Can you learn ASL from a book?

I think it's better to learn ASL through YouTube videos or on webcam. It's kinda easier to start with.

Go to Deaf Events if needed.

One's choice which "system" in a specific circumstance/ time allocation/costs is "better",

Whether in a "local group of Deaf persons" will they really start to "teach someone ASL et al"-unknown,

I think it's better to learn ASL through YouTube videos or on webcam. It's kinda easier to start with.

Go to Deaf Events if needed.

If you do this then FIRST look at the comments -- BEFORE you watch the video.

Deaf People are blunt and show no shame in it. When you read, "I'm Deaf. You don't know ASL. Quit posting." then avoid those videos; that signer. They have probably just passed their first class.

Youtube is loaded with people who have taken one semester of ASL and think they know it all. Ignore the one who teaches "Dirty Signs" and the one who tried to "reform" ASL because she thought it was sexually biased.

Finding Real Deaf People who know what they are signing and how to sign it is difficult. But. Once you find one click on the signers they have listed as friends.

I personally enjoy OIC Movies - American Sign Language (ASL) Deaf Videos

One's choice which "system" in a specific circumstance/ time allocation/costs is "better",

Whether in a "local group of Deaf persons" will they really start to "teach someone ASL et al"-unknown,

HINT:

Don't go to Deaf Meets begging to learn ASL. Every Deaf Person and quite a few hearing have taken time and effort to teach someone how to communicate in ASL. Then once they learn they become interpreters and won't sign to you unless you are paying them.

Go to Deaf Meets looking to find friends. Then be a friend and remain a friend. Don't ask their world to stop while you learn something to benefit yourself. If you are a pleasant, likable, person you will eventually become a part of their world and they, or some of them, will become part of your world.

If you don't, or can't, make a life long Deaf friend you don't belong there to begin with. Go away.

As to the "bluntness of SOME Deaf persons"-human variability.

As to wanting to "go" to some "voice off"Deaf meeting-why?

No comment on" You Tube"-no part of! Why watch or pay attention?

Wondering how Caitlyn is "viewing comments" on her original posting re: learning ASL from a book?

Wondering how Caitlyn is "viewing comments" on her original posting re: learning ASL from a book?

OP is Nina the Writer. She hasn't been here since the day the original post was made.

Why do you call her Caitlyn?

This is hilarious.

You just described yourself and your relationship to the Deaf Community.

You just described yourself and your relationship to this community.

The OP did disappear.

I don't think that is important.

What I think IS important is that there are people who will read this thread who can benefit from the posts they find here.

ok, Where you live on your community events upcoming? point exactly ASL club? I ask question. please careful reading on attention understand! you are living to Toronto? Live Canada it?

lots of big deaf community many of have people. you find meet to communication to encourage to make sure clear to learn how ASL access communication!

I have lived in Toronto-Beach area- since 1962. Toronto is still part of Ontario which is in Canada.

I am aware that there Deaf people in Toronto. I met a few at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto and Bob Rumball Senior Deaf centre. Plus I met more at Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section/Toronto as well.

As to the utility of hiring an ASL interpreter to meet/interact with the local VOICE OFF Deaf not exactly a "pressing need"- at the moment

Ironic:I am a member of AllDeaf.com which has Deaf members who like me: bilateral DEAF.

I have lived in Toronto-Beach area- since 1962. Toronto is still part of Ontario which is in Canada.

I am aware that there Deaf people in Toronto. I met a few at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto and Bob Rumball Senior Deaf centre. Plus I met more at Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section/Toronto as well.

As to the utility of hiring an ASL interpreter to meet/interact with the local VOICE OFF Deaf not exactly a "pressing need"- at the moment

Ironic:I am a member of AllDeaf.com which has Deaf members who like me: bilateral DEAF.
Yes I know Bob Rumball Senior Deaf centre is very good, but is very senior is reason look likes pretty strictly Bob Rumball Senior Deaf centre group look likes house..... I met to already person few. I cant remember long times. you are senior! right...

I know Bob Rumball senior deaf Centre you met to to deaf people Toronto. you notice to ASL people you. you slow memory practice! it is difficult not easy! it is complication!!! I reading Tornoroto lots of Deaf community huges.!

update http://www2.bobrumball.org/ Tornoto link!

On the black statement, I don't understand what you are saying about hiring an ASL interpreter to meet/interact with local Deaf people who prefer to sign and not use voice as voice off.

You really don't need ASL interpreter to interpret for you as you need to learn ASL in the ASL classroom and then try to communicate with the Deaf signers at the Deaf events or in the Deaf community. It is better to communicate visually to be able to understand what the Deaf people said much better than hearing people. You got to have an interest in signing ASL in order to communicate with the Deaf signers. If you don't want to communicate this way. Then you are just stubborn. This is your life. No one tell you what to do anyway, if you choose not to learn ASL.

The sheer irony of belonging to AllDeaf.com.

Computer keying with SOME Deaf persons without "knowing/using ASL" who presumably are "members of local groups". Pass the word to Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant section/Toronto

Computers are useful!

My birthday was November 18, 1936- expect to turn "senior" when I reach 100. Aside except for pension/OAS/RRIF/CPP purposes.

Yes I know Bob Rumball Senior Deaf centre is very good, but is very senior is reason look likes pretty strictly Bob Rumball Senior Deaf centre group look likes house..... I met to already person few. I cant remember long times. you are senior! right...

I know Bob Rumball senior deaf Centre you met to to deaf people Toronto. you notice to ASL people you. you slow memory practice! it is difficult not easy! it is complication!!! I reading Tornoroto lots of Deaf community huges.!

update The Bob Rumball Tornoto link!

The sheer irony of belonging to AllDeaf.com.

Computer keying with SOME Deaf persons without "knowing/using ASL" who presumably are "members of local groups". Pass the word to Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant section/Toronto

Computers are useful!

My birthday was November 18, 1936- expect to turn "senior" when I reach 100. Aside except for pension/OAS/RRIF/CPP purposes.

So you categorically deny that you have a hard time learning ASL due to being a senior with poor memory?? :hmm:

Did you know you are 5 years younger than my dad? Sadly he died in a car accident...

Bottesini: That is not what I have said.

aside: the choice to discontinue studying Introd ASL was made over 15 years ago. I was previously advised by my ENT doctor-April 1992- after eliminating that I had "cancer/tumours" etc. I would "eventually" become DEAF after losing all hearing -right ear. I was NOT bilateral DEAF till December 20, 2006. I knew it was genetic.

I don't consider I have "poor memory"

At the present time have enough to study and decline to shift to other materials. How this affect "others"- unknown?

Still remember you- Main sq Rec centre-swimming pool. Prof SKY sends a meow to your herd of dogs.

Cheers Bill sksksk

Last edited:
So you categorically deny that you have a hard time learning ASL due to being a senior with poor memory?? :hmm:

Did you know you are 5 years younger than my dad? Sadly he died in a car accident...

hmmm, :( sorry hear you dad what is happened
I wonder notice many people senior limit to older to memory slow or hard to burden communication ASL skill expert. write communication, repeat to memory that is why i am surprised, my grandma many write to communication to write lots of me. I alway lip read, I do teach to sign language few. I do few word asl :) I do teach friends and family i am many times. It is not easy. It is very memory slow mind, It is very slow grow skills. I hope be.. I think so process! I notice!

Your signature (how you choose to identify yourself) along with your general attitude and apparently low regard for sign language is part of the reason you are not finding acceptance in this community. Yes, you are a member of AllDeaf.com, but you don't get bonus points just because you registered with the forum. Anybody can do that.

My signature-drphil- is a real computer code. Website:drphil.com.

This computer site has a variety of opinions-not surprising. How many "deaf militants" actually agree/disagree with some opinions expressed -not exactly "earth shattering".

Sociology-culture sub section- can be "interesting" at times.

Cheers

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I've been here for many more years than you and I haven't ever actually seen any "deaf militants" on this site.

Back