Bushisms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without an accent? Are you guys being serious? First off, you just basically cut out TONS of people from running for president if they can't have whatever it is you deem to be an accent. And in case you have forgotten, no matter which accent a person has (unless it is from another country), he or she is still going to sound distinctly 'American' when communicating with other countries. To say a president should not have an accent is absolutely ridiculous.

On another note, I never said he doesn't mess up all the time. In fact, I acknowledged that in my first post. I simply said that the quotations chosen were not good examples of poor speech, seeing as most of them probably made perfect sense in context.

For example:
"He was a great father before politics, a great father during politics and a great father after politics." --George W. Bush, on his father, George H.W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Nov. 12, 2008

This makes perfect sense to me. I don't know why this is on a list of Bushisms.

"We're fixing to go down to Galveston and obviously are going to see a devastated part of this fantastic state." --George W. Bush, Houston, Sept. 16, 2008

Although this is a little bit awkward syntactically, there is nothing wrong with this one either. "Fixing to go" is a perfectly legitimate verb phrase in the Southern US dialect. And if you say it shouldn't be used in 'formal' situations by the president, we would need to know who he was talking to.

"First of all, I don't see America having problems." --George W. Bush, interview with Bob Costas at the 2008 Olympics, Beijing, China, Aug. 10, 2008

This was said at the Olympics. How do we know he wasn't talking about the American Olympic team? I mean, Michael Phelps did clean up pretty well. :P

And to show that I'm not one-sided:

"And they have no disregard for human life." --George W. Bush, on the brutality of Afghan fighters, Washington, D.C., July 15, 2008

Ugh, Bush, really?

"as for choosing between effective communication and informational knowledge, why can't i demand that my president demonstrate both? i don't think that's too much to ask."

It's not. That's one of the big reasons I voted for Obama, I loved that he could inspire with his speeches and his clarity. It's not that I think Bush speaks all that well, it's that he has garnered this reputation for poor speaking to the point that people are taking quotes of his that are perfectly legitimate and somehow trying to frame them as incorrect. That's the part I disagree with.

that is why majority of Americans voted for Bush. They loved his "Texan plain-talk" style. To be honest - I do too. I wouldn't mind him being my neighbor or a friend even though he was a lousy-ass President. Blame the Americans for voting him, not him. He simply ran the race like everybody else.

I think at that time - people were fed up with "bureaucratic elitist" attitude. Looks like they learned their lesson. It's best to hire an effective & intelligent communicator than "heeyyy i feel ya!" person.

Or a "You betcha!" or a "my friend" person.:giggle:

yes he has. im sorry i don't want someone to be in charge of the country who was a deserter in the military.

neither do i. isn't that ironic since bush was the one who initiated the war in iraq?

neither do i. isn't that ironic since bush was the one who initiated the war in iraq?

In a way I am glad that we went. we saved that country from a terrible tyrant and they were very happy we did. I know because I was there. but it was a mistake to stay.

In a way I am glad that we went. we saved that country from a terrible tyrant and they were very happy we did. I know because I was there. but it was a mistake to stay.

i strongly disagree with the war for more reasons than one and am glad we will start withdrawing our troops by june.

that being said, i respect our differences of opinion. :)

I'm not so sure that Iraq is better off today but I respect your service to this country.

I'm not so sure that Iraq is better off today but I respect your service to this country.

What I am saying is they are better off once we removed Saddam but we should have pulled out quickly after. Us staying there for all these years made everything worst. I talked to the Iraqi's one on one. They all are agree that it is better that he and his family are gone but they are mad that we stayed there. some are glad we stayed but alot arent.

What I am saying is they are better off once we removed Saddam but we should have pulled out quickly after. Us staying there for all these years made everything worst. I talked to the Iraqi's one on one. They all are agree that it is better that he and his family are gone but they are mad that we stayed there. some are glad we stayed but alot arent.

we DID think we will pull out quickly after we remove Saddam. turned out that it wasn't easy because nobody could agree on leader... which led to Iraq Civil War. USA made a fundamental mistake by treating Iraq as a "democratic" country... instead of tribal state.

we DID think we will pull out quickly after we remove Saddam. turned out that it wasn't easy because nobody could agree on leader... which led to Iraq Civil War. USA made a fundamental mistake by treating Iraq as a "democratic" country... instead of tribal state.

exactly. democracy will *never* work in iraq. iraq has been fighting with other middle eastern countries for centuries. that will never change. bush is delusional if he thinks iraq has any chance of becoming a democratic state.

Thats right, its like asking a baby to start running and doing Anatomy home work. Just not possible.

Thats right, its like asking a baby to start running and doing Anatomy home work. Just not possible.

there you go. perfect analogy!

mmm, im not so sure about your accents comment, yes sure, so long as everyone all over the US can understand you, you are never going to rid it, but for example if I talked scots with full accent, none of the english would understand, nor the welsh, you ahve to be understood by the people you represent or else whats the point?
it's not the accent thats the problem anyway, he's as thick as 2 short planks, he could have got away with being a texan if his IQ reached double figures.
the US really lost alot of respect from the rest of the world voting in such a numpty barely able to string a sentence together, he is the perfect example money can buy votes in the US or at least the media to help pull the wool over their eyes, good bye and good riddance mr bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back