C.i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
my guess deaf kid is hiding to won't tell parent that they dont like CI cuz parents are control. I dont like that idae, wish i can ban CI for good

Parents are in control because no one challenges the parents.

Why do people argue? because of disagreements.

How can a child argue if he doesn't have the intelligence to do so? Even this child can wait until this person gets older and probably will argue. It's up to the parents opened minds if they want the best thing for their children.

Banning CIs won't even help the Deaf culture. It'll just make the whole deaf culture appear awful to hearing people's eyes.

Best thing is to prove that Deaf culture exists and is a better choice than CIs.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Best thing is to prove that Deaf culture exists and is a better choice than CIs.

Only the problem is, they will never be able to prove it as long they are stuck with the attitude.

DeafAlwAyZRawKs,
i second that, fine BANJO why dont u put urself in CI then maybe you'll get the idea.....

Just because I'm not implanted doesn't mean I can't support them.

The thing is, what parents are doing with their children are none of your business. You should educate yourself on cochlear implants before you speak out on this thread.

You are speaking out purely based on Deaf Pride/Culture, and it doesn't help nor make any sense.

In about 10 years or so when most traditional Deaf culture militant activists are replaced with new contemporary deaf culture advocates.

Its happening...just not overnight.

Originally posted by MikeLinux
:roll: When will this ongoing debate bring to stop?

It looks to me it will never stop it will just go on and on Its beginning to look like a tug-o' war

Oh so much fer controversies within us Deafies esp when it comes to Ci's so I'll sit on the fence over that debate.

Silence Gold,
Written language reflects a person's mastery of spoken language and vice-versa.

look i have ci myself and i hate it very much bec it doesn't help me at all!!!! so i am thinking abt getting one of my ci out of way and leave the other one bec i have a bad infection in my right ear shessh i hate that!!!

Originally posted by deafdyke
Silence Gold,

You are correct for hearing people.

Oralists tend to avoid using complicated words because of the difficulty of pronouncing those words. They would cut it down on spoken language to be as simple as possible. In written forms, yes, they can be more sophisticated in writings.

For deaf people, it all depends on how they learned English.

i did research on CI implanting, most children have CI then they destroy 'em because they hate them so much and everything, most % of deaf children hates CI whats the point of continuing implanting them?

Originally posted by DeafAlwAyZRawKs
i did research on CI implanting, most children have CI then they destroy 'em because they hate them so much and everything, most % of deaf children hates CI whats the point of continuing implanting them?

Because of the deaf child's parents getting enough resources to research to make a proper decision.

I am an CI person. I have not destoryed my implant. I just don't wear it anymore but I could if I wanted to.

Originally posted by DeafAlwAyZRawKs

Most Deaf Children? You must be reading flawed b.s.
"Research".. POST it here, then we can see. Otherwise, it could be you bullshitting for all we know.

Stop spreading misinformation, it is not helping either side.

Brenden

Originally posted by deafdyke
Silence Gold,

Not necessarily.

That didn't happen to me.

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
my guess deaf kid is hiding to won't tell parent that they dont like CI cuz parents are control. I dont like that idae, wish i can ban CI for good

That's your impression.

You're still a kid, become a parent and you'll see what it's all about.

I know I am a parent of 2 girls, and about to be a parent to a THIRD girl.. Yes you read that right.. We boinked too much.

Anyway, I have a family of two deaf parents who want the best for their child. They put a CI on her,and she's so happy with sound.

I don't see why you all are negating based on what you don't know about. SHut up unless you have personal experience with it. Using personal experiences from others isn't always the truth.

Brenden

I was a pro-Deaf and ANti-CI Before. I put CI in myself, and I see what it's all about. Those of you who haven't even touched the CI or open your minds, you all are fools.

You are not the authority on the subject unless you have ONE or know the real FACTS.

Originally posted by tAzMaNiAc
Not necessarily.

That didn't happen to me.

Would you please explain to me?

You're great at writing then not well at speaking?

In written forms, yes, they can be more sophisticated in writings.
Nope, that is inaccurate. If it were true, then the average reading and writing levels of all deaf and hoh people would be a lot higher. The reading and writing levels of ALL deaf and hoh people are at a 4th grade level(not just ASL users!) . Let's take an AllDeaf example to illustrate what I mean. (note to mods I am NOT picking on these people..... I'm just using them as an example)
Look at the written language of BabyPhat (who is strong oral and who has even attended an oral school) Her written language is just OK...not saying it's not good but it's not exactly something that would be seen in an Honors English class or even a mainstream average level class.Her vocabulary is not that sophisticated, and there are numorous syntaxial and grammartical errors seen that are simlair to "Deaf" grammar and syntax errors. Compare her written language to the written language of allisonjoy or teddy. (both of whom use ASL as their primary language) Their written English expression is EXTREMELY good, with only an occasional grammar/syntax error, simlair to what would be seen in a mainstream average English class.
You're great at writing then not well at speaking?
Oral deaf people tend to have good speech (pronounciation, articulation, clarity, pitch, volume etc) but not have a really good grasp on the langauage itself. Sort of like.....a hearing person might be able to pronounce things really well in French but only have the language mastery of a French 2nd or 4th grader. (in English terms that would mean that the person was using vocab/syntax/ grammar/sentance complexity like that found in Captain Underpants whereas a native of English would be reading Stephen King or even academic tomes like Backlash or stuff that makes William Safire look like Captain Underpants!
My speech is decent but my language is even better!
That's b/c my parents didn't spend thousands of hours and years on a "pwetty wittle voice" They understand that what I say is more important then HOW I say it! Do you understand now?

mmmmm whoawhoawhoa, brenden, just take it easy, I dont have experience, but I SEE them, my friends have CI they totally hate it, because they get treated like LOW-life people..... i just dont understand what you have against me being against CI? mm

[Most Deaf Children? You must be reading flawed b.s.
"Research".. POST it here, then we can see/QUOTE]
Taz, I am neutral on CI but on the other hand you could also have biased research. The plain fact of the matter is that oralism is a BIG business. If oralists can produce "convincing" evidence that it works, then they get tons of money, from desperate parents who want their kids to be "normal"
There's a reason why AGBell has a big fancy magazine whereas ASFDC(American Society for Deaf Children) just has a plain old newsletter!
It's about MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most members of AGBell are hyperdriven yuppies whose children would be sucessful even if they did ASL only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back