Can *all* deaf people read and write?

Thanks, but Googling "Gally History Library" brings up 0 results.

well there goes my mistake lol.. I'm not the best person to tell ya then as I'm sure there's other Galludaent (spelling) students or former students here will tell ya cause I never went to a deaf college/university... sorry... Gally is a short form of the school name (too lazy to spell it all out).. shhhhh... As well there's some great people here that is great with History...would help ya alot.. smile Patience is a virtue.

hang in there...

Excellent guys. Thanks for clearing things up.

I really am here to learn, so if I say anything wrong again, please don't be offended and just let me know that what i've asked or said is offensive.

With the exception of you guys, I don't know anyone who is Deaf and I really don't know anything. I'm sure there are millions, if not billions, of people like me and I hope that I can do something to get other people like me more aware, give them a better understanding and try to reduce (or git rid of) the isolation.

where are you based though as I'm sure most of us would tell ya there's a deaf community in your area... smile... there are tons that don't associates with the deaf or don't have a clue where to go... you aren't the only one.. we always learning everyday... this forum is the best place to start getting to know and networking as well... smile..

Nice!!! :D Love your avatar, 1/2way man!

If anyone tries to tell you that "all" of this or that is true, then it is automatically a lie because there is always an exception to the rule. I'm Deaf myself, and in the Deaf culture, there is a significance to the use of the captialization of the letter D - it denotes a pride of the culture that we are a part of. If you see someone using a little d - as in, deaf - then it's more of a medical/pathological point of view, as in stating a hearing loss but not a part of the culture. (not all though)

HI! :D I've had people ask me if I could read and write. I remember when I was about 9, an old woman gave me a magazine full of pictures because she thought I couldn't read. The fact I had a 3 inch thick book with me apparently escaped her notice...

Someone said earlier that those with ASL communication don't usually have the skills to write in English because it's difficult to translate from one to another is partly right. We (my class) actually studied this last semester. What we found out is that the teachers - usually hearing and who learned signs in college/school - will give a very quick translation in English without details.

Let me explain: If a child asks "Teacher, how do I sign this? (signs a car driving manically around twists and turns in the road, and nearly smashes into a tree)" The teacher will say, 9 times out of 10, "The car's driving fast and it almost hits a tree." What happens is the student never learns to make that connection - that English *can* be as descriptive as ASL, and they end up writing the way they have been taught. I was fortunate that my love of reading taught me what I needed to know about writing.

ditto that about the reading part that's one of my good strength of english is from reading alot when I was younger... I know I find it harder when communicating with the deaf via Messenger, trying to go down to their level to understand... we just have to in our back of mind, we know what we are saying but to translate for them to understand rather than they asking us what does that mean or so on.... I've learned this from a great friend...it works well..

(off topic) you do Yoga?? I DO tooo... smile.. I love it.. but haven't being able to get motivated to do it.. if you got tons of tips... please let me know by sending a msg... smile (I think I have to add ya first in order to let you in) lol

don't use "gally" use "gallaudet" when you do googling you may get results.

There's no hard and fast rule. I know some strong ASL users who have excellent English reading and writing skills, and I also know some signed English users who have minimal English reading and writing skills. Some of the signed English users don't use conceptually correct signed English either.

I've also seen hearing English teachers with poor English grammar, who can't spell, and frequently mispronounce words.

ditto that... noone is perfect that's what we have to think about smile.. we are HUMAN!! smile

i love your avatar!!! :) so golden...

welcome back?? Did I disappear?

well I think you did.. lol.. smile you just haven't post that much or maybe it's me haven't been keeping up with AD.. smile... well isn't that a nice compliment to say welcome back.. lol.. snickering...

well I think you did.. lol.. smile you just haven't post that much or maybe it's me haven't been keeping up with AD.. smile... well isn't that a nice compliment to say welcome back.. lol.. snickering...
heh maybe you weren't paying attention eh.

sorry my post is offtopic... this is my last one :D

Thanks guys... I found it... Gallaudet University Archives

wooohoooo!!! there you go!!! have fun with it... smile lol.. I should go check it out myself too... I only went to the Homecoming in 2005 or 2006 for the first time, I was in awe... unfortunately I didn't know there was such a deaf university when I was in public school due to mainstream but I've gone to a hearing one and now taking up online Medical courses. I know it's never too late!! :)

heh maybe you weren't paying attention eh.

sorry my post is offtopic... this is my last one :D

BITE ME!!!!!!! sorry off topic HalfwayMan... (you will get this alot when some will go offfff track, so just tell them get back on the right track) ooopiess.. (my last one too)...

There's no hard and fast rule. I know some strong ASL users who have excellent English reading and writing skills, and I also know some signed English users who have minimal English reading and writing skills. Some of the signed English users don't use conceptually correct signed English either.

I've also seen hearing English teachers with poor English grammar, who can't spell, and frequently mispronounce words.

Ha,ha! So true. I remember one English professor well and for all the wrong reasons. I'm normally a straight A student in English even when I'm the only deaf. Well, this teacher didn't have a clue how to teach and her English wasn't good either.. Class had no structure either so I ended up dropping out of her class. I don't do well in unstructured situations even when I excel in a given subject.

Ha,ha! So true. I remember one English professor well and for all the wrong reasons. I'm normally a straight A student in English even when I'm the only deaf. Well, this teacher didn't have a clue how to teach and her English wasn't good either.. Class had no structure either so I ended up dropping out of her class. I don't do well in unstructured situations even when I excel in a given subject.

ekkkk, I would do the same thing, drop out of the class...hate when that happens... smile..

...i love your avatar!!! :) so golden...
Thank you. It's in honor and remembrance of a precious little girl who died of cancer.

The gold ribbon represents childhood cancer awareness. The ribbon with an angel on it represents children who have died of cancer.

Thank you. It's in honor and remembrance of a precious little girl who died of cancer.

The gold ribbon represents childhood cancer awareness. The ribbon with an angel on it represents children who have died of cancer.

Oh sorry for the loss of a precious little girl who had died of cancer... SHe's in a good place right now..

awesome gold ribbon, thanks for sharing the info.

may god be with you all in this trying time...

Oh sorry for the loss of a precious little girl who had died of cancer... SHe's in a good place right now..

awesome gold ribbon, thanks for sharing the info.

may god be with you all in this trying time...
Thank you. :)

This is an interesting thread.

We often get that question from time to time when we encounter a person who has no knowledge or exposure to the deaf community. For some, it is offensive but for some, it isn't. If a person is asking in a nice manner, I wouldn't be offended but however if someone asks me that question in a rude manner, then yeah it'd be offensive.

Everyone has pretty much nailed it in this thread. Illiteracy and Literacy is a huge problem everywhere across the globe. Not everyone is able to read and write. For those who can are fortunate. I, too, am aware that my english is not perfect but it doesn't mean that we're no better than others. It varies by being able to read/and or writing at different levels.

I have seen some deaf people who are very good at fixing things but when it comes to writing, they are clueless. There are some who are good at writing/reading but not so good at being a "handyman". The same thing applies to mathematics. From what I have noticed, deaf people are usually better in mathematics than they are for writing/reading. I'm not saying all of them are like that but some of them are.

(off topic) you do Yoga?? I DO tooo... smile.. I love it.. but haven't being able to get motivated to do it.. if you got tons of tips... please let me know by sending a msg... smile (I think I have to add ya first in order to let you in) lol

Off topic - yes I do Yoga. :D I was lucky enough to get that as a credited course this semester *YAY*!!! There's actually a DVD out called Deaf Yoga. Try to google for it, it's interesting. :) My only tip is to relax, take your time, practice meditation and just have fun. :D I love dragons too and I want to have a tattoo one day of a dragon in the lotus pose. :)

And Jolie, on the math observation? I am so the exception to that rule. I can read and write with the best of them, but give me a math problem above the 6th grade level and I couldn't solve it correctly to save my life!

I have seen some deaf people who are very good at fixing things but when it comes to writing, they are clueless. There are some who are good at writing/reading but not so good at being a "handyman". The same thing applies to mathematics. From what I have noticed, deaf people are usually better in mathematics than they are for writing/reading. I'm not saying all of them are like that but some of them are.

That's true ... my hoh hubby is a whiz at Maths/electronics but not that great in grammar/spelling whereas I'm dense in advanced Maths (ok with basic Maths) but I shine in English so we complement each other. :)

Back