California

katz4life

Reaction score
I got an idea from Frisky Feline's thread "New York". hehe..

Anyone had/have been in California and which part do you think the best place is?

For me, I think the best place I have visited was Yosemite National Park!! San Francisco comes the second. Los Angeles is so-so to me. Because I visit L.A. once a year every year from now on.

If you're into scenery...Monterey/Big Sur scenic beaches. Redwood up in north California.

Tourism - Yosemite, Alcatraz, Pier39, Old Sacramento, Santa Cruz Boardwalk.. I'm sure there's more to list. :)

Wirelessly posted

San Diego is my fave city. Beautiful beaches and perfect weather almost. It has a lot of Mexican culture places to see and great food!

I was in San Diego, Oakland, and San Francisco in 1988. I also went to old Oakland A's park and saw them whoop White Sox 8-1.

If I was to go to CA now, I would be curious about the Padres' new ballpark. I heard that it was radically cool!!!

Planning to go to San Diego this summer as my sister lives there and some family in Cajun...all that "hustle-bustle" at the LA airport is something I'll always remember.....:lol:

Never been and I don't think I will ever get there. We do have family there, but not sure I want to go that far.

San Francisco/Bay Area- Pier 39, Lombard street, etc.
San Diego- Whaley house, Hotel del Coronado

I hate LA with a passion.

I should have visited Yosemite one day.

If you're into scenery...Monterey/Big Sur scenic beaches. Redwood up in north California.

Tourism - Yosemite, Alcatraz, Pier39, Old Sacramento, Santa Cruz Boardwalk.. I'm sure there's more to list. :)

Yeah, don't miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Half Moon Bay is neat. The NFL shop on Pier 39 is huge and there are usually cheerleaders or players there on the weekend.

AT&T Park is a must even for people who don't care about baseball.

Bay Area is like a 2nd home to me and I grew up going there every summer since I was a kid.

Anyway, Lake Tahoe is absolutely gorgeous! Baker Beach in San Francisco is pretty awesome when you get to have the best view - seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and the Pacific Ocean. :D

Los Angeles is different than what I am used to as compared to NorCal, ha. Had a great time spending a week in LA with Rio 2 1/2 years ago. Darn her for getting me hooked on the fried bananas lol

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:
Calvin said:

Yeah, don't miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Half Moon Bay is neat. The NFL shop on Pier 39 is huge and there are usually cheerleaders or players there on the weekend.

AT&T Park is a must even for people who don't care about baseball.

My bf wants to see n California :) these are good ideas thanks

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Jolie77 said:
Bay Area is like a 2nd home to me and I grew up going there every summer since I was a kid.

Anyway, Lake Tahoe is absolutely gorgeous! Baker Beach in San Francisco is pretty awesome when you get to have the best view - seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and the Pacific Ocean. :D

Los Angeles is different than what I am used to as compared to NorCal, ha. Had a great time spending a week in LA with Rio 2 1/2 years ago. Darn her for getting me hooked on the fried bananas lol

Lol it was a blast!

I lived in Northern California in a really small town call Whitethorn around 1972 or 1973 . I loved it up there. The air was so clean you could see the moon beam . We people had no electricity or telephones and some people build a small house in the woods and paid no rent. I looked up Whitethorn on line and it is all being develop, the beautiful trees are all done and roads are being put in . I was so sad to see this, I knew it would happen one day , but it a shame to see such a beautiful place destroyed . It will never be the same , the beauty will gone by the time people build more homes schools etc.
People will never know what they miss seeing . I when to check out a cabin to rent and there was a small waterfall coming down the moutain and a deer
was drinking water under the waterfall. this will not happen anymore.

Mission Bay Beach in San Diego is the best for me!

Too many things in CA, it is like a bag of jellybeans. This is what I think.

Northmost under Oregon cities (the next biggest place), Mount Shasta and the lake are pure nature away from society. Redding has a lot of mountain air since it's away from congestion of the bigger CA cities. I also seen a lot of old western buildings still hanging out there, reminds me of the Gold Rush. Lots of jet ski, camping, mountain biking and outdoor events.

As we go south, Sacramento has history, more inlands and a mix.. If SF and LA mixed then I would say that's how Sac is like. San Jose is kinda similar to Sacramento.
San Francisco is the Californian version of New York/Boston, everyone's probably visited SF. Lots of sports teams, LA is SF's rival.
I like the southern-coastal region along SF. Half moon bay, Monterey, Santa Cruz are all nature and wildlife-influenced cities.

To the central, we have lots of cities with Hispanic roots in the Central Valley.
Fresno county is the Californian version of what some of east US is like - upstate NY, PA, VA, TN farmlands without the mountains (the grounds are all flat). It's actually somewhat easier to picture it like a LA version of Kansas or Amarillo in Texas, whichever seems more familiar.
If you want nature: Yosemite, Kings, Sequoias are all just a short distance from Fresno, it's the closest city to the big 3 national parks.

Then, going down south from Central, there's not much until you get to Bakersfield which is a growing region, but it can get pretty boring there... It's mostly desert land that has been modernized to accommodate to interstate businesses and small time operations.

Now over to the real south California.
Santa Barbara is like the middle class version of Malibu. If you want an easy-going life with social stuff, move to SB.

After that, the whole region is LA county. Not too many major tourist-friendly attractions outside of Hollywood area. LA county is made mostly business-oriented in mind. Lots of choices of food because of the cultures. The ports and museums can be a few days of fun. There are some mini-Monterey areas at Palos Verde, but aside from that it's just one giant city complex until you get past Irvine/Newport Beach and into Mission Viejo-San Juan Capistrano area. Lots of history and old style buildings in Mission Viejo/SJC.

Riverside, San Bernardino and the Rancho Cucamonga area can be really noticed for the California housing boom, you will see a lot of new housing that was built within the past ~10+ years here. To me it's mostly a residential suburb out of LA, closer to the desert cacti that wild westerners favor.

After that, it's San Diego. San Diego has a lot of the historical part of SJC, it is like if you added So.Cal beaches and Mission Viejo together, you got San Diego.
Then, it's Mexico. If you go past Tijuana, you might disappear. :ugh3:

I've lived in California my whole life and still haven't seen it all. Naisho did a great job describing our state. There are so many beautiful lakes that we love to go boating on. When we want to see snow in the winter we only need to drive about 40 minutes.

Carmel is a beautiful place to stay, the beaches are beautiful with white sand. Take a drive down highway 1 and you will see amazing turquoise colored ocean, Hearst Castle and amazing scenery. Moro Bay is another beautiful stop. I avoid Los Angeles, not a great place to visit IMO. You can't go wrong visiting San Francisco with the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars and every type of restaurant you can imagine.

I love Tahoe soooo much! Its beautiful!!!! Plus, its not a bad place to party with your girlfriends either :naughty:

Wirelessly posted

naisho said:
Too many things in CA, it is like a bag of jellybeans. This is what I think.

Northmost under Oregon cities (the next biggest place), Mount Shasta and the lake are pure nature away from society. Redding has a lot of mountain air since it's away from congestion of the bigger CA cities. I also seen a lot of old western buildings still hanging out there, reminds me of the Gold Rush. Lots of jet ski, camping, mountain biking and outdoor events.

As we go south, Sacramento has history, more inlands and a mix.. If SF and LA mixed then I would say that's how Sac is like. San Jose is kinda similar to Sacramento.
San Francisco is the Californian version of New York/Boston, everyone's probably visited SF. Lots of sports teams, LA is SF's rival.
I like the southern-coastal region along SF. Half moon bay, Monterey, Santa Cruz are all nature and wildlife-influenced cities.

To the central, we have lots of cities with Hispanic roots in the Central Valley.
Fresno county is the Californian version of what some of east US is like - upstate NY, PA, VA, TN farmlands without the mountains (the grounds are all flat). It's actually somewhat easier to picture it like a LA version of Kansas or Amarillo in Texas, whichever seems more familiar.
If you want nature: Yosemite, Kings, Sequoias are all just a short distance from Fresno, it's the closest city to the big 3 national parks.

Then, going down south from Central, there's not much until you get to Bakersfield which is a growing region, but it can get pretty boring there... It's mostly desert land that has been modernized to accommodate to interstate businesses and small time operations.

Now over to the real south California.
Santa Barbara is like the middle class version of Malibu. If you want an easy-going life with social stuff, move to SB.

After that, the whole region is LA county. Not too many major tourist-friendly attractions outside of Hollywood area. LA county is made mostly business-oriented in mind. Lots of choices of food because of the cultures. The ports and museums can be a few days of fun. There are some mini-Monterey areas at Palos Verde, but aside from that it's just one giant city complex until you get past Irvine/Newport Beach and into Mission Viejo-San Juan Capistrano area. Lots of history and old style buildings in Mission Viejo/SJC.

Riverside, San Bernardino and the Rancho Cucamonga area can be really noticed for the California housing boom, you will see a lot of new housing that was built within the past ~10+ years here. To me it's mostly a residential suburb out of LA, closer to the desert cacti that wild westerners favor.

After that, it's San Diego. San Diego has a lot of the historical part of SJC, it is like if you added So.Cal beaches and Mission Viejo together, you got San Diego.
Then, it's Mexico. If you go past Tijuana, you might disappear. :ugh3:

I love your last sentence LOL

I forgot to mention that Mount Shasta is one sight to see... I once went by there to see Crater Lake in Oregon. I pulled over I-5 one time to take a picture of the view.... so awesome!

Mount Diablo is another place to have a neat view of the Bay Area around. Climb up to 4k feet and enjoy the view.

I forgot to mention that Mount Shasta is one sight to see... I once went by there to see Crater Lake in Oregon. I pulled over I-5 one time to take a picture of the view.... so awesome!

Mount Diablo is another place to have a neat view of the Bay Area around. Climb up to 4k feet and enjoy the view.

I totally agree. We rented a house boat on Lake Shasta and it was one of our best vacations ever. The drive there was amazing with millions of sunflowers. You can waterski on the lake and see snow on the mountains.

Back