Can anyone interpret my audiogram?

Pretty simple, Y axis is your dB loss. X axis is your frequency detection. Since you might not understand that, this should probably clarify it for you: Audio frequency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the triangles on your right mean your projected hearing levels aided or assisted or being able to lipread or a combination of all of these. But I am not sure, they could mean something else. As for the L's, no clue.

Pretty simple, Y axis is your dB loss. X axis is your frequency detection. Since you might not understand that, this should probably clarify it for you: Audio frequency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the triangles on your right mean your projected hearing levels aided or assisted or being able to lipread or a combination of all of these. But I am not sure, they could mean something else. As for the L's, no clue.

Thanks for that. I understood the dB loss at different frequencies but I don't know how to compare it with what's considered to be within the normal range.

What type of hearing loss do I have in each ear, in terms of severity?

Thanks for that. I understood the dB loss at different frequencies but I don't know how to compare it with what's considered to be within the normal range.

What type of hearing loss do I have in each ear, in terms of severity?
Hope you get the answers you're looking for in here. However, you could also always ask the audiologist you've done the audiogram with while they are in your presence or something.

As for me, I wouldn't be able to help you here. I don't even know how to read my own, grin.

Hope you get the answers you're looking for in here. However, you could also always ask the audiologist you've done the audiogram with while they are in your presence or something.

As for me, I wouldn't be able to help you here. I don't even know how to read my own, grin.

I will ask for more info next time but unfortunately here in the UK, they're allocated a certain amount of time for each patient and I often feel that there's simply not enough time to cover everything. In general, I've often found the internet to be a more helpful resource for gathering information.

I believe within 20-30db range for all frequencies is normal hearing. Your right appears to be more of a mild/moderate loss, and I checked it up with wikipedia and looks like you're right in that bracket. You hear low pitch better than high pitch, like deep mafia man male voice vs teenager girly female voice. Hearing impairment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for your left, you're more of on the moderate/approaching severe level for lower decibels, but you can hear high pitch better (ie low end of the piano vs high end). As they say, no two hearing loss seems the same.

I believe within 20-30db range for all frequencies is normal hearing. Your right appears to be more of a mild/moderate loss, and I checked it up with wikipedia and looks like you're right in that bracket. You hear low pitch better than high pitch, like deep mafia man male voice vs teenager girly female voice. Hearing impairment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for your left, you're more of on the moderate/approaching severe level for lower decibels, but you can hear high pitch better (ie low end of the piano vs high end). As they say, no two hearing loss seems the same.

Cheers

It seems that this proves that I won't meet the hearing standards required to gain a medical certificate for eligibility to fly as an airline pilot, but it doesn't say whether or not HA's can be worn!

Civil Aviation Authority said:
"The frequencies that have to be tested are 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 Hertz (Hz), and the maximum allowable losses is shown below:

500Hz - 35 dB
1000Hz - 35 dB
2000Hz - 35 dB
3000Hz - 50 dB"

Audio - JAR Class 1 Hearing Standards | Medical | Safety Regulation

Last time I asked, they said I'd have to see an AME Doctor and that would cost over £200. ($322USD) Not sure if it's worth it tbh!

With some good aids, you should be able to be brought back into all of those ranges with in both of your ears. Not sure if that matters to the licensing board, but on a technical level, it does qualify you.

You have a very interesting loss in that on one side you are missing some low frequencies with relatively good high frequency hearing, and on the other you are missing the highs but have the lows. Of course an ignorant person would assume that they compliment each other and that you should be able to hear just fine, but that's not the case. Still very interesting though.

With some good aids, you should be able to be brought back into all of those ranges with in both of your ears. Not sure if that matters to the licensing board, but on a technical level, it does qualify you.

You have a very interesting loss in that on one side you are missing some low frequencies with relatively good high frequency hearing, and on the other you are missing the highs but have the lows. Of course an ignorant person would assume that they compliment each other and that you should be able to hear just fine, but that's not the case. Still very interesting though.

Prob is I don't have an open Meatus in my left ear, meaning that sounds can't be amplified by air conducting HA's. I guess this may explain why the hearing loss is so different in that ear.

Prob is I don't have an open Meatus in my left ear, meaning that sounds can't be amplified by air conducting HA's. I guess this may explain why the hearing loss is so different in that ear.

Ah, well that's too bad. But HAs are okay for the right ear?

Is your hearing loss progressive? I imagine you'd still be able to get an implant with that condition, but as of right now, you are far from being a CI candidate.

Ah, well that's too bad. But HAs are okay for the right ear?

Is your hearing loss progressive? I imagine you'd still be able to get an implant with that condition, but as of right now, you are far from being a CI candidate.

Yeah, my right ear is aided with an open fit BTE atm.

Cielo2LifeOpenFitBTE.jpg

AFAIK my condition isn't progressive but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know much about the causes of progressive hearing loss. Isn't that usually linked to abnormalities with the inner ear? My hearing loss is caused by abnormalities with my middle ear. Basically, my Ossicles don't function properly.

My hearing did/has deteriorated a little in my right ear but my ENT consultant thinks it may be caused by rhinitis. He wasn't certain though, but he didn't seem alarmed. Though, that was awhile ago. Either I've gotten used to it now or it has restored back to how it was. Will go back for a checkup soon though.

Back