Can you read Braille?

RBDShadow

Reaction score
A little funny/ignorant thing happened to me today at work.

While me and my co-worker were just chilling, wiping some stuff down, waiting for customers (I work at a mall, mind you).
My co-worker (Let's call him John) was asking me some questions about ASL because he had seen me communicate with a customer in ASL because the customer was deaf. And since then, he's been kind of interested in it.
While I was answering his questions, he asks a question, right out of the blue, even I wasn't expecting it, "Sooooo, can you read braille then?"

My face turned red really fast and I definitely had to walk away from him to keep myself from going off. I've not had anyone ask me that before so I had no idea what to do or say or how to respond, all I did was walk away. His face was red from embarrassment for sure.

What are your thoughts on this?
Has anyone ever asked you an embarrassing/ignorant question(s)?

Oh yeeah I had a high student kid asked me about the braille. i answered him that " i can see you with my own eyes. He got a red face. ha

One time, Mcdonald, she took the menu with braille and hand it to me. I smiled and gave her a hint that I dont do braille, then it dawned on her then she handed me a pen and paper. haha

I had this happen to me on a flight before...I pre-boarded and told the flight attendant I was deaf and he then came back to my seat during the safety instructions and asked me If I wanted a braille card ...I was like "no thanks" with a smile mind you...some people just are genuinely not taught about disabilities and I didn't wanna be rude with the guy ...but you'd think someone such as a flight attendant should be more aware? lol guess not...
I've also had someone remark about how smart it is that the city installed beeps at the cross walks so that deaf people could know when to cross..this was a person I knew well so I responded with "The beeps are for the blind not the deaf you idiot deaf ppl can see the WALK signal ...how are the deaf people supposed to hear beeps?!...*shake my head*" they kinda blushed and said "haha you're right" ...people these days lol

I have been asked a couple of times if I knew Braille as I am bilateral DEAF. Answer- NO.
A factual statement.

I was told that its near impossible for a sighted person to learn read braille by touch but many blind schools require staff to learn to read braille in a printed form such as black dots on white paper... there is also 2 forms of braille, one is the individual letters and numbers etc. the other is a shorthand version of sorts with complete words and syllables or something along those lines... that about all i know about it...
Next time a waiter brings you a braille menu Just point to some of the dots showing what you want... then when the waiter replies Sorry I don't read braille you can say/write "me neither, I am Deaf not Blind":giggle:

Considering this is Alldeaf.com-what about the Blind/Deaf and their "system"?

Hey, next time show your driver license. THen ask, do people who need braille card drive??

If you wanted to be funny, you would say, yes, I'm deaf, and I do read braille card and drive cars with turbocharged engine. A nice combo, can you say???

I was told that its near impossible for a sighted person to learn read braille by touch but many blind schools require staff to learn to read braille in a printed form such as black dots on white paper... there is also 2 forms of braille, one is the individual letters and numbers etc. the other is a shorthand version of sorts with complete words and syllables or something along those lines... that about all i know about it...
Next time a waiter brings you a braille menu Just point to some of the dots showing what you want... then when the waiter replies Sorry I don't read braille you can say/write "me neither, I am Deaf not Blind":giggle:

Did you know that only a small percentage of blind/low vision kids read Braille as their primary reading medium? One of my friends went to Perkins and never got to learn Braille?

Considering this is Alldeaf.com-what about the Blind/Deaf and their "system"?

I am guessing you have never done tactile ASL with a Deaf/Blind person? Takes a bit of getting used too. they put there hand over yours then you sign but you have to modify your signing style for the person's needs

No I haven "done "tactile ASL. I did see it being done at a Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto class. What I saw was person using their finger on palm of a Blind/deaf person. Didn't appear to be ASL but "jabs on the palm".-variant on braille?
Different systems between Canada and the United States?

No I haven "done "tactile ASL. I did see it being done at a Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto class. What I saw was person using their finger on palm of a Blind/deaf person. Didn't appear to be ASL but "jabs on the palm".-variant on braille?
Different systems between Canada and the United States?

No it isn't braille at all. And tactile sign is the same in Canada and the US.

tried it but i found it hard.I know two people with Ushers they go to deaf club.one person do it.

No because I am not blind. :P
I taught myself what an A feels like in braille because that is the letter that my name starts with.

Back