Can the hearing caller view the signer?

Arthaey

Reaction score
I'm taking an ASL course, and my teacher offered to answer some of my questions outside of class. I asked for her email address, but she said she'd rather use her video relay service, Purple. That's all fine, I've never used a relay service before, but I'm happy to use that if that is what my teacher prefers.

I know that, normally, as the hearing caller I would use audio-only with the interpreter, who listens to me and signs with my teacher over a video chat the two of them share.

My question is this: Is it possible for me to see my teacher signing too? I absolutely do need the interpreter — my ASL skills are very very basic still — but I'm used to watching my teacher sign and I'd like to be able to see her facial expressions, try to pick up more signs from her, etc.

Basically, I'm wondering, does Purple supports a 3-way video chat?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Why not email (or call) purple directly and ask how you could set that up - explain that you're a beginning ASL student, that you'd be calling your ASL instructor and that you'd like to know if/how you might set it up. You should be able to view the interpreters side (spoken and signed), I'm just not sure if they have a 'picture in picture' mode.

Contacting them would really be the best way to get a definative answer :)

Back