Can Hard of hearing people get a CI?

... I am now profoundly Deaf.
I don't like the implication that my decision about my body is judged by people.

I see it as similar to men who are against abortion in every circumstance. These men will never have to face the possibility of abortion but they want to judge women for their choices about their bodies. It seems that some people in the deaf community are extremely against cochlear implants even though they are not candidates/they have conductive hearing loss or are hearing allies of Deaf people.
It is possible to be Deaf AND have or want a cochlear implant.

There are many many Deaf people who qualify for CI's... but don't want them. There are many Deaf people who have gotten them, and are wanting them removed... There are many Deaf people who have a CI (myself included in that).

I don't think people are judging you for your decision, I know very few people in the Deaf community who would judge you for making your own decision, you are an adult and can make your own decision.

But DeafDyke, the tiny bit of gain from the poorer ear when combined with the better ear, when both are candidates for cochlear implants, does not mean that great benefit won't be possible with a cochlear implant.

Cochlear implants aren't the great evil the Deaf community thought they were 15 or 20 years ago. I know several Deaf people who have cochlear implants and who have some benefit from them (though these people were born with profound sensorineural hearing loss).
Other people, such as myself, have been involved with Deaf culture from a young age but were born with some hearing. I am now profoundly Deaf.
I don't like the implication that my decision about my body is judged by people.

I see it as similar to men who are against abortion in every circumstance. These men will never have to face the possibility of abortion but they want to judge women for their choices about their bodies. It seems that some people in the deaf community are extremely against cochlear implants even though they are not candidates/they have conductive hearing loss or are hearing allies of Deaf people.
It is possible to be Deaf AND have or want a cochlear implant.

ecp, I know......I'm just saying that since response to hearing aids is so individual, it's silly to say that an implant is always better then hearing aids for "deaf" losses or that bilateral implants are better then bimodal.
Everyone responds differently....

She is correct. You have actual useable hearing in your better ear NadiaUP. My hearing is like ambrosia's. it starts at 85 (l) and 95 (r) at 250hz and drops off to no response by 2khz. So the only things I can hear are very loud deep sounds. No real speech sounds.

From what I read last night, speech sounds are between 250htz and 3500htz.

In that my right is 120db @ 250htz, 95db @ 1000htz, 95db @ 2000htz, 95db @ 3000htz.
My left is 120db @ 250htz, 110db @ 1000htz, 110db @ 2000htz, 110db @ 3000htz.

That must be why my right still picks up speech.

I think it does... I think it makes them 100% invalid. I'm happy my new audi gives me new words every time...

Yea...if they want valid results, cant use the same words with everyone and over and over again.

Back