the computer so the phone can access the internet (you don't have to be online and it doesn't interfere with your being online, but you *do* have to have high speed access, DSL). Here's a link to the specs:

CapTel 840i

This is *not* the freebie available through our California state program. They don't offer the 840i. You'd have to check with your state service to be sure what they offer. My state only offers the one requiring callers using the CapTel access phone # to call you so you get the captions. I have had the free one from the state but could never answer the home phone line because I never knew if it was coming through captioned from someone who had dialed the special access # or was a voice call for my husband (hearing). :| That is why I wanted this new version, so all calls coming in are captioned and people do not have to dial any special #s to call.

Thanks for that info. Florida also does not get this through the "free" program. I may check into it after we get the new house done. I do have DSL and a good router. Router covers my printer, the netbook, 2 DSiXLs and the XBox 360.

It was an easy set up for the tech person because I already had a network set up for my wireless hard drive backup system, so I just had to sign the phone onto the network, and it was set! :aw: She did the plugging in & such, set up the software activation on the phone, did a test call, showed me the settings and how to access, etc., and we were actually done in a short amount of time. Chatted about the phone the rest of the hour, LOL! :mrgreen:

So far today I called in to confirm a medical appt. next week, and they called when I couldn't answer, so I got a message on the phone's answering machine, both audio *and* captioned. SO KEWL! :D

840i has not been trouble free

The phone has not been trouble free. :( I am keeping a log. Besides sometimes the captioning not kicking in & having to hang up & redial. Sometimes captions has also failed for incoming calls and I've had to ask people to hang up & call again. :o Also, one message so far did not have captions w/ voice so faint even w/ maxed out volume (on both hearing aids & phone) I could not hear speaker. Fortunately my DH (husband) was able to hear enough to get name + phone #. Other times message is fine and incoming & outgoing are fine. I have 30 days so will see how it goes...will email them my log to see what they may suggest, if the problems continue. When it works, it's awesome. When it's not... :noway: :ugh:

Today I finally got ticked off at the phone... I had to dial a number EIGHT times before the dang captioning kicked in before the call connected & I would get a stupid message the captioning had failed. No kidding, CapTel! :roll: So I hit the customer service button -- and even *that* captioning failed! :o So, I put my hearing DH (hubby) on and the upshot was that we can't do it wirelessly, even just across the room. Not enough signal strength. So phone is on the computer table next to the computer. DH connected the phone with an Ethernet cable. So now it appears to have solved the problem and the phone is showing full reception instead of 3 marks. I have a couple more weeks to continue evaluating. I'll get my $99 back and send them their phone if the service isn't better. I can always go back to never answering the phone, using my IP-Relay phone number for call backs, and use the free state Captel phone to call out. I'm thinking this technology, while totally worthy if we can actually answer our phones and not worry about incoming captioning or that people calling us are idiots who don't call the special access # to give us captioning. But it's useless if it's going to be erratic service... :hmm:

Today I finally got ticked off at the phone... I had to dial a number EIGHT times before the dang captioning kicked in before the call connected & I would get a stupid message the captioning had failed. No kidding, CapTel! :roll: So I hit the customer service button -- and even *that* captioning failed! :o So, I put my hearing DH (hubby) on and the upshot was that we can't do it wirelessly, even just across the room. Not enough signal strength. So phone is on the computer table next to the computer. DH connected the phone with an Ethernet cable. So now it appears to have solved the problem and the phone is showing full reception instead of 3 marks. I have a couple more weeks to continue evaluating. I'll get my $99 back and send them their phone if the service isn't better. I can always go back to never answering the phone, using my IP-Relay phone number for call backs, and use the free state Captel phone to call out. I'm thinking this technology, while totally worthy if we can actually answer our phones and not worry about incoming captioning or that people calling us are idiots who don't call the special access # to give us captioning. But it's useless if it's going to be erratic service... :hmm:

I live in California also. I have the free CapTel phone. I speak into the receiver and who ever calls, talks and the relay types to me. It works pretty well but not for long conversations. I only answer it if the person calling already knows I am deaf. We use the word "go ahead" when it is the other persons turn to talk. Yesterday relay was terrible, it depends on what operator you get I guess. I hope this new one works out for you. Good luck!!!!:hmm:

I have the free CapTel from Calif. state, too. The reason I wanted this one is that my husband is fully hearing and we share the same phone. So I never know if a call is for me (captioned) or for him, so I couldn't ever answer the phone unless someone said they would call at a special time. Then I would answer the phone. I wanted the freedom to answer and not have to ask people to dial the special CapTel access # first (some people just would *not* do it and would just dial my number direct :roll:). So that is why this technology is so appealing to me. But if it's not going to work consistently, it's not worth it. :( I never have had to redial because captioning did not kick in with the old freebie CapTel. Only with this new internet version.

Interesting, I didn't even know there was a special phone number for captioning. This is all so new to me, so sorry if this sounds stupid. My hubby is fully hearing also. I just look at the caller ID, and know if he or I should answer when he is home. My mom and hubby know how to call me, everyone else uses email. I do understand what you are saying. It would be nice to be able to handle what ever phone call I wanted. Im still to nervous about it. I do not miss all the sales calls:) I hope it works for you!!!

My understanding is that the CapTel works kind of like online gaming or watching a video on line, uploading and downloading the data. Sounds like something is interrupting that internet connection when the signal is wireless and that would cause the inability to connect with captions. It has to have a solid Internet connection to be able to send the captions to the phone. I understand there is a technical support team at CapTel that is really great about working with you to identify any possible WiFi setup issues. Many times something in the WiFi router configuration can be tweaked to improve the connection. They are even willing to talk to your internet provider directly to figure things out. I would recommend calling them or emailing them for help.

CS #888-269-7477 and email is captel@captel.com

Thanks, Amy. :) We did talk to them and ended up hooking the phone directly with an Ethernet cable. No go with operating wirelessly across the room from our computer setup. It works consistently now, but having it on the network *does* slow down our Internet feed. :( Found out our DSL is the 3.0 Mbps variety and that is just not enough "oomph" to handle both the phone and the Internet. However, the good news is I found out in our area DSL 6.0 Mbps is available at the same cost to use by our ISP. I am in the midst of working with them to get it set up. While these captioning phones just say "DSL" they should caution about the 3.0 Mbps DSL slower feed vs. faster speed, IMO. It can make a huge difference. We didn't have this download slowdown when online before we had the phone, so I know it's the addition of the phone that is causing the slowdown. Hopefully we'll get around that, though. ;)

Think I will be getting rid of my CapTel phone if we ever get the new house done. Too many problems all of a sudden. I am giving up the telephone for myself.

Next chapter with the CapTel internet phone... :eek3:

We did get our internet DSL service bumped up to 6.0 feed, but it didn't help with the "constipation" issues when online. :o So we rehooked everything into different ports as some techie online friends suggested, who were familiar with our Mac setup. That didn't help either. So we call the CapTel customer service tech back that helped us before and we are now conducting a new "experiment:" :giggle: we now turn off the captioning button on the phone whenever we are online, which disconnects the phone from the internet. We can still get captioning when the phone rings by first pushing the caption button on before lifting the handset. Then incoming/outgoing is captioned. When we're done with the internet, then we turn caption button back on, on the phone.

Hopefully this will take care of the random slowdowns when we're online and I still will have the benefits of the internet CapTel phone. :hmm:

I bought a CapTel 840I about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Regarding wi-fi,I couldn't get a consistent connection even though my router was only 1 1/2 feet from the phone. (?) Had to use an ethernet cable (supplied) to connect phone to router.

One problem with the phone involves the caller id. It never,I repeat NEVER,shows the phone number of incoming callers. It will only show name of caller and time of call. All other phones in my house show caller's name,phone number and time of call for incoming.

Ultratec/Captel tried to b.s. me,saying that the caller id display problem is related to what the incoming callers have worked out with their telephone providers. However,none of my incoming calls on the CapTel 840I show FULL caller id,which would be name,phone number,and time for incoming
calls.

The caller id display problem is a programming issue which CapTel/Ultratec
will not admit to.

Otherwise,it's a good phone. I'm glad I bought it.

Did get rid of my CapTel. Don't know which model it was. I have a CaptionCall now and still am not happy. My family seems to like it, but hates the short cord on the handset to base and we were told it could not be changed. When I tried, the phone did not work. You have to be within 5 inches of the phone to use it.

I have given up using a phone at all. If they can't text my cell, then they must not really want to talk to me.

Back