Can *all* deaf people read and write?

TheHalfWayMan

Reaction score
It might sound like a stupid question, but I don't know the answer?

Some, not all can read and write at all just like some hearing people. Not really much of a difference between the deaf and hearing.

Some, not all can read and write at all just like some hearing people. Not really much of a difference between the deaf and hearing.

I guess I wanted to know if being Deaf got in the way of reading & writing?

And, would it be wrong for a hearing person to write something down for a Deaf person on the assumption that the Deaf person knew how to read?

For myself, I can read and write, such that I am writing on alldeaf.com right now :lol:

Yes, I can read and write. As I am typing in AllDeaf Forum.

You guys!!!

I know you all can read & write, but is it the same for *all* deaf people (not AllDeaf people!).

I find your question offensive. Let me guess, you are hearing, am I right?:roll:

I find your question offensive. Let me guess, you are hearing, am I right?:roll:

I'm really sorry to have offended you. I'm completely Deaf *un*aware and I'm hear to learn. I'm registered on a course (which should arrive here in about 10 days) and I'm a bit impatient.

Please don't be offended by anything I ask or say. I'm here to learn, so just let me know the question or words would normally be offensive, but don't be offended, please.

(p.s. I am a hearie!!!)

I'm really sorry to have offended you. I'm completely Deaf *un*aware and I'm hear to learn. I'm registered on a course (which should arrive here in about 10 days) and I'm a bit impatient.

Please don't be offended by anything I ask or say. I'm here to learn, so just let me know the question or words would normally be offensive, but don't be offended, please.

(p.s. I am a hearie!!!)

I am curious, what make you particular this site? Learn more about Deaf culture ?

Pepsi Lover, TheHalfwayMan is just a learner - he is just learning what deaf culture and all is like, just kindly understand his situation :)

Sorry I don't find it offensive at all, it's normal for people to asking the questions about things that are new to them. I am glad that I answered him in my first post in this thread so he can know about it, if I don't and nobody would, then he will still think we can't read, and I don't want that happen. :roll:

Some deaf people are illiterate, and some hearing people are illiterate.

Thanks for your understanding guys.

From all of this, I'm basically understanding that there's no difference between Deaf people and Hearing people when it comes to reading and writing.

Thanks for your understanding guys.

From all of this, I'm basically understanding that there's no difference between Deaf people and Hearing people when it comes to reading and writing.

you got that right :) I knew a hearing guy who couldn't read at all and is of my age.... It just depends on upbringing, education, and the ability to learn

If I can't read and write then I would not be here in AllDeaf, right?

Well to my experiences with the deaf culture.. but let me tell you I am deaf. I 've met most of the deaf who can and who can't depends on their skills level. A friend of mine who's complelety deaf himself .. very integellient in english and words than I do. But I do and can read and write like hearing people. But looks it this ways.. I can do sign in english but I can't sign in ASL. I can comunication with the deaf and hearing world. There's no problem for me. I know a couple who are in their 60... their english level are very low but can communication with me . They are married couple . That's what my experience have with them in my life through many years. Sometimes I have to use same level what they have so they can understands me clearly.

Back