Can Somebody Please Give Me A Name Sign?

Would it be okay if I wanted to be deaf?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

fionaahamilton

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Fiona! I am hearing and I know I'm probably not supposed to be in here, but I'm very interested in the deaf community! I do know sign language, but I need a name sign. The rule is a deaf individual has to grant you a name sign so I was hoping somebody on this site could give me one! My name is Fiona, I love art, I love hipster stuff, and I'm not girly or anything. So, if any of you guys can think up a name sign for me that would be great! THANKS AGAIN!

you wont get a name sign, even from the deaf community. Go get help and see your doctor to have your head checked, its stupid to WANT to be deaf.

Not only that... most if not all deaf signers don't give a name sign to someone they barely know and through a forum. Many I've seen actually came from friends some long time friends or people we've known for a little longer than 5 minutes.

I'd be re assessing why you want to be deaf though. I was BORN deaf so that's all I know and am fine with it.

Its true. Sign names are usually earned/given by other dhh friends. These names are not always favorable as to what the person wants/wishes. For example:

Meeting new friends in college, some already had sign names, some did not. This one guy, lets call him Wayne. Wayne was an avid crosscountry runner. Us friends, tried to come up w/ a name for him, relating to running. But, nothing ever stuck and we ended up just finger spelling his name.

Until one day, Wayne was running in the dorm basement, towards the laundry room. He forgot to duck for a low hanging pipe and smacked his head into it and ended up w/ a large bandage on his forehead. From this unfortunate incident, his name was born: letter "W" to to the forehead. We always get a chuckle watching Wayne explain his sign name to others.

Until one day, Wayne was running in the dorm basement, towards the laundry room. He forgot to duck for a low hanging pipe and smacked his head into it and ended up w/ a large bandage on his forehead. From this unfortunate incident, his name was born: letter "W" to to the forehead. We always get a chuckle watching Wayne explain his sign name to others.

At least his name wasn't Larry.

The step-daughter had a boyfriend and while I was deaf I gave him a sign name. Since he rode a motorcycle and his name was Tyler. So I did a "T" and twisting like the trottle on the hand grip... they thought it was pretty cool.

The step-daughter had a boyfriend and while I was deaf I gave him a sign name. Since he rode a motorcycle and his name was Tyler. So I did a "T" and twisting like the trottle on the hand grip... they thought it was pretty cool.

Just for fun, being her step-dad, you could have made a letter T and slide it across your thoat. :laugh2:

Just for fun, being her step-dad, you could have made a letter T and slide it across your thoat. :laugh2:
I did do a few they didnt like....lmao

one was make a "W" and rotate it on the forehead from "W", "E", "M" and add an "L".... What Ever Major Loser.....lmao

It is good you want to get to know us Deaf. And learn sign..be fluent
Find Deafies. And have patience. No rush girl.
have fun
im sure if stick around. You find Deafie around you. Go Deaf events. And make friends..
sign is full language..our culture is deep. Complex..so patience...
you meet Deafie your age...and have fun..
maybe one day galley for you..
sign will set you free!!!
Good luck..

Back