Calling 911....

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
On the way home from my moms today, I was driving on the freeway. The speed limit is 65mph but this car in front of me was doing 43mph. It kept swerving onto the shoulder then over correct into the next lane. So I tried to call 911 but it didn't go very well.

I dialed..told operator that I was deaf...gave as much information as I could. All I heard was $@$#_$#@@$%#@)(*^%$#%&*()

Hopefully the person was not drunk just a really bad driver and their car is parked for the night.

Was there a better way for me to handle this?

I've seen the electronic billboard says "Report Drunk Driver call 911" you did the right thing, the operator was in the wrong.

Ido not think the operator was swearing at her.........Angel was just indicating that she could not hear the operator......

Sorry if I made it sound like the 911 operator was swearing. My problem was that I stated up front that I was deaf. I told the operator that I could not hear but I would give them all the information that I could. I told them what freeway, what exit we were going to be coming up to, type of car and what lane we were in. The 911 operator kept asking me questions so I just said that was all I could do and that I hope they had someone in the area to check it out. Not sure if this person was drunk or falling asleep but they were being extremely dangerous. We were in the slow lane, they swerved onto the shoulder then back coming within inches of a big rig. So I dropped way way back after that. This happened around 2pm when schools were going to be letting out.

Angel did what she could, the first thing in mind I would do is using the phone like a cb operator, repeat 3 times or so "I am deaf" - "Reporting erratic driver" (plate number, state, vehicle description" "(description of violation" "Location - Road name, mile marker, etc")

Angel did what she could, the first thing in mind I would do is using the phone like a cb operator, repeat 3 times or so "I am deaf" - "Reporting erratic driver" (plate number, state, vehicle description" "(description of violation" "Location - Road name, mile marker, etc")

That is a great idea, I will do that in the future. I didn't get close enough to read the plate but the car was unique and so was the color. Hopefully nothing happened. I would definitely call again if I see it. I hate hate hate people who drive drunk.

Sorry if I made it sound like the 911 operator was swearing. My problem was that I stated up front that I was deaf. I told the operator that I could not hear but I would give them all the information that I could. I told them what freeway, what exit we were going to be coming up to, type of car and what lane we were in. The 911 operator kept asking me questions so I just said that was all I could do and that I hope they had someone in the area to check it out. Not sure if this person was drunk or falling asleep but they were being extremely dangerous. We were in the slow lane, they swerved onto the shoulder then back coming within inches of a big rig. So I dropped way way back after that. This happened around 2pm when schools were going to be letting out.

You would think 911 operators would be better trained in handing all type of calls and when someone said they deaf or hoh and not able to hear but they want made a report the operator would just take the info and not try to ask questions. I had this happen me while talking to a person on the phone but I am shocked a 911 operator does not know what 'deaf ' mean.

I've only called 911 once in my life, and that was with a landline, so a long time ago. I could hear voices on the other end, but no clue what they were saying. I just repeated over and over that I was deaf and could not respond to their questions, and just to send police. It was a break-in. So I didn't need an ambulance. Police showed up within 5 minutes so I guess I got it across. I've always wondered what it would be like from a cell phone now that I don't have a landline. My husband has severe TBI so I think any 911 call for that would require an ambulance.

What about that resource that reports dangerous drivers? Alaska State Troopers mentioned this last season, but I forgot the name where you call in dangerous drivers and police find them. What is that name? :hmm:

I've only called 911 once in my life, and that was with a landline, so a long time ago. I could hear voices on the other end, but no clue what they were saying. I just repeated over and over that I was deaf and could not respond to their questions, and just to send police. It was a break-in. So I didn't need an ambulance. Police showed up within 5 minutes so I guess I got it across. I've always wondered what it would be like from a cell phone now that I don't have a landline. My husband has severe TBI so I think any 911 call for that would require an ambulance.

At least if you call from a landline, your address will show up for the 911 operator. Even if you have to drop the phone to do CPR they will send help. Just hope you never have to do it.

My family has had to call 911 for me quite a few times. Thankfully I have never had to do it for them.

Does anybody know if the gps in my cell phone will alert 911 to my location? How does that work?

Does anybody know if the gps in my cell phone will alert 911 to my location? How does that work?

I'm pretty sure it depends on what wireless provider you have. I know here in California, Verizon has been working on this for years. They say..yes they can find your location via the GPS in your phone.

I have not done a lot of research on this though.

I have Verizon. I'm prompted for "location" when I open some apps, so I understand my phone is trying to find where I am. It's with this that I hope 911 would know where I'm at.

Yes they can pinpoint where you are. I think but not 100% sure its a law now all cell phones must have 911 location enabled. Check your cell phone settings it should have something about 911 location enabled mine even says that location sharing can't be turned off for 911 calls.

Maybe we have to be more proactive and start making our police departments more aware of how hard it's to call 911 when you're deaf or hoh.

Yes they can pinpoint where you are. I think but not 100% sure its a law now all cell phones must have 911 location enabled. Check your cell phone settings it should have something about 911 location enabled mine even says that location sharing can't be turned off for 911 calls.

Right, it is permanently enabled for use with 911, though you can control what apps can use it, like on an iPhone settings section:

maps_location_services.png

I have an IPhone and I have the location services enabled.

well - it's iffy at best. it is dependent on 911 dispatcher center and wireless cell carrier. if it is equipped with technology (aka "Enhanced 911") to detect your location... great. if not.... it will take just a while longer to trace you... several minutes.

I wouldn't count on it with my life. just me and my Second Amendment :) (j/k)

On the way home from my moms today, I was driving on the freeway. The speed limit is 65mph but this car in front of me was doing 43mph. It kept swerving onto the shoulder then over correct into the next lane. So I tried to call 911 but it didn't go very well.

I dialed..told operator that I was deaf...gave as much information as I could. All I heard was $@$#_$#@@$%#@)(*^%$#%&*()

Hopefully the person was not drunk just a really bad driver and their car is parked for the night.

Was there a better way for me to handle this?

the best you can do is get his plate and notify police later on once you get home. and a description of subject if you can.

Back