C.i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to share my feelings with you...

My best friend's husband sent me email about setbacks on getting CI for his son since the doctor in Warren, Ohio who had performing many CI surgeries on Deaf patients who was killed in plane crash two months ago. The office in Warren is no longer serving since of the doctor's unexpected death. They went to Pittsburgh and Columbus to explore other options and they were told they did not perform surgeries or insurance won't cover it and other setbacks.

Of course, I love my best friend, but I was upset that my best friend who has CI and her daughter has CI, too as well as her son will receive CI. My best friend has third on the way.. I wonder her third one will get CI like brother and sister?? The Deaf kids do not make any choices. I told myself that I will not put CI on my kids unless they want CI in their heads (of course I will provide them pros/cons and support their decisions). Putting CI in small kids' heads is bothering me personally.. I am sorry to say this... I am totally against them putting CI in their kids' heads without their informed choices.

I know how you feel. I've noticed that a larger number of students this year at RIT have gotten CIs. What even disappointed me more is that they don't even sign, just voice. Some of them used to sign until they got CIs and when I sign to them, they reply back by voice as if they are refusing to acknowledge their deaf background.

Originally posted by Sydlie
If I had a Deaf child I would NEVER let anyone perform a serious surgery on a perfectly healthy child. Now, if my child turned 18 and relaly wanted it, I would do everything I could to help financially and support him or her in any way possible.

That's where you are wrong.

It's not a serious surgery. It's an outpatient procedure. It took me 6 hours for the surgery, and recovery. I then went home in my polo and shorts!

See why I hate rumors, misinformation! I have done the procedure myself, and have ONE! I also have seen a 18 month old get it, and by god she is just fine and perfectly happy now! You also have to know that small children don't feel the pain adults do, since their nerves are not fully grown yet.

The doctors don't put it in your head -- it is just under the skin on the mastoid bone (they drill a little out of that VERY thick bone to "fit" the CI on so it won't move around)

I don't think you have the true proper idea of what CI is all about, really. I used to think all of those things till I got the facts.

Brenden

Last edited:
Originally posted by VamPyroX
I know how you feel. I've noticed that a larger number of students this year at RIT have gotten CIs. What even disappointed me more is that they don't even sign, just voice. Some of them used to sign until they got CIs and when I sign to them, they reply back by voice as if they are refusing to acknowledge their deaf background.

They may have the wrong idea. What is encouraged is that 1 yr or so, they concentrate at listening and voices so that the brain picks up all the stuff. When you get a CI, it's like you have a baby's ears.

Sad that they would act that way. It's probably on bad advice from AV or Doctors.

Brenden

I had one of my friend. Her mother tried to get CI on her daughter, after got surgery, it was failed. :(

She still have metal struck in her head, I felt her head. I was shock and feel sorry for her. :cry:

It's very rare for CI to have operator are fail.

Originally posted by illustrator
I had one of my friend. Her mother tried to get CI on her daughter, after got surgery, it was failed. :(

She still have metal struck in her head, I felt her head. I was shock and feel sorry for her. :cry:

It's very rare for CI to have operator are fail.

Curious.......

Do you still get a shock everytime you touch her head ? I know you said failed but still.......

Hmmm....... I am thinkin' my kids didn't get shock from touchin' my head, my husband didn't get shock from my head either.....

Wendy ;)

Last edited:
why CI ? i think hearing aids are good enough! ... :ugh:

I am kinda disappointed at people who are trying to change deaf people to hearing world. It is so wrong.

For example, people were born with black skin, did people create some chemistry to make black people become white people? NO? I SUPPORT BLACK PEOPLE AND WHATEVER THEY ARE BORN WITH!

However, NOW someone created that if deaf people born with hearing loss, they have technical to help deaf people to hear something.

You guys dont know how AWESOME deaf people are! THIS IS DEAF CULTURE!!! So be like that way! and be PROUD of yourself.

Some people who are deaf, are not proud of themselves, and getting Cochlear Implant. This is like we all deaf people are MACHINE!

Geez, I am sorry, but this is awful that people who create Cochlear Implant because they DOES want us to be MACHINE. Thank to hearing people who invented the new machine for deaf people.

I am sorry because I DONT EVEN SUPPORT THE MACHINE, yes you guys are right, i am totally against to this disgusting machine to be called "Cochlear Implant"

I am pretty disappointed to this world.

Originally posted by daprilz
why CI ? i think hearing aids are good enough! ... :ugh:

like i said hearing aids is good enough! :ugh:

Originally posted by VamPyroX

Oh my gosh, it is really sad. They miss so much of their true idenfities. Glad, my hearing Mom accepted me for who I am. She willing signed to communication with me.

I have seen alot of hearing parents resist to learn ASL to communication with their Deaf children. They just want to get them CI without willing to learn ASL.

Thanks Taz :D I appreciate it. Whoa, some people say CI is implanted in the brain... It does sound like some people feel threatened by the idea of having CI. Just like the idea of learning ASL or other sign languages threatens any hearing people have. Both ways of thinking sound quite ridiculous, huh?? ;) I've been trying to learn using my voice and increasing my lipreading memory for English and Norwegian both.. doesnt hurt either, along with knowing ASL and Norwegian sign language! ;)

Misinformation sucks... altho people are perfectly entitled to their opinions. I am beginning to wish they didnt have to say something like it's a fact without backup sources and citations. I also wish people didn't force their views just beacuse they work for them... their views may not work for us.

"The days of playing catch-up to the hearing world are gone forever."

If you want it stopped, tell a moderator to lock or remove this thread. Simple as that. Some of us like to debate about these CI issues.

Mod: Oríginal poster wanted the discussion stopped, so I am locking this thread. PM me if you want this reopened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back