Captel 840i Updated thoughts from users???

podiecat

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking about trying this phone. I rarely talk on the phone anymore and when I do I use an old rotary phone with great little add-on amp.

I really need a captioned answering machine though (assuming it's accurately transcribed). I just tried an expensive answering machine that had sound boost button, playback speed dial and tone dial and I still could not understand what they were saying in the message.

For those that have used this phone, how do you feel about it now? Could you please tell me more about the answering machine part? How about sound quality and options during actual conversation?

Thanks....

I have decided to try the Captel 840i because there is no real answering machine in the CaptionCall phone. I need this primarily for Doctor office calls and messages.

Which do you think is the better Captel provider... Hamilton or Sprint? Which are more accurate in transcribing? I need to check which one I prefer when I order it.

Please let me know positive and negative experiences. Thanks...

Podiecat,

I bought a CapTel 840I 2 1/2 weeks ago. I previously had a CapTel 800.

Even though the 840I has an answering machine,it doesn't have true caller id,as advertised. Neither the CapTel 800 or 840I will show a caller's name,phone number,and time of call. They will only show caller's name and time of call. All other phones in my house have true,full caller id. I believe this is a programming problem with the CapTel phones that needs to be corrected.

Another programming problem with the 840I is that after setting time and date on the clock,within 15 to 20 seconds,the clock will automatically advance to the next minute.

Otherwise,I'm very happy with my new CapTel 840I.

Back