Can't Keep Your Pet?

DeafCaroline

Reaction score
The cold hard truth about animal shelters and why spaying/neutering your dog or cat is IMPORTANT!

You can't keep your pet? Really?

~By a Shelter Director

Our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call.
As a shelter manager, I am going to share
a little insight with you all...
a "view from the inside" - if you will.

First off, any of you whom have surrendered a pet
to a shelter or humane society should be made to work
in the "back" of an animal shelter - for just ONE DAY.

Maybe if you saw the life drain from those sad,
lost, confused eyes, you'd stop flagging the ads on here
and help these animals find homes.

That puppy you just dropped off will most-likely end up
in my shelter when it's no longer a cute little puppy anymore.

Just so you know, there's a 90% chance that your dog will never
walk out back out, once entered in to the shelter system...
Purebred or not!

About 25% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays"
that come into a shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses: "We're moving and can't take our dog (or cat)."
Really? Where are you moving to that doesn't allow pets?
Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would".
How big did you think a German Shepherd would get?
"We don't have time for her".
Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs!
"She's tearing up our yard".
How about making her a part of your family?
"We just don't want to have to stress about finding
a place for her & we know she'll get adopted,
she's a good dog".

Odds are, your pet won't get adopted
& how stressful do you think it is for your pet?

Did you know...
Your pet has 72 hours to find a new family
from the moment you drop it off?
Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full
and your dog/cat manages to stay completely healthy.

If it sniffles, it is euthanized.

Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room
with other barking & crying animals.
It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps.
It will be depressed and will cry constantly for you.
If your pet is lucky, there will be enough volunteers in that day
to take him/her for a walk.
If not, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food
slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of it's pen
with a high-powered hose.
If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds
(pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when
you walked it through the front door.
If your cat is scared and doesn't act friendly enough,
or if it catches a cold (which most of them 'do'),
it will be put to sleep.
Those dogs & cats just don't get adopted.
In most cases, it doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.
If your pet doesn't get adopted within it's 72 hours
and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.
If the shelter isn't full and your pet is good enough,
and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution,
but not for long.

Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are
destroyed for showing aggression.
Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment.

If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it
will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be
destroyed because the shelter gets paid a fee to euthanize each animal and
making money is better than spending money to take this animal to the vet.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a
perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down".

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash.
They always look like they think they are going for a walk...
happy, wagging their tails...
until they get to "The Room",
every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when they get to the door.
It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there.
It's strange, but it happens with every one of them.
Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 shelter workers,
depending on the size and how freaked out they are.
Then a shelter worker who we call a "euthanasia tech (not a vet)"
finds a vein in the front leg and injects a lethal dose of the "pink stuff".

Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerks.
I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood...
the yelps and screams are deafening.

They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while,
gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

You see, shelters are trying to make money to pay employee pay checks
and then, there's the board of directors...
who need to be paid too!

Consequently, corners are cut, & we don't spend our funds to
tranquilize the animal before injecting them with the lethal drug,
we just put the burning lethal drug in their vein and let them suffer until dead.

If it were not a business for profit, we'd do it humanely and hire a
licensed vet do this procedure.
That way, the animal would be sedated or tranquilized and THEN euthanized.

But to do this procedure correctly would only cost more money...
so we don't necessarily do what is right for the animal,
we do what's expedient so we can continue to make a buck!

Shelters do not have to have a vet perform their euthanasia procedures.
Oftentimes, they are untrained personnel administering lethal injections.
So... that employee may take 50 pokes with a needle and 3 hours to get inside the vein.

In the end, your pet's corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer,
usually in the back of the building with all of the other animals that were killed.
There they will sit until being picked up like garbage.

What happens next? Cremated?
Taken to the dump?
Rendered into pet food?
Or used for schools to dissect and experiment on?

You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind.

After all, it was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?!

I hope that those of you who still have a beating heart and have read this
are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head.
I deal with this everyday.
I hate my job, I hate that it exists &
I hate that it will always be there unless you people make changes
and start educating yourselves, your children, the public.
Do the research, do your homework, and know exactly
what you are getting into before getting a pet.
These shelters and humane societies exist because people just do not care about animals anymore.
And PLEASE stop breeding!

Animals were not intended to be disposable but somehow that is what they've become.

For those of you that care---
please repost this to at least one other Craigslist in another City/State.
Let's see if we can get this all around the US and have an impact

Want to have a bad day? Go visit your local animal shelter.

If I were to get a dog or cat, I would get it from an animal shelter.

It's for three reasons... pets in shelters are more needy and cheaper than those from pet stores. They are also spayed/neutered.

I would rather save a mixed breed (or pure breed) from an animal shelter for $100 (already spayed/neutered) than to spend $1,000 from only a pure breed from a pet store only to pay more to have it spayed/neutered.

If I were to get a dog or cat, I would get it from an animal shelter.

It's for three reasons... pets in shelters are more needy and cheaper than those from pet stores. They are also spayed/neutered.

I would rather save a mixed breed (or pure breed) from an animal shelter for $100 (already spayed/neutered) than to spend $1,000 from only a pure breed from a pet store only to pay more to have it spayed/neutered.

I have friends who find their pets through Craigslist. Most of the time the shots are up to date and they are also already spayed or neutered and usually free.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

The story about it gives me the chills...

Anyway, we got out dog named Kyle at the Humane Society in Marin County in California when he was 3 years old and he passed away in 2007 at 14 years old which is old for an English Setter breed. Their average is 11-12 years. I think its a good idea to adopt animals from the shelters to save their lives. Pet stores selling them are rip offs and can be possibility from puppy mills.

Only adopting your pets from shelters is one way to help. Our shelter here is where my charity donations go also.

And able bodied family members have volunteered. At many shelters, you can go and walk dogs and pet and play with cats to help them get through their time.

This summer, our rescue league has a program to give the cats a vacation and people can take them home for the summer even if they can't adopt.

And this is also part of the city animal control. They try very hard to get homes and send animals out to foster homes, and dogs with kennel cough are adopted out too. The new owners are just made aware and given antibiotics.

So all shelters are not created equal. It anyone gets into the terrible position of being homeless and unable to keep their pet, they should look for a good shelter, although I hope that doesn't happen to any of you.

I am upset that my little Marty was shipped 3,000 miles to a Massachusetts animal shelter when he was so sick! The rescues people almost killed Marty by trying to keep him from being put to sleep! I wanted to get a black dog as more black dog as put to sleep than other dogs. But I could find one the one I saw where streets dogs and I did not want dog that had to fight for it food around my granddaughter. I think it horrible that people do not get their pets fixed! When I took in a homeless cat the first I did was to see if she needed to fixed , and had it done.

Only adopting your pets from shelters is one way to help. Our shelter here is where my charity donations go also.

And able bodied family members have volunteered. At many shelters, you can go and walk dogs and pet and play with cats to help them get through their time.

This summer, our rescue league has a program to give the cats a vacation and people can take them home for the summer even if they can't adopt.

And this is also part of the city animal control. They try very hard to get homes and send animals out to foster homes, and dogs with kennel cough are adopted out too. The new owners are just made aware and given antibiotics.

So all shelters are not created equal. It anyone gets into the terrible position of being homeless and unable to keep their pet, they should look for a good shelter, although I hope that doesn't happen to any of you.
I was foster mom to some kitten once and I did not want to give back! My condo does not allow pets so I can't be a foster mother. The cat shelter wanted me to take a litter of kittens because the 2 cats I took care of got home right away!

My doggie "Anita" (a purebred Pomeranian) is the most valuable thing I own. She's my baby, even at age 4......whenever I wake in the AM, she is patiently awaiting for me to open my eyes....whenever she needs to go out...she gently licks my leg...she comes running whenever I call her. And goes with me everywhere!...She does laugh and smile, even somewhat "chuckles"....There have been many times when she will just "stare" into my eyes for a long time....I see the "love" there!

No way would I move somewhere they didn't allow pets...or simply just get "tired" of cleaning up some accidents that do happen here and there....Or even abuse her....

Anyhow, good post!...

I still plan to go to SPCA for a puppy. I like the mutt dog very much rather than the breed dog. I am toooooo scared of adopting a puppy. LOL

With a certainty, pets available for sale in pet stores are from puppy mills, no question about it.

If someone really, truly has to find a new home for a loved pet, you can always try a breed rescue if your dog is a pure-bred, or an all-breed rescue if it's a mixed breed. Usually the rescue organizations have their adoptable dogs and cats living with foster families, so the dog does not get "kennel defensive" or pick up diseases or bad behavioral habits from a shelter.

My sister-in-law fosters dogs all the time. She usually has anywhere from two to four, even five (if puppies) dogs at home with her nearly all the time, plus her own adorable Basset. Her fosters have all found good homes, she says, and I know she puts a lot of effort into their initial training so they will adapt well to their future homes.

I always suggest - 3 places to get new pets from:

REPUTABLE shelter-

REPUTABLE rescue-

REPUTABLE breeder-

for "average" pet home - DO NOT adopt from: pet shops,newspapers, CraigsList, other ads, flea markets, back of someone's truck, your mail carrier - etc.

DO NOT shop for pet supplies in shops that sell puppies - even though you're not getting a puppy, you're patronizing a business that sells and perpetuates misery.

with the exception of possibly deals between friends and family,EXEPCT to pay something for the new pet. "Free to good home ads" tend to mean the original family or owners just want to get the pet out, without checking background of adopters.

rescues are certainly a good place to go if a family has truly fallen on desperate times and can not keep their pet; unfortunately, so many rescues - and shelters -are so full for this reason. But they can still be good contacts to pass along another possibility for you.

there are also organizations <aside from rescue groups> devoted to a specific breed, or to a specific pet illness or family emergency, that MAY offer one-time grants, respite or other assistance to a family in need, this list is an example of grants available for shelters AND individuals: Animal Shelter and Animal Rescue Grants <scroll down>

I always suggest - 3 places to get new pets from:

REPUTABLE shelter-

REPUTABLE rescue-

REPUTABLE breeder-

for "average" pet home - DO NOT adopt from: pet shops,newspapers, CraigsList, other ads, flea markets, back of someone's truck, your mail carrier - etc.

DO NOT shop for pet supplies in shops that sell puppies - even though you're not getting a puppy, you're patronizing a business that sells and perpetuates misery.

with the exception of possibly deals between friends and family,EXEPCT to pay something for the new pet. "Free to good home ads" tend to mean the original family or owners just want to get the pet out, without checking background of adopters.

rescues are certainly a good place to go if a family has truly fallen on desperate times and can not keep their pet; unfortunately, so many rescues - and shelters -are so full for this reason. But they can still be good contacts to pass along another possibility for you.

there are also organizations <aside from rescue groups> devoted to a specific breed, or to a specific pet illness or family emergency, that MAY offer one-time grants, respite or other assistance to a family in need, this list is an example of grants available for shelters AND individuals: Animal Shelter and Animal Rescue Grants <scroll down>

I adopted a dog from person that had an ad in the new paper and she was a get dog!

Our 2 cats came from hubby's boss. He got them from the shelter. He also got a dog from the shelter. He got the animals when his wife was still alive. He is being very particular about who gets the animals. The reason he had to find new homes was due to his wife's death and he wants to downsize. He works too many hours in a day and feels it is not fair to the pets to be left alone for so long. The cats are now very happy and more sociable than he ever knew them to be. He still can't find a good home for "Buddy" who needs a yard to run in and is very hyper and not safe for older people.

I think getting a pet from an individual is not a bad idea as long as they can prove the pet is healthy and has all current shots and such. Luckily "joe" was able to provide all the information and we are using the same vet.

whatdidyousay, I'm so glad for you that you adopted a great dog from the paper - but you were also very, VERY lucky-

am also happy for you, Kristina, that you had a good experience - having all that information is so important!

Want to have a bad day? Go visit your local animal shelter.

I still go semi-regularly with the hopes that I can make a tiny portion of their day very very slightly less miserable.

I was confused, though - are there shelters that are run for-profit, like the original post (seemed to) claim? Around here, all of the shelters are run by the SPCA, who (as far as I know) are all non-profits.

I kept my cat when I moved out because my parents wanted to take her to the SPCA to have put down because she refused to use her litter box regularly. Still doesn't use it regularly, but I've had her for about 10 years now and didn't want her to be put down, which I knew would happen if she was taken anywhere other than a no-kill shelter (of which there are two in my city, both of which are almost entirely at capacity).

Back