Buying PC [B][/B]

sillycat

Reaction score
My old computer broke down and Im looking for a new PC computer. What would be the best PC to buy?? What is the best software to buy to protect against virus, trojan horses, etc.?? :ty:

My old computer broke down and Im looking for a new PC computer. What would be the best PC to buy?? What is the best software to buy to protect against virus, trojan horses, etc.?? :ty:

:D I suggest you buy this:
toilet2.gif

(I hope you know I'm just joking!) :)

If I were you, I'd just get whats off from shelve, but with the latest CPU, and recommended AMD Athlon 64 x2 or just Athlon 64. I know compaq sucks but so far only HP, Compaq are the ones that sells with AMD in general, there are other good one like ACER which I have now, and luvin it!

Reason why off from shelve? They are now much cheaper than the one you'd custom order and built! I personally like to build PC and have done that in the past, and now I quit because of the cost, and plus you need to buy full version of windows which could cost you at least 200 dollars.

If I were you, I'd just get whats off from shelve, but with the latest CPU, and recommended AMD Athlon 64 x2 or just Athlon 64. I know compaq sucks but so far only HP, Compaq are the ones that sells with AMD in general, there are other good one like ACER which I have now, and luvin it!

Reason why off from shelve? They are now much cheaper than the one you'd custom order and built! I personally like to build PC and have done that in the past, and now I quit because of the cost, and plus you need to buy full version of windows which could cost you at least 200 dollars.

Yea, I agree with you there. I priced several custom orders and I was taken aback that the prices were the same or more expensive. The biggest hit is the operating system unless you use Linux.

Yea, still IS cheap to buy PC from shelves EVEN if going to load Linux! I got HP Pavalion with AMD Athlon64 and I also have Acer Lappy having AMD Turion 64x2 with whopping 2 gig RAM and paid less than 900 dollars for that!

I have seen good AMD Athlon 64 PC for 500 dollars nowadays!

I advise against Intel Celeron, they are like "2nd" quality to normal Intel PC, same with AMD Sempron too. The reason I suggest 64 is that you wouldn't want your PC to become outdate sooner. 64 bit platform will be in normal mainstream very soon.

Yea, I agree with you there. I priced several custom orders and I was taken aback that the prices were the same or more expensive. The biggest hit is the operating system unless you use Linux.

Get Mac then you don't need worry about viruses and trojan horse. :D

Yep... Agree with DHB.. most of what is on the shelve today will meet your needs. Some include anti virus. If not, some ISP's (like comcast) are including a security center with the subscription. Best advise is to get what is within your budjet and then build from there (if needed). Good luck!!

Get Mac then you don't need worry about viruses and trojan horse. :D
Not True... there are NO operating systems that are immune from attacks and ALL have been attacked. Microsoft happens to be the one that is attacked the most because of it's wide use. I would recommend running anti-virus software on any system that is exposed to the internet regardless of the Operating System.

Not True... there are NO operating systems that are immune from attacks and ALL have been attacked. Microsoft happens to be the one that is attacked the most because of it's wide use. I would recommend running anti-virus software on any system that is exposed to the internet regardless of the Operating System.

I am afraid that you might be wrong. All Macs or Apple with OS X is the best way because it does not need anti-virus software. If you did not change the default your "new" computer's system (both IBM and Apple), that's where hackers love to invade your hard disk. I have a NetBarrier software to protect my computer from hacker's invasion. Since two and half years of my new Apple computer, no problem so far - yet.

I really do not want to repeat myself to convince you to buy an Apple computer. The truth I love my computer and I love my LCD monitor. I don't know what to tell you about IBM PC. IBM PC is nothing wrong with it, but it is still going on the same issue for years and years. I don't blame you not to change your lifestyle.

I don't like the presidents of Apple and Microsoft. Guess what it is not a big deal about them. It's important that I am very happy with my Apple computer. If you love your IBM PC, then just buy one and get a good anti-virus software before you get old.

Ideally, an Apple computer is ready to go that has everything in it. IBM PC needs some parts that require to meet its operating system, and it often need to replace the parts every few years. :dunno2: (You can compare the prices on shopping onlines - like bizrate.com , mysimon.com , dealtime.com , etc.)

I am afraid that you might be wrong. All Macs or Apple with OS X is the best way because it does not need anti-virus software. If you did not change the default your "new" computer's system (both IBM and Apple), that's where hackers love to invade your hard disk. I have a NetBarrier software to protect my computer from hacker's invasion. Since two and half years of my new Apple computer, no problem so far - yet.

I really do not want to repeat myself to convince you to buy an Apple computer. The truth I love my computer and I love my LCD monitor. I don't know what to tell you about IBM PC. IBM PC is nothing wrong with it, but it is still going on the same issue for years and years. I don't blame you not to change your lifestyle.

I don't like the presidents of Apple and Microsoft. Guess what it is not a big deal about them. It's important that I am very happy with my Apple computer. If you love your IBM PC, then just buy one and get a good anti-virus software before you get old.

Ideally, an Apple computer is ready to go that has everything in it. IBM PC needs some parts that require to meet its operating system, and it often need to replace the parts every few years. :dunno2: (You can compare the prices on shopping onlines - like bizrate.com , mysimon.com , dealtime.com , etc.)
Sorry... do some research and you will see that ALL operating systems have been and are subject to attack. Here is a link to start you out with and I am sure if you investigated, you will find others. I am also sure there are reports of Linux and Solaris amongst other UX variants that have been attacked. What you have to consider is the ratio of operating systems deployed vs. attack frequency. Microsoft is the most widly attacted OS simply due to the number of deployments. It doesn't make other Operating Systems immune. Peace!

TMO Reports - Symantec: Mac Virus, Hacker Attacks on the Rise || The Mac Observer

I am strong agreed with Webexplorer. My son had frustrasted with his grandma's PC, my ex wife's mom. My ex wife does not like Window and told me too many problems. She is glad with iBook with Mac OS X never problem.

My son always says I love Mac because he knows the fact Mac OS X is good operating system that proves. But it is not prefect. I don't have anit virus and Netbarrier. I ask you how good is Netbarrier? I might concern to buy.

Sorry... do some research and you will see that ALL operating systems have been and are subject to attack. Here is a link to start you out with and I am sure if you investigated, you will find others. I am also sure there are reports of Linux and Solaris amongst other UX variants that have been attacked. What you have to consider is the ratio of operating systems deployed vs. attack frequency. Microsoft is the most widly attacted OS simply due to the number of deployments. It doesn't make other Operating Systems immune. Peace!

TMO Reports - Symantec: Mac Virus, Hacker Attacks on the Rise || The Mac Observer

I understand what you mean about that. It is a possible, but Apple always update the system immediately if something happens. I was told that most of them already are fixed. I am not exact sure if the Microsoft does the same thing to update your computer immediately - I better hope so.

Actually, I have thought about this situation because any company is not telling the truth. My best judgement is that Mac OS X is much cleaner than XP Window inside the program that give the employee to find and fix it clearly without spending several hours. My best assume that they are working on Vista from the scratch - they learned a big lesson. It is too bad that they cannot share it on the same machine. What a nut...

I understand what you mean about that. It is a possible, but Apple always update the system immediately if something happens. I was told that most of them already are fixed. I am not exact sure if the Microsoft does the same thing to update your computer immediately - I better hope so.

Actually, I have thought about this situation because any company is not telling the truth. My best judgement is that Mac OS X is much cleaner than XP Window inside the program that give the employee to find and fix it clearly without spending several hours. My best assume that they are working on Vista from the scratch - they learned a big lesson. It is too bad that they cannot share it on the same machine. What a nut...
I assume you mean that MAC systems that are on-line can get security updates immediatly. That said, Microsoft does offer the same update service. As far as ease of use, that is subjective. Anyone that is proficient in a given operating system will be able to navigate quickly to where they need to be in order to accomplish updates and fixes.

I am strong agreed with Webexplorer. My son had frustrasted with his grandma's PC, my ex wife's mom. My ex wife does not like Window and told me too many problems. She is glad with iBook with Mac OS X never problem.

My son always says I love Mac because he knows the fact Mac OS X is good operating system that proves. But it is not prefect. I don't have anit virus and Netbarrier. I ask you how good is Netbarrier? I might concern to buy.
I'm not familiar with Netbarrier. What I do know is that once your system is on the internet and browsing, you are subject to attack. The only way to make any computer immune, regardless of the operating system, is to remove the floppy drive, CD drive, removable storage access, don't connect it to the internet and lock it in a room... That is the only way to make it immune.

Nope, with one exception... In history no one have ever successfully hacked or throw in virus on OS-400.

To make this clear, your partly right. It is true that almost every OS is subject to virus and hacker attacks, but which OS has to deal the attacks the most? You guessed it! Its Micro$oft! These M$ OS is number one most attacked OS of all OS! So, with MAC, Linux and others, you get far much less chance of getting attacked than M$ OS!
I rest my case!

NetBarrier and Apple's sharing (firewall) are alike, but NetBarrier lets you to see how many attacks on my computer. It also let you to see where it comes from. Apple's sharing does not have the attack list, but it protects your hard disk, and even to set up stealth mode so that the internet users or companies cannot see my computer's activity. It's hard for me to tell you which one is better because they are powerful. For Mac users, you could read about the software - NetBarrier

I just checked to see how many users tried to attack my computer on the internet - the result is six. That was a very small amount of attacks. What a cute number I bet that they are so exhausted for nothing. Last year, I had about 200 attacks - nothing happen so far...

Nope, with one exception... In history no one have ever successfully hacked or throw in virus on OS-400.

To make this clear, your partly right. It is true that almost every OS is subject to virus and hacker attacks, but which OS has to deal the attacks the most? You guessed it! Its Micro$oft! These M$ OS is number one most attacked OS of all OS! So, with MAC, Linux and others, you get far much less chance of getting attacked than M$ OS!
I rest my case!
DHB it's what I said earlier at least twice. The reason that Microsoft OS get's hacked is due to sheer numbers. It's the most widely used operatiing system in service. And I won't argue about OS 400 not being attacked but it doesn't mean it's immune from attacks. Peace!

I just don't want to argue whether who is right. I leave it to you. I would think that I recommend sillycat to follow LuciaDisturbed's suggestion, "Understanding the Technology."

I rest my case and enjoy my peaceful mind not have to worry about my Apple computer situation. It is smart thing to do is to get an Apple computer period, no matter what. I respect your choice, and I hope that I am not rude to you about it.

Back