Can someone explain compression?

eirlys

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how to explain this, so here goes. Please forgive my fumbling.

The compression in my ha's is driving me crazy. It's a constant either *wubwubwub* sound or something like a helicopter sound.

I've asked the audi to turn it off or turn it down drastically. I just don't respond well to it and it makes me dizzy. They act like I'm saying a dirty word when I mention compression and it all gets very hush hush change the subject now. This has happened with every audi I've talked to.

Is it such a bad thing to get rid of it? I have conductive hearing loss in my aided ear, so no recruitment or anything. To be honest.. I still don't hear all that well with it. It's nice and has changed my life.. but that ear working by itself is still pretty useless. So loud noises aren't going to be much of a problem.

I guess that's the best way I can explain it.

Bonus question if you so desire: Sometimes my aided ear just HURTS with my HA in. Any chance that even though it's not that loud to me.. that it might be too much for my eardrum?

I have been told I cannot put background noise in the background. Fridges hum, fans whirr and I hear them all the time with the HA's on. I get a headache after six hours or so and I have to take them out. I would suggest you go back and make them turn the compression off, give it a try. You are paying them, they should do as you ask.
Good luck! :)

Compression just shuts out sounds....unfortunately, like music if you're playing an instrument, and in some cases people. At least this has been my experience which is why I'm trying to find "affordable digitals" that don't have issues with compression. You can ask that it be turned off entirely which would make it sound more like analogs (which I heard better with ironically). I actually think minus the compression, HA would work as they were intended. Good luck.

Laura

Wonder if doing a REM (real ear measurement) would help the Audie determine what is happening. Unfortunately not all Audie's have the equipment to do REM. :(

Wonder if doing a REM (real ear measurement) would help the Audie determine what is happening. Unfortunately not all Audie's have the equipment to do REM. :(

Audis can only go by what the client tells them unfortunately, and it's really a matter of trial and error, which can be time consuming as well as frustrating. As mentioned, just shutting off the feature can make a vast improvement for the wearer.

Laura

I have tried that and they claim its off but its not and I hate it cuz I cant hear! What can I do to get them to turn it off completely?

Audis can only go by what the client tells them unfortunately, and it's really a matter of trial and error, which can be time consuming as well as frustrating. As mentioned, just shutting off the feature can make a vast improvement for the wearer.

Laura

No (to bolded), REM will show them what is happening. I had too much bass and the REM showed the audie what I was talking about and she was able to adjust my HAs using the REM.

It won't help with everything, but it does help with some adjustments.

Shutting off a feature MAY help SOME wearers, but not necessarily every wearer...otherwise the feature wouldn't exist.

It's been an interesting journey for me. The three places I've found all have their own issues.

The guy who only uses oticon wouldn't help me at all. Told me I would hate it and everything would sound bad and pushed the Baha or BiCros on me that his friend deals with.

The guy who only uses Starkey would only use a RiC type for me and it was turned up so high that it sounded like a blown speaker.. all crackly. That was a miserable month since he couldn't adjust it out.

The guy at Costco (I know.. cheap junk supposedly but the best so far) has all the adjustments perfect but refuses to kill the compression. Instead he goes and adjusts other things and everything sounds awful.

So I either need to put my foot down and demand he turn it down and not mess up anything else.. or I need to get over it and deal with it. I've paid a lot of money to hear and for the most part.. I hear ok now.. but it's just so disorienting to have it pulsating and fluttering at me.

I need to grow a backbone and get this fixed for good.

It's been an interesting journey for me. The three places I've found all have their own issues.

The guy who only uses oticon wouldn't help me at all. Told me I would hate it and everything would sound bad and pushed the Baha or BiCros on me that his friend deals with.

The guy who only uses Starkey would only use a RiC type for me and it was turned up so high that it sounded like a blown speaker.. all crackly. That was a miserable month since he couldn't adjust it out.

The guy at Costco (I know.. cheap junk supposedly but the best so far) has all the adjustments perfect but refuses to kill the compression. Instead he goes and adjusts other things and everything sounds awful.

So I either need to put my foot down and demand he turn it down and not mess up anything else.. or I need to get over it and deal with it. I've paid a lot of money to hear and for the most part.. I hear ok now.. but it's just so disorienting to have it pulsating and fluttering at me.

I need to grow a backbone and get this fixed for good.

You need to remind him of the saying, "The customer is always right." If he wants to keep a customer, he'll listen.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It sounds like more than the compression being adjusted, that you need to have the limiter level moved up a bit so it doesn't engage as soon. This is a minor adjustment which is commonly done for musicians etc (because playing often trips the pre-set limiter level)

The graphic below pretty much explains how compression works:

Engine-animation.gif

I'm not sure exactly how to explain this, so here goes. Please forgive my fumbling.

The compression in my ha's is driving me crazy. It's a constant either *wubwubwub* sound or something like a helicopter sound.

I've asked the audi to turn it off or turn it down drastically. I just don't respond well to it and it makes me dizzy. They act like I'm saying a dirty word when I mention compression and it all gets very hush hush change the subject now. This has happened with every audi I've talked to.

Is it such a bad thing to get rid of it? I have conductive hearing loss in my aided ear, so no recruitment or anything. To be honest.. I still don't hear all that well with it. It's nice and has changed my life.. but that ear working by itself is still pretty useless. So loud noises aren't going to be much of a problem.

I guess that's the best way I can explain it.

Bonus question if you so desire: Sometimes my aided ear just HURTS with my HA in. Any chance that even though it's not that loud to me.. that it might be too much for my eardrum?

I had small vent holes in my black of my earmolds to reduce the compression in my ears. my new earsmold do have small vents the part that goes into your ear

Back