Burglar alarms for the deaf?

JBAInTexas

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to see which are the best places to buy a motion detector or a burglar alarm that flashes strobe lights. Does a such product exist? Do alarm companies have that option for the Deaf? Thank you.

Yes, there are burglar alarms that flash strobe lights. The main aim of strobe light is to discourage criminals by disconcerting them. It produces 4-6 flashes a second, and when connected with security mist protection and the security alarm, it confuses the intruders and compels them to leave the premises right away.

Nowadays there are a lot of companies that provide security system installation for the deaf. I have installed a security system at home. It is mainly to monitor my mamma who is deaf when I and my wife go to the office. I had installed it last year. If we have such a system at home, we need not worry about our dear ones at home and we can work at peace. If you are looking for a burglar alarm, I would suggest you get it installed soon

Personally I always thought dogs filled this function... I'd go with light sensors myself.

Personally I always thought dogs filled this function... I'd go with light sensors myself.

Yep, there are light sensors. But I'm with ya on the dogs! I have one that can seem ferocious (she's not, but looks like it!) and that would be enough to scare off any burglar, I'm sure. The other dog must go to the door with her mouth full of toys, so she would not exactly be helpful. (She would be telling the burglar, "here, take one!") ;)

I can see how a dog would help — if you can stand to be around a dog yourself!

I love dogs... but currently can't have one because I don't live in my own place and money. If I could I'd be considering a dog. Just not a Chow Chow.

We know you don't like dogs. You don't have to keep reminding us. And yes, we know not everyone likes dogs, but it is a natural suggestion for the deaf/HoH as there are hearing dogs, just like there are seeing dogs. I'm sure most people would suggest a dog to a blind person - who may not like dogs, so why not suggest one to a deaf/HoH person.

You sound like a bitter person who have a hatred for dogs.

(1) Buy a home automation hub (about $200). Make sure it supports your device.

(2) Get an alarm system that supports that home automation hub.

(3) Buy smart light bulbs that the home automation hub supports. About $10 per smart lightbulb minimum.

(4) Use your iPhone or iPad app to link (2) to (3)

(5) Now all your smart light bulbs will flash with your smoke alarm, burglar alarm, phone ring, and doorbell ring.

If you want to skip step (1), make sure you get HomeKit-compatible WiFi lightbulbs that do not require a hub. WiFi bulbs are a little more expensive, but it can save the $200 hub if you already have an iPhone, and if your alarm system already supports "HomeKit".

But if you get a home automation hub ($200), your options expand! Telephone ring, doorbell ring, burglar alarm, etc. Stick to a common standard (e.g. "Zigbee signal" or "Z-Wave signal"). These are special radio signals that the system can transmit to a hub. The hub then then transmit a wireless signal to the light bulbs. Find a home automation hub or bridge that supports them all.

Basically there's different signalling standards.

Then you can use your iPad or phone to link your alarm system to a programmable light bulb (e.g. Philips Hue or other WiFi/Bluetooth light bulbs).

Programmable-color bulbs are more expensive (but you can use red flashing light for smoke, blue flashing light for doorbell, and yellow fast-flash for burglar). But some cheap smart bulbs are now less than $10 in a pack. White color only but that's sometimes all you can afford.

Now you've linked your alarm system to your house's lights!

Last edited:
Not everyone likes dogs, but it is a natural suggestion for the deaf/HoH as there are hearing dogs, just like there are seeing dogs

That is true. A security system that is equipped with lights is great to use

It’s not what the OP has in mind, I use a wifi connected portable security cam made by Zmodo. You can access it through its smartphone app anytime, anywhere. It will actively record snippets of any motion detected (uses IR view at night) or if a door/window sensor is tripped, your smartphone will notify you of these activities.

Attachments

• 1F99B55F-1DD8-4C86-8DCD-50B5FB75D4AF.jpeg
    1F99B55F-1DD8-4C86-8DCD-50B5FB75D4AF.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3
  • EE52ADB9-7167-4F5A-9137-4C875FA49B85.jpeg
    EE52ADB9-7167-4F5A-9137-4C875FA49B85.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 84532E6F-74BC-4EA1-BDB6-11A80C34CF9A.jpeg
    84532E6F-74BC-4EA1-BDB6-11A80C34CF9A.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
I like Ring which is easy to install. One nice thing is that there is an option come with Solar connect to the battery or batteries. In the front, I use regular electric connect directly to our circuit breaker. Since it's so close to each other but if you want to install something in the back of the house, you will need to hire electrician to install the wire all around the house and can be costly. Now the Ring come with Solar and you can place it almost virtually anywhere. So now I have both Front and back and if there any motions it will notify my phone with vibrations. I have one burglar caught in the act. See video below:

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 4
I heard positive things about GetSafe.com Can't hurt to look it up.

Well, if you can't afford it, set up Home Alone booby traps in your home.

View attachment 24734
Oh, Sneakernet. I am sure you know what I mean!!! That's terrible! Poor dog. If owners don't have any pet, then they can set up booby traps in the house.

How much of the point of a burglar alarm with a siren is to scare the burglar away and how much is to alert the home owner? If the main objective is to scare the burglar away it would not matter how well you can hear.

How much of the point of a burglar alarm with a siren is to scare the burglar away and how much is to alert the home owner? If the main objective is to scare the burglar away it would not matter how well you can hear.

I think it does matter. Suppose the burglar doesn't get scared away and ignores the alarm- or worse yet manages to cut it off shortly after the thing goes off. I'd want to know if/when there was a break in so I could at least call the police and give them a running chance on catching the fool trying to burgle me!

Back