Can *all* deaf people read and write?

Yeah, when a hearing person misspells a word (like hear for here or your for you're), I just look at the context. My husband is TERRIBLE with that. :giggle:

As for l337 (elite-speak), I first heard of it from my ex-boyfriend and I learned it pretty well. If I see it in a word, I can figure it out pretty good. Ofc, for me, the problem is if it's a Japanese word... in l337. I remember staring at a MegaTokyo webcomic, where a character was saying "baka" in l337. I had to IM him and ask him what it was... XD
(baka is idiot in japanese, apparently)

I know leet speak quite well but it was a pain to learn. For example 4 can either mean for or A depending on the context. I like my letters to be regular. I rarely ever use it though I did use it once to parody some gamers who think they're 133t cuz they have madz pvp (player vs player) skillz. I think they're kewl d00dz. :P I had thought elite was pronounced e-light. Nope. it's e-leet. Hence the spelling of Elite as 133t

I refrained from posting in here because just the very subject header "Can *all* deaf people read and write?" inflammed me. I think I realize HalfwayMan wasn't intentionally trying to inflame anyone, at least I don't think so, but it just amazes me sometimes the questions hearies ask -- the questions almost seem too dumb to be true. Am I right in thinking some people are doing this on purpose to ignite negativity?

I refrained from posting in here because just the very subject header "Can *all* deaf people read and write?" inflammed me. I think I realize HalfwayMan wasn't intentionally trying to inflame anyone, at least I don't think so, but it just amazes me sometimes the questions hearies ask -- the questions almost seem too dumb to be true. Am I right in thinking some people are doing this on purpose to ignite negativity?
Perhaps, it was a trick question?

My junior high school English teacher emphasized this to me.

She said that one thing we have to keep an eye out for is exaggeration in statements before determining if it's true or false.

For instance, if you were taking a test and there was a true/false question that said... "All of the Japanese people went to war with the United States during World War II."

Yes, it's true that Japan and the United States were at war... but it's not true that all Japanese people went to war. There were some Japanese people who were against the war and didn't get involved. The key word was "all".

So, in this case... it could be a trick question to see if we were really paying attention. That's why my response was that NOT all deaf people can read and write.

:
And I think someone made him mad.:whistle:

Maybe it is me... i did pm'ed him telling him off... that he is so stupid to ask all of us who can read and write... what hell is he thinking.. we are here writing and reading...:giggle::giggle:

Of course, I can read and write. I started learn read and write when I was early age. But I love to draw and crayons on color books.

In order for us to be able to use Closed captioning, TTDs, and pagers, we NEED to be able to read and write! LOL!

:

Maybe it is me... i did pm'ed him telling him off... that he is so stupid to ask all of us who can read and write... what hell is he thinking.. we are here writing and reading...:giggle::giggle:

:giggle::giggle: :whistle:

I once heard this little girl ask a deaf woman how she learned to read and write. But in all fairness...it was a little kid asking the question, she didn't know any better. Adults ought to know better.

I once heard this little girl ask a deaf woman how she learned to read and write. But in all fairness...it was a little kid asking the question, she didn't know any better. Adults ought to know better.

Some adults are so convinced that phonics are the only way to learn how to read and write or if cueing in the case of deaf kids is the best way to learn to read and write. It has always seemed absurd to teach phonics to those who never heard a sound.

Ever try to explain the difference between high pitched sounds and loud sounds to someone who has never heard sounds? Or vice versa?

Sometimes I think adults ask deaf how they learned to read so they can confirm their pet theory on how people learn to read. They don't like it when I say something that counters their theory.

haha, i should go to an African American forum and ask, "Can ALL Black people read and write?"

haha, i should go to an African American forum and ask, "Can ALL Black people read and write?"
yea, no kidding!

I think people think because we cant hear the written language in its spoken form so they wonder how we can learn to read and write. Well, the good news is that there ARE so many different ways to learning how to read and write! :)

Some adults are so convinced that phonics are the only way to learn how to read and write or if cueing in the case of deaf kids is the best way to learn to read and write. It has always seemed absurd to teach phonics to those who never heard a sound.

Ever try to explain the difference between high pitched sounds and loud sounds to someone who has never heard sounds? Or vice versa?

Sometimes I think adults ask deaf how they learned to read so they can confirm their pet theory on how people learn to read. They don't like it when I say something that counters their theory.

Excellent points.

yea, no kidding!

I think people think because we cant hear the written language in its spoken form so they wonder how we can learn to read and write. Well, the good news is that there ARE so many different ways to learning how to read and write! :)

Exactly. The only thing that makes learning to read hard for a child is keeping them in a language deprived environment.

all of us are genius in unique way.

all of us are unique Einstein in each subjects that we're knack of.

:

Good for you SxyPorkie. :h5:

Back