Calling all grammar and writing nerds!

sallylou

Potterhead and Janeite
Premium Member
Reaction score
Calling all grammar and writing nerds!

The oxford comma in the college application essay--yea or nay? :hmm:

Use the serial comma! I have a good eye for these things. Trust me.

That's my inclination, too, Bott. Especially in the context which may be a bit confusing without it. Just want to get some feedback because it's been *ahem* a long time since I took freshment English. lol

Thanks, BG. Some funny examples! lol

The ambiguity here is that the tense changes througout the essay. That makes it a bit more challenging to be clear.

Last edited:
Just remember the readers in this case. They are slogging through a whole pile of these essays. You don't want to make their job more difficult. Clarity and accuracy of thought and expression are among the top things they are looking for.

I'm wondering if anyone is even going to read it. It's a formality since the kid already has
"assured admission" based on his grades and SAT score. I'm editing it anyway. Giving it the good old college try. lol

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Thanks. I don't think the kid appreciates it right now. He'll be happy when the whole process is over.

We have some major English nerds
here. I particularly value Bott's opinion. I'm hoping some younger college students will post about what their English profs tell them.

Last night at an Asl social, a hearing person actually said how nice it is that some of us use our voices and commented on how "professional" everyone was. Too bad that my Hee Haw outfit was at the cleaners.

Last edited:

We have some major English nerds
here. I particularly value Bott's opinion. I'm hoping some younger college students will post about what their English profs tell them.

Last night at an Asl social, a hearing person actually said how nice it is that some of us use our voices and commented on how "professional" everyone was. Too bad that my Hee Haw outfit was at the cleaners.

I know..... Was being sarcastic.

PFH, I knew that. Silly! My response was sarcastic too. :lol:

Tousi, notice that I'm addressing people by name for you? :P

In journalism school, I learned to not use the serial comma. Ever since then, that's been my preference. One less keystroke. :lol:

I knew that this was going to be controversial. :lol:

Essay #1 down and one more to edit.

I think I'll let kid make the final decision based on what his English teacher says.

Back