Capital D Deaf

I really HATE, they label me as Hearing Impaired !! grrrrr

I prefer, Deaf instead of deaf or Hearing Impaired...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

deaf=you can't hear
Deaf=you can't hear and are part of the Deaf Culture

There are lots of deaf that are not Deaf.

Did I get it?

deaf=you can't hear

Did I get it?

That's what I've always thought as well.

There is another group of DEAF persons- use Cochlear Implants and don't "belong to the Deaf community/culture".

There is another group of DEAF persons- use Cochlear Implants and don't "belong to the Deaf community/culture".

No , those people are just deaf.

You are the only one in the situation you describe.

Whether DEAF persons using a Cochlear Implant and not "subscribing" to "cultural ideology"- using ASL et al re deaf condition are a majority/minority-unknown.

Was the "fear" of Harlan Lane et al re that Cochlear Implants are "the instruments of genocide to the Deaf community"-accurate??
Also, wasn't the fear that persons using a Cochlear Implant would NOT learn ASL et al-overblown or in fact accurate?
Isn't there some "suggestions of the above" here in AllDeaf.com?

Not unduly concerned at the present time.

As noted before studying " deaf culture"a unit of Sociology-never boring!

Last edited:

deaf=you can't hear

Did I get it?
Yes, you got it. When people say "I am Deaf", they mean that they are deaf and proud to be a part of Deaf Culture. That's what I meant when I said "deaf with pride".

Old people with hearing loss don't say that because they are not a part of Deaf Culture. "I can't hear you because I am deaf so let me get my hearing aid."

Deaf is a part of Deaf culture that I can relate with, have in common, similiar experiences, comfortable with the kind of Deaf people without feeling awkward, without feeling of struggling, ASL, very communicative, feel normal and more.

To make you more clearly understandable of what is deaf and Deaf.

deaf is that a person can not hear sounds at all. It is a medical term for it.

Deaf is when deaf people are associated with ASL or sign language along with Deaf Culture. It is not pride but they are happy to be in the Deaf communities able to communicate in sign language.

Without sign language or ASL, you remain as oral deaf. Not the capital D. See the difference.

Deaf is when deaf people are associated with ASL or sign language along with Deaf Culture. It is not pride but they are happy to be in the Deaf communities able to communicate in sign language.

Without sign language or ASL, you remain as oral deaf. Not the capital D. See the difference.
Beo, not quite. I think there's another catagory, where the kid may not even have gone to deaf school/program and may not be fluent in ASL, but is still very much "almost Deaf".....like they don't view their deafness negatively, the way some people do.....

Beo, not quite. I think there's another catagory, where the kid may not even have gone to deaf school/program and may not be fluent in ASL, but is still very much "almost Deaf".....like they don't view their deafness negatively, the way some people do.....

Still doesn't make them Deaf. Bebonang gave a good description.

Depends on time, place, and person.

I am hearing. My ASL skills have roller coasted depending on who I am around. I have moved around a lot in my life and have not always been where Deaf people were.

In some communities I have been considered Deaf. In others not.

I am whatever you see me to be.

But I can tell you this. My attitude is not "Hearing." And it is definitely Deaf towards AGBell.

I reading to comment, i understand
person said if suppose deaf person have many lots of people , if you have deaf become lose hearing, If suppose,

Oral is very deaf hearing lossing to become loss your become deaf what is I can't hear - I am deaf,

I remember AG Bell is said what said Deaf mostly on means I speak to you,

Deaf Cultures two perceptive points person different deaf and hearing, different clear, I notice

Deaf= Person is can't hear

Hearing impairing sense no clear understand, I don''t understand what is point Hearing impairing ? label?

Hearing of hard = Person loss hearing some can hear (deaf)

Last edited:
I am not confused that I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006 .My audiogram in early 2007-St Michaels Hospital ENT Clinic/Toronto clearly show NO HEARING at 105db.

It is not difficult to determine if one hears NOTHING just SILENCE. My Phonak LL6 was "useless"!

Thus started the process for Cochlear Implant determination-Sunnybrook/Toronto February 4, 2007.
Fortunately successful. Just crossed almost 5 years.

I am still bilateral DEAF-right now! That situation will never change.

I acknowledge the above is NOT written in ASL syntax thus "possible to perceive as obscure".

As always-more discussion "culture/Sociology"

I am not confused that I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006 .My audiogram in early 2007-St Michaels Hospital ENT Clinic/Toronto clearly show NO HEARING at 105db.

It is not difficult to determine if one hears NOTHING just SILENCE. My Phonak LL6 was "useless"!

Thus started the process for Cochlear Implant determination-Sunnybrook/Toronto February 4, 2007.
Fortunately successful. Just crossed almost 5 years.

I am still bilateral DEAF-right now! That situation will never change.

I acknowledge the above is NOT written in ASL syntax thus "possible to perceive as obscure".

As always-more discussion "culture/Sociology"

You repeat the same thing over and over many times that we ignore you or not bother to read you. Nothing new about you. Just your CI and your swimming which require you to be in silence. **shaking my head**

Not unduly concerned as to "some members"-ignore. Such is life on computers.
The reason I keep repeating the same facts is "some members" clearly misconstrue what I have said. ( Doesn't seem to fit their conception of DEAFness,)

Interesting exercise: read backwards to perceive where member "coming from"!

More thoughts in Sociology-Culture-"deaf"

Just for the OP, Ignore Dr. Phil's comments as she alone has created her own identity of DEAF in all caps. which best I have figured means she is Hearing with her CI and can hear no sound without it and she would be identified as culturally Hearing by Deaf persons. There are 2 generally accepted terms deaf meaning the physiological/ medical of deafness as a loss of hearing and focus only on the medical ramification of such. A capital D Deaf is the cultural view of deafness with the primary requirement that Sign Language and ASL in the USA are the natural language of the Deaf. You cannot be Deaf and not know ASL... It is a culture based on common language, traditions, shared experiences, history etc..

Yes hearing people can be culturally Deaf. Many CODA's, some interpreters, some hearing spouses/ significant others of Deaf persons etc.
My source of expertise to comment on this:
B.A Deaf Studies, CSU Northridge.
I am Deaf, Married to Deaf and have 2 CODA's

PS, an easy way to see who is deaf or Deaf on a forum is look at their signature or posts, culturally hearing will often post the exact dates of their CI surgery, DB loss, brand of HA, CI etc. they all obsess on their hearing loss. Deaf just take it as a part of who they are and rarely will discuss such and probably don't even know the exact loss etc.

Just for the OP, Ignore Dr. Phil's comments as she alone has created her own identity of DEAF in all caps. which best I have figured means she is Hearing with her CI and can hear no sound without it and she would be identified as culturally Hearing by Deaf persons. There are 2 generally accepted terms deaf meaning the physiological/ medical of deafness as a loss of hearing and focus only on the medical ramification of such. A capital D Deaf is the cultural view of deafness with the primary requirement that Sign Language and ASL in the USA are the natural language of the Deaf. You cannot be Deaf and not know ASL... It is a culture based on common language, traditions, shared experiences, history etc..

Yes hearing people can be culturally Deaf. Many CODA's, some interpreters, some hearing spouses/ significant others of Deaf persons etc.
My source of expertise to comment on this:
B.A Deaf Studies, CSU Northridge.
I am Deaf, Married to Deaf and have 2 CODA's

PS, an easy way to see who is deaf or Deaf on a forum is look at their signature or posts, culturally hearing will often post the exact dates of their CI surgery, DB loss, brand of HA, CI etc. they all obsess on their hearing loss. Deaf just take it as a part of who they are and rarely will discuss such and probably don't even know the exact loss etc.

That make sense. **hmmm** I go for that. :)

First off I am male not female. My name is Bill/William.

If one DOESN"T accept the paradigm- "cultural/oppression by hearing person" as espoused by SOME "Deaf Militants"-not my problem.

I am still bilateral DEAF notwithstanding if some "Deaf Militants" disagree. To date since December 20, 2006-no effect in my life.

The usual proviso-are "computers comments" REAL? Especially with contradictions!

How ironic- when I joined Alldeaf.com 2 years ago- I didn't much reference to actual dates-was questioned here to when "it" happened. I wasn't born Deaf. Thus "it" does seem to have "some effect " on one's later life. Most of us don't "pick and choose" when DEAFness occurs.At least I didn't,

More discussion in Sociology- culture"deaf"

First off I am male not female. My name is Bill/William.

If one DOESN"T accept the paradigm- "cultural/oppression by hearing person" as espoused by SOME "Deaf Militants"-not my problem.

I am still bilateral DEAF notwithstanding if some "Deaf Militants" disagree. To date since December 20, 2006-no effect in my life.

The usual proviso-are "computers comments" REAL? Especially with contradictions!

How ironic- when I joined Alldeaf.com 2 years ago- I didn't much reference to actual dates-was questioned here to when "it" happened. I wasn't born Deaf. Thus "it" does seem to have "some effect " on one's later life. Most of us don't "pick and choose" when DEAFness occurs.At least I didn't,

More discussion in Sociology- culture"deaf"

But as you don't like ASL or Deaf people, you don't actually mind if people view you as a hearing person who happened to become deaf, do you?

Back