Can *all* deaf people read and write?

"I'm here to learn, so please be gentle!"

I'm sure most here will meet you halfway on that request, yet gentleness is a two-way street. Courteous adults don't ask any question off the tops of their heads without thinking them over and considering consequences.

I don't blame Pepsi for taking a bit of offense. Some people blurt some really inappropriate questions.

A little thought before asking would have told you the inability to read and write cuts across all classes of people. Perhaps a gentler query may have been something like: "Is deafness a barrier to learning to read and write? If so, how do you overcome it?"

Well Said.... Thank you very much... i felt offended also... What hell hearies think we are here to read and write..

Reba's spot on with her answer; for years, at my work/job, I cleaned up the the report writing of so many hearing staffers.

My former supervisor asked me, can you read and write? I said well I can't read but I can write. She can't say a word to me. Since, I worked there for 10 years, duh hearing lady!!!

My former supervisor asked me, can you read and write? I said well I can't read but I can write. She can't say a word to me. Since, I worked there for 10 years, duh hearing lady!!!

You can't read but you can write? Can you expand on that?

Deaf people who grow up with no or limited access to language (i.e. their parents never learn to sign, nor do they provide English instruction via Cued Speech or other methods) have a very tough time learning to read and write. There is a higher incidence of illiteracy among deaf people for this reason.

However, if you put a hearing person in this position, it would be the same story. The issue is not deaf or hearing, but rather what kind of language development a child experiences. It's simply a sad fact that many more deaf children are deprived of language during the critical period than hearing children.

I teach English writing and grammar to underprepared deaf college students and there is a definite correlation between the ability of my students to assimilate new information into their writing and how much language exposure they had as kids.

Sad, but true, Interpretator.

"I'm here to learn, so please be gentle!"

I'm sure most here will meet you halfway on that request, yet gentleness is a two-way street. Courteous adults don't ask any question off the tops of their heads without thinking them over and considering consequences.

I don't blame Pepsi for taking a bit of offense. Some people blurt some really inappropriate questions.

A little thought before asking would have told you the inability to read and write cuts across all classes of people. Perhaps a gentler query may have been something like: "Is deafness a barrier to learning to read and write? If so, how do you overcome it?"

Chase, your response was fantastic. Thank you for pointing things out and thank you for rewriting my question in a more appropriate manner.

The answers which BelleSorrisa and Interpretrator gave me were what was on my mind and I only asked this question (and, believe me, I have lots more), because I'm too impatient to wait until my long distance course gets here.

But, in light of your response and the fact that I received a threatening email from another offended board member, I think I'll wait until my course gets here before I ask any more questions. My thoughts were that I could make friends by asking questions and that you guys would understand that I'm uncultured and don't know anything about Deaf people or Deaf life. I guess that's not the case.

Thanks for correcting me and sorry for any offense.

the word "ALL" doesn't applied to us (had to throw that in) :laugh2:

well all have different abilities to hear or read or write.. everyone is unique in their own way.. smile...

there's no such thing as a Stupid question, the only way to know the answer is to ask smile :)

I'm really sorry to have offended you. I'm completely Deaf *un*aware and I'm hear to learn. I'm registered on a course (which should arrive here in about 10 days) and I'm a bit impatient.

Please don't be offended by anything I ask or say. I'm here to learn, so just let me know the question or words would normally be offensive, but don't be offended, please.

(p.s. I am a hearie!!!)

what course is this?? smile

I don't think you were offended as I think you asked it nice... I think also what you can do is don't write a long long note, just briefly or to the point.. I'm sure you'll be fine, with me I can speak and hear and if I don't understand or can't say it, I'll say can I have a paper to write it down.. thanks... to help each other, smile

also beware some not all deafies are against hearing (I don't even use the word hearies) I guess cause I'm so strong orally deaf ... smile... (you can't always please everyone, just go with a grain of salt) smile

Thanks for your support, but I'd rather not offend even 1 person.

aww, sometimes it's in their perspective that they think they are offended by not understanding the meaning of what you are asking or what you are aiming at... there's never a right or wrong to do things, just be yourself that's all it matters!!!! there will always be disagreements or agreements or arguments... so I just don't take it to heart.. smile

Don't think I'm a preacher.. lol..I know what it's like to be a hearing in the deaf community.. I'm still struggling in the both world since I was always been in the hearing world and mainstreamed for years without knowing ASL till connected some deaf community about 10 years ago.. it's always a challenge everyday.. so don't feel you are obligated to make everyone person happy... smile

Thanks for your understanding guys.

From all of this, I'm basically understanding that there's no difference between Deaf people and Hearing people when it comes to reading and writing.

you got it smile.. just like one person needing glasses to see and the other doesn't need one... should both be offended?? not smile... we all are HUMAN smile...

Thanks for clearing things up.

BelleSorisa... you said...

That's the kind of thing which I was after. Do you know if there are any statistics on this and where I could find them.

I don't have any statistics - maybe you can look on google.

Well to my experiences with the deaf culture.. but let me tell you I am deaf. I 've met most of the deaf who can and who can't depends on their skills level. A friend of mine who's complelety deaf himself .. very integellient in english and words than I do. But I do and can read and write like hearing people. But looks it this ways.. I can do sign in english but I can't sign in ASL. I can comunication with the deaf and hearing world. There's no problem for me. I know a couple who are in their 60... their english level are very low but can communication with me . They are married couple . That's what my experience have with them in my life through many years. Sometimes I have to use same level what they have so they can understands me clearly.

yeah I knew a girl that is totally deaf only communication is ASL and is a darn intelligent girl that can read and write like a professor... she's amazing and inspiring to me..

I don't have any statistics - maybe you can look on google.

probably the Gally History Library, be wary that there's always indifference among the deaf which is the right way or not.. it's a never ending journey... but but... we are getting better smile...

Chase, your response was fantastic. Thank you for pointing things out and thank you for rewriting my question in a more appropriate manner.

The answers which BelleSorrisa and Interpretrator gave me were what was on my mind and I only asked this question (and, believe me, I have lots more), because I'm too impatient to wait until my long distance course gets here.

But, in light of your response and the fact that I received a threatening email from another offended board member, I think I'll wait until my course gets here before I ask any more questions. My thoughts were that I could make friends by asking questions and that you guys would understand that I'm uncultured and don't know anything about Deaf people or Deaf life. I guess that's not the case.

Thanks for correcting me and sorry for any offense.

ACCEPTED GRACEFULLY... I do totally agree with CHASE!!! that you will always (opps not always) come to this no matter what you say or do... it's how anyone preserves it... just be yourself that's all it matters.. if they think it's offended then both to discuss outside of alldeaf then making a big huge issue taking so much room on alldeaf... smile Glad that Belle was accepting after the fact... smile...

Back