are these correct??

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ajmeek101

Reaction score
Hi! Can someone see If I glossed these right? Please correct me if I didn't, thanks!

1. English:He'll crawl in, make himself comfortable and fluff the pillow a few times.
1. ASL: COMFORTABLE HIMSELF HE WILL MAKE, FEW TIME PILLOW HE WILL FLUFF.
2. English:You'll have to fix up a little box for him with a blanket and a pillow
2. ASL: LITTLE BOX YOU WILL HAVE WITH BLANKET AND PILLOW TO FIX.
3. English:When he's done, he'll probably want to take a nap.
3. ASL: WHEN HE IS DONE DO WHAT? (eyebrows down) NAP HE WILL WANT TO TAKE
4. English:He may even end up washing the floors as well!
4. ASL: FLOORS DO WHAT? (eyebrows down) HE MAY AS WELL WASH
5. English:He might get carried away and sweep every room in the house
5. ASL: EVERY ROOM IN THE HOUSE, HE GET CARRIED AWAY AND SWEEP.
6. English:When he's finished giving himself a trim, he'll want a broom to sweep it up.
6. ASL: WHEN HE FINISHED DO WHAT? (eyebrows down) TRIM HIMSELF GIVING, BROOM HE WILL WANT.
7. English:So he'll probably ask for a pair of nail scissors.
7. ASL: NAIL SCISSORS DO WHAT? (Eyebrows down) HE WILL ASK (direct)
8. English:When he looks in the mirror, he might notice his hair needs a trim
8. ASL: WHEN MIRROR DO WHAT? (Eyebrows down) HE LOOKS HIS HAIR DO WHAT? (Eyebrows down) NEEDS TRIM
9. English:Then he'll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache.
9. ASL: MIRROR DO WHAT? (Eyebrows down) HE WILL WANT TO LOOK MILK MUSTACHE HE NONE MAKE SURE

thank you so so much!!!!

My thoughts?...English is best....ASL does get confusing at times (to me at least)....and that's the reason many ASL users cannot write legible English.

Those are nice attempts! However, GLOSS has its own syntax, just like English. Think of it like ASL if it WERE to be written, despite it not being a written language. With that being said, GLOSS should follow this format, just like if you were signing:
TIME first --> TOPIC (or subject) ---> COMMENT (basically an "adjective" if you want to compare it to English) --> ACTION ---> REFERENT (sometimes)

Here's an example:
English: I'm going to eat spaghetti on Thursday.
Gloss: (Time) THURSDAY (Topic) SPAGHETTI (Action) EAT (Referent) ME

Your #1 looks like it might use classifiers. You don't HAVE to, but it seems like it would beneficial. I would do research on those, they're pretty fun.

Your #2, fix in your English sentence is used as more of a "slang", your ASL indicates something actually being repaired. You have to keep in mind that ASL isn't English, concepts are being signed. Instead of FIX, use CREATE or even PREPARE depending on how you want to view the act. HAVE is also one you wouldn't use, as that's not an obligatory action, but rather, a possessive vocab word in ASL. You don't own the "WITH BLANKET"

Your #3 is pretty spot on with the eyebrows and the question to establish the action! However, there are still a lot of syntax mistakes.
I hope you don't take offense to this, but your structure reminds me of Yoda from Star Wars. Not to poke fun at you, but I just thought it was funny.
There is no DO in ASL, but there is a WHAT DO? phrase. If you look up WH questions, you can freshen up on the structure and when they would be used.

Overall, I think it's great you're practicing GLOSS, it's very beneficial in understanding ASL. You just have to lose the idea that it's direct English because it won't make sense if you try to make it that way.

I hope I helped!

Back