Can you take some money from SSI and put them on a seperate debit card?

pedro2

Reaction score
Hi I receive SSI by checks not by debit card because they don't accept it by debit card.I do spend some money from the checks that they give every months and aside from that I get the lump sum or something like that is call SSI give an chunk of money 6 month I think that's how it is I'm not sure.What I would like to know is if I could take some money from SSI and put it separate in an debit card I don't have an debit card or credit card yet because I need to have an account by checking or saving but I don't know if I could have two accounts.

Open a checking or saving account at a bank and have your SSI direct-deposited into it. And then get cash from an ATM. Would that be a problem for you?

Edited: You can use a debit (ATM) card provided by the bank to make a purchase.

What Crazy Paul said.

Direct deposit is by far the safer way to go. In fact I thought all government payments now were only made by direct deposit.

Pedro2,

Crazy Paul makes a good point.

I'm on SSI myself.

As long as you keep your bank account and other cash assets below $2000,
you should be fine.

There's one exception to the $2000 rule. One's initial SSI payment is calculated back to a "date of disability" and might be more than $2000. Said initial payment must be drawn down within approximately six months/180 days (not 100% sure?) to below $2000 to avoid losing SSI.

Pedro2,

Crazy Paul makes a good point.

I'm on SSI myself.

As long as you keep your bank account and other cash assets below $2000,
you should be fine.

There's one exception to the $2000 rule. One's initial SSI payment is calculated back to a "date of disability" and might be more than $2000. Said initial payment must be drawn down within approximately six months/180 days (not 100% sure?) to below $2000 to avoid losing SSI.
I don't think that SSA can check your bank account without your approval. It's against banks' policy. They will reveal the account with your approval or by a court order.

Edited: Did SSA ask you to sign your name to authorize it (allow SSA to look at your bank account occasionally)?

I don't think that SSA can check your bank account without your approval. It's against banks' policy. They will reveal the account with your approval or by a court order.
Not to jack this thread, but i believe that the banks & gummit are in bed together-

Not to jack this thread, but i believe that the banks & gummit are in bed together-
It's possible if the banks get fucked for money but I can sue my bank for disclosure without my permission. My bank account is mine, no one else's business.

Edited: Did SSA ask you to sign your name to authorize it (allow SSA to look at your bank account occasionally)?

That is only for SSI that SSA/IRS has rights to contact with BANK to check if they save over 2000 then they would be overpaid right way in following that month.

That is only for SSI that SSA/IRS has rights to contact with BANK to check if they save over 2000 then they would be overpaid right way in following that month.
It's still not right. Anyway, one guy with whom I talked once hid alot of money at home so what's the use for SSA to check his bank account? The point is that SSI recipients can put away their saved money somewhere else and SSA wouldn't know it.

It's still not right. Anyway, one guy with whom I talked once hid alot of money at home so what's the use for SSA to check his bank account? The point is that SSI recipients can put away their saved money somewhere else and SSA wouldn't know it.

what do you mean by that ssa has no rights to look into anyone who is on SSI benefit? They dont work and get SSI. Hello?

SSI is a welfare thingy.

AND it's OUR freaking Taxes that goes to welfare people.

I'm not familiar with the rules for SSI but I suspect that there could be a clause in all those applications that get signed that states you are giving them permission to have access to your bank records. :dunno:

I'm not familiar with the rules for SSI but I suspect that there could be a clause in all those applications that get signed that states you are giving them permission to have access to your bank records. :dunno:

yes the application says it all, any time when the claims representative ask claimant to let them know if they sign on the application to let ssi representative looks into claimants bank statment or any resouce income information. If the claimants say no then SSI claim will be denied right away. Unless the claimant lied, then IRS will catch them, not in SSA's hands. :aw: actually, the claimants will be overpaid and SSI still be stopped and may be deduct by IRS if the claimants expect to have tax returns of $$.

I do know that when my daughter got SSI, we were required to have a bank account for her as they would not mail a check to her. She was 7 at the time. Also, I had to send a copy of the receipts and bank statement every month. I had to show that the money was spent for her use only. I was allowed to take our weekly grocery bill and other than specific items for her, I took the bill and divided the bill by 5 (5 people in the house) and then that portion was taken from her account and placed into mine.

I never had a problem for the 3-4 years she was on SSI.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Banks require account holders' authorization, permission or approval to reveal their accounts. (Also court orders are required by banks for lawyers, DA, and law enforcements to have access to someone's bank account.)

My wife and I have SSI/SSA dark green debit card (Direct Express as direct deposit) with Master Card logo on it without any bank account no problem for one year (April 2011). We still able to withdraw money at 10 pm the day before the 1st and 3rd each monthly.

Last edited:
Hi I receive SSI by checks not by debit card because they don't accept it by debit card.I do spend some money from the checks that they give every months and aside from that I get the lump sum or something like that is call SSI give an chunk of money 6 month I think that's how it is I'm not sure.What I would like to know is if I could take some money from SSI and put it separate in an debit card I don't have an debit card or credit card yet because I need to have an account by checking or saving but I don't know if I could have two accounts.

You have 2 choices. get a free debit card from SSA or have it direct deposited to your debit card account.

all info is here Social Security Online - How to Sign Up for Direct Deposit

Whats the problem of going in to your local bank to get your complete direct deposit information if you already have a debit card?! You can't use the debit card number- but you can use the bank routing number and account information that you debit card goes to.

Don't say they don't accept your debit card. Nobody explained to you HOW to set it up WITH your debit card if you already have an account your debit card goes to.

if you are still confused- just tell tell us here... we can help.

Well it does notify them if the account hold more than 2,000 dollars. Again, it not just bank. It can also your car, own house value than 2,000. SSI cut, period. Even on your pre-paid.

Even you are saving money without use bank system just like under your bed. If you final have enough money to buy an car that worth over 2,000. SSA will know about this because you have to pay tax for car tag.

Again, SSI is just resource and that not do anything better. The job is only way until I got laid off. I am on SSDI because I am not quality of SSI due I have several value are more than 2,000. SSDI still let you go work and SSI don't...

Can you believe that in 1982 that 10% until today 2012 are 42% that big sum leap and it label say DEAF ADULT..

i would love to know how they supposed to get cut off from ssi if she is getting big child support? big enough to pay for car payments.... my ex plays the deaf and dumb game just to get ssi i don't understand how people would live off 600 something a month and now she is trying to label our son with "adhd" just to get ssi for him also i am going to make sure she don't and i am already taking her to court cause i have joint legal rights to my son and i am not letting her to label my son "stupid"..pretty sad i bust my ass for some one to just do nothing and feel sorry for them self cause they are deaf....

i would love to know how they supposed to get cut off from ssi if she is getting big child support? big enough to pay for car payments.... my ex plays the deaf and dumb game just to get ssi i don't understand how people would live off 600 something a month and now she is trying to label our son with "adhd" just to get ssi for him also i am going to make sure she don't and i am already taking her to court cause i have joint legal rights to my son and i am not letting her to label my son "stupid"..pretty sad i bust my ass for some one to just do nothing and feel sorry for them self cause they are deaf....

I understand what you mean, if the parent look for a way to get extra source income. If the kid have ADHD or any thing condition try get foot in SSA for SSI. They are going to adjust that ADHD isn't count for SSI. I don't know when they are going to update due the deficit economy.

SSI isn't stand for stupid, it a RESOURCE and wasting

Back