Can anyone interpret my audiogram?...

Welcome to AD, Melissa. :welcome:

I tend to avoid threads about specific audiograms because it's not helpful to compare different kinds of hearing loss. I stick with what my audiologist says. When you get a check up, your audiologist can explain your hearing loss and make recommendations. Good luck at your check up!

Thankyou, souggy and sallylou. I think this thread has run its' course now, it's nearly all over my head. Thankyou to everyone who has replied, despite my limited understanding of the replies!

If you want any further explainations, feel free to check my blog and comment there. Ive already answered you. Your audiologist will be able to give you additional answers. I will just say again that even hearing people don't always hear perfectly, see my latest reply to you above(post #17)

We know you have a mild hearing loss in the speech range and a more severe hearing loss in the high frequencies. Let us know what your audiologist says about transpositional HAs and cochlear dead zones.

Last edited:
Thankyou, souggy and sallylou. I think this thread has run its' course now, it's nearly all over my head. Thankyou to everyone who has replied, despite my limited understanding of the replies!

So, I'm a huge science nerd...it is sort of my job...and I love reading about science and medicine.
I'm linking to a few websites that could help you learn more about hearing if you want to learn more.
Raising Deaf Kids
What Is An Audiogram? - My Baby's Hearing
How to Understand Your Hearing Test - Hearing Aid Resource for Consumers with sample audiograms Common-audiograms - Hearing Aid Resource for Consumers

All of these are aimed at "regular" (aka non Audiologists) people.

It would not be a realistic expectation to get the 97% speech score that Melissa was getting unaided. Miss Kat was getting 86% aided with her CI and that's very good, but then she hears above average for CI. Not everyone gets as low as 15db with CI like she did! I am getting stem cells in around 3 years, definately not waiting more than 5 years. Ill take whatever stage stem cells is by then and accept whatever improvement they give me. I know that stem cells will give me much better odds of hearing great than CI plus all the other advantages.

Actually, everyday her language gets better, so I don't think 86% is good for her. I think she will end up close to 100%. Right now she is still learning the language. There are words that she didn't know on the test, not that she wasn't able to discriminate, but just had never heard before. Remember, she has only had the implant for 9 months (at the time) and that she only has the language of a 4 year old (up from 18 months with hearing aids).

Welcome to AD, Melissa. :welcome:

I tend to avoid threads about specific audiograms because it's not helpful to compare different kinds of hearing loss. I stick with what my audiologist says. When you get a check up, your audiologist can explain your hearing loss and make recommendations. Good luck at your check up!

Agreed...my brother and I are a perfect example. We were both born with almost the exact same Db losses but I was able to decipher sounds and speech better than he could.

Yay, another reverse-slope deafie!

Hi Melissa:
I just HAD to reply when I came across this thread, as I have a very similar loss to yours (50/60dB at 500 Hz; 20-10-20 at 1000-4000; 90 at 8000).
I spent my school years trying to "listen harder" since I have "too much" hearing to need accommodations such as FM systems or Deaf schools, etc. Then, when digital hearing aids came on down the pike, I finally got properly fitted! And I've now learned to speak American Sign Language, so life has become pretty darned good.
But it does confuse the heck out of people when I can hear things such as crying kids, most speech, and most birdsong really well. And then they forget about the things I *don't* hear. (Oops, that dog was growling? Gee, it *looked* friendly... Oh, there was a car *right* behind me? Well if they don't honk the horn, how would I know...?!?)
So, I second the person who pointed out that it's up to YOU to determine when you're struggling, when you're OK, and yes, that you are perfectly entitled to ask people to repeat themselves, move to a better environment for listening, write things down, and so forth.
All the best to you,
Kim from Boston

I am baffled when people bring back threads from over a year ago.

This is a toned down nicer version of my preferred response. (At request of PFH!) :P

So youll miss a little more speech than what hearing people would miss. For you, itll take a little more effort. You function without HAs similar to someone with a flat 30db HL across the audiogram. I function with HAs similar to someone with a 50db flat loss! Normal hearing for adults is 10-20db across the audiogram so you aren't far off. Hope this all helps!

I'm sorry - what you've said is entirely incorrect.

Having a 30 db "flat loss" (30db loss on all frequencies) is not even vaguely similar to the Audiogram that the OP has posted, and they most certainly do NOT hear "similar to if they have 30db flat loss"! (a flat hearing loss bares almost nothing in common with a highly variable frequency loss like the OPs ... they're apples and oranges, and painting the apples 'orange in colour' doesn't make them any more like and orange)

Also, deafdude - if you understand how the "db scale" works, you'd know that there is a substantial functional/volume/comprehension difference between 30db HL and 50db loss.

EDIT : I just noticed that this was a "dredged thread" (and old thread pulled to the top) ... while the time gap doesn't make my post any less true, I wouldn't have bothered if I'd realized that it was a 2year thread.

Back