Bumping against limits

Tetracyclone

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a 60-something with severe hearing loss that has been progressive now for 30 years. I got my first analog devices in 1990. Lord how I hated them! Shifted to digital in2000 courtesy of the State of Kentucky. I am now using the last possible device before further amplification would damage whatever residual hearing I have.

I'm married, having found this mate in 2001. If my hearing had been then what it is now we could not have gotten together. He's had great difficulty adapting to my creeping hearing loss and we both get quite frustrating trying to communicate. Same with my family members- communication is too much bother given stresses that already existed in those relationships. As I'm sure many of you know, life is just like that sometimes. Relationships change.

What else... ? I have ADP, or huge difficulty processing language even when I hear the sounds. This is likely (in part) the result of having neglected use of my hearing devices for many years, leaving my auditory processing capability to degenerate. It actually only takes a few months, as I have learned in my study of brain function.

I learned some basic ASL years ago but can no longer use it. In 2008 I was in a traffic accident that left me quadriplegic and while I have some hand function I cannot sign effectively.

Last, have severe macular degeneration in both eyes, not sure how long I will be able to read, but my point in making this list is that the losses of skin sensation, heating, and sight have taught me something about the role of all sensations in our experience of life and in maintaining healthy brain function. I'm working on an essay about that. I think its important to put words on it.

Most of what social interaction I have is through the written word. It is about the only option for making new friends and finding social stimulation.

Hello all. I am a 60-something with severe hearing loss that has been progressive now for 30 years. I got my first analog devices in 1990. Lord how I hated them! Shifted to digital in2000 courtesy of the State of Kentucky. I am now using the last possible device before further amplification would damage whatever residual hearing I have.

I'm married, having found this mate in 2001. If my hearing had been then what it is now we could not have gotten together. He's had great difficulty adapting to my creeping hearing loss and we both get quite frustrating trying to communicate. Same with my family members- communication is too much bother given stresses that already existed in those relationships. As I'm sure many of you know, life is just like that sometimes. Relationships change.

What else... ? I have ADP, or huge difficulty processing language even when I hear the sounds. This is likely (in part) the result of having neglected use of my hearing devices for many years, leaving my auditory processing capability to degenerate. It actually only takes a few months, as I have learned in my study of brain function.

I learned some basic ASL years ago but can no longer use it. In 2008 I was in a traffic accident that left me quadriplegic and while I have some hand function I cannot sign effectively.

Last, have severe macular degeneration in both eyes, not sure how long I will be able to read, but my point in making this list is that the losses of skin sensation, heating, and sight have taught me something about the role of all sensations in our experience of life and in maintaining healthy brain function. I'm working on an essay about that. I think its important to put words on it.

Most of what social interaction I have is through the written word. It is about the only option for making new friends and finding social stimulation.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Maybe you could find a way to express this through writing so that others know the difficulties you're going through. I think that many people don't know about and don't want to know about the trails facing people today. I feel like people need to know.

Welcome, Tetracyclone. You have come to the right place, even though it requires the patience of a saint.
Do you have fish for pets, or is that a foolish question?

I think of my husband as an exotic pet. A bit dangerous if I don't stay alert, but very interesting. Otherwise, due to high risk of infection, I don't keep anything with fur.:razz:

I think of my husband as an exotic pet. A bit dangerous if I don't stay alert, but very interesting. Otherwise, due to high risk of infection, I don't keep anything with fur.:razz:
:lol:
How about flying fish, then?
I think you will fit in here just fine.

You could never come to my house, with me having 3 cats and 2 dogs :)

Hi T and welcome. Sorry about all your challenges. I also struggle with APD and being HOH. I think your essay sounds like a great idea. I think the human brain is one of the most neglected parts of the body when it comes to how to keep it healthy.

Welcome. I am really sorry that things have gone down so badly for you. I completely understand how you feel. I am fortunate enough to not have macular degeneration, but the complete hearing loss has left me very isolated and communication is extremely difficult. Family is, well, lets just say I may as well be an orphan. Adjusting to it all is extremely difficult, but I can not imagine being in your shoes. Yes, put words to your pain. Just be careful, not everyone here tends to be empathetic.

Welcome. I am really sorry that things have gone down so badly for you. I completely understand how you feel. I am fortunate enough to not have macular degeneration, but the complete hearing loss has left me very isolated and communication is extremely difficult. Family is, well, lets just say I may as well be an orphan. Adjusting to it all is extremely difficult, but I can not imagine being in your shoes. Yes, put words to your pain. Just be careful, not everyone here tends to be empathetic.

I do not expect to put words to my pain but rather talk about the experience of being human as a function of sense perception. Whatever one's sensory loss, I think it is helpful to understand how that shapes our ability to learn and to enjoy life, as well as to recover from the loss.

Everyone experiences loss eventually, so anyone who has lost has the potential to connect with the loss of another, at least in the abstract.

In general pity is not enjoyed in giving or receiving, though most of us enjoy feeling luckier than the next guy, from time to time.

I do not expect to put words to my pain but rather talk about the experience of being human as a function of sense perception. Whatever one's sensory loss, I think it is helpful to understand how that shapes our ability to learn and to enjoy life, as well as to recover from the loss.

Everyone experiences loss eventually, so anyone who has lost has the potential to connect with the loss of another, at least in the abstract.

In general pity is not enjoyed in giving or receiving, though most of us enjoy feeling luckier than the next guy, from time to time.

Empathy isn't pity...it's just an understanding of what another person is going through. ;)

All I have right now to work through my anger, frustration and anxiety of trying to adjust to a very silent world is writing, painting, camping and fishing. Communication on any other level isn't possible right now. I have mostly withdrawn from social interaction because communicating is extremely difficult. Don't take kindly to being called a retard or an idiot by hearing people who have NO empathy or consideration. I joined AD because I thought I would find people who would understand. Instead I got attacked and called a liar. Fortunately there are a few folks who have been cool here and are worth getting to know.

Anyway, that's how I am dealing with things right now. I don't expect anyone to take the same view or route.

Empathy isn't pity...it's just an understanding of what another person is going through. ;)

All I have right now to work through my anger, frustration and anxiety of trying to adjust to a very silent world is writing, painting, camping and fishing. Communication on any other level isn't possible right now. I have mostly withdrawn from social interaction because communicating is extremely difficult. Don't take kindly to being called a retard or an idiot by hearing people who have NO empathy or consideration. I joined AD because I thought I would find people who would understand. Instead I got attacked and called a liar. Fortunately there are a few folks who have been cool here and are worth getting to know.

Anyway, that's how I am dealing with things right now. I don't expect anyone to take the same view or route.
I treasure those few I encounter in life with empathy. Writing, painting, and camping were once my first tools for coping with major bad stuff in life. I have not found much success communicating face to face either.

Back