BSL and ASL interpreter?

UK'er

Reaction score
I don't speak so I have to use sign language. I can only sign BSL but I've always wondered if I went to USA, possibly university, will they provide BSL interpreter just for that as I can't sign in ASL?

I don't speak so I have to use sign language. I can only sign BSL but I've always wondered if I went to USA, possibly university, will they provide BSL interpreter just for that as I can't sign in ASL?

That's a good question... I would imagine they would need to provide you with a BSL terp in order for the curriculum to be accessible. So I would say yes, they'd provide a BSL terp most likely.

I would send an email to some of the Universities you've considered and pose that question to them. The disability office I would think would be the place you should get in contact with.

That's a good question... I would imagine they would need to provide you with a BSL terp in order for the curriculum to be accessible. So I would say yes, they'd provide a BSL terp most likely.

I would send an email to some of the Universities you've considered and pose that question to them. The disability office I would think would be the place you should get in contact with.

What about deaf universities? For example, Galludet? I might only need interpreter for temporary period (for 3 months or so), until I become fluent in ASL?

That is good question points! OP help everyone help you!

I have not heard of Gallaudet providing foreign sign language interpreters. More likely you would get a CART captioning system in written English. You would enter the Jumpstart ASL Track (formerly called the New Signers Program, NSP) and learn ASL, then you would get the CART captioning for the first semester or two, however long you needed it. Oral students who arrive at Gallaudet without knowing ASL have the same accommodations.

I don't know about hearing universities but I think they would be similar.

I have not heard of Gallaudet providing foreign sign language interpreters. More likely you would get a CART captioning system in written English. You would enter the Jumpstart ASL Track (formerly called the New Signers Program, NSP) and learn ASL, then you would get the CART captioning for the first semester or two, however long you needed it. Oral students who arrive at Gallaudet without knowing ASL have the same accommodations.

I don't know about hearing universities but I think they would be similar.

What does the "CART" mean? How does it work?

What does the "CART" mean? How does it work?

CART = Computer Assisted Realtime Transcription

Basically, it's live captioning for whatever is said in the room. It can be done locally or remotely, and on a big screen or a little screen.

Gallaudet uses an interpreter/captioner team. Because captioners work with voice and sound, and Gallaudet is all ASL, they use a voice interpreter to translate the ASL into spoken English for the captioner. The interpreter holds a wireless microphone that is connected to the captioner's headphones. The captioner is not in the room, I don't know where they are...actually they can be anywhere in the world because it's done through the internet.

So anyway, the interpreter talks into the microphone and the captioner produces captions the same way it's done on TV. (Generally it is a little more accurate though!) The captions are transmitted to a laptop in the classroom, which is connected to a large TV screen and everybody can see the captions.

So it works like this:

ASL -> spoken English (interpreter) -> written English (captioner) -> TV screen

You can read more about CART here: Communications Access Information Center

I personally don't know any sign language interpreters who know BSL, and I've never heard of any that know it. It's not something that would be taught in any of our interpreter training programs, and there's no testing for it. I think it would be very tough to find somebody who could interpret for you unless you bring them with you from the UK.

There may be some around who've immigrated to the USA from Great Britain but they'd probably be few and far between.

There may be some around who've immigrated to the USA from Great Britain but they'd probably be few and far between.

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

I have used interpreters for nearly 40 years, and have never come across one who uses BSL. Then again, I didn't ask if they did.

I would assume finding a BSL interpreter would be quite difficult. CART is probably the best way to go until enough ASL is learned.

I have met an interpreter before who was fluent in BSL and ASL. They may be few and far between, but they do exist.

What about deaf universities? For example, Galludet? I might only need interpreter for temporary period (for 3 months or so), until I become fluent in ASL?

Reba is correct. The problem would be finding a terp in the US that is fluent in BSL. I agree with AlleyCat. Alternatives such as CART would no doubt be your best bet until you transition to greater ASL usage.

I have met an interpreter before who was fluent in BSL and ASL. They may be few and far between, but they do exist.

I had a terp who knew both ASL and BSL years ago. She's from England and she learned BSL from a deaf-blind cousin. However, I would agree with reba and jillio on this one.

That terp was the only terp I ever met who knew both ASL and BSL.

I had a terp who knew both ASL and BSL years ago. She's from England and she learned BSL from a deaf-blind cousin. However, I would agree with reba and jillio on this one.

Oh yes, let's not forget Alleycat too.

I am experience lots of ASL and bit BSL I love sign language! I am research lots of language!

that is right me too!

Hm this a very good question!! They must have interpreters with knowledge of other sign language apart from BSL, in event of emergencies or something? I mean what would happen if a deaf british person went over to america and ended up in hospital or something and could only communicate in sign?

Hm this a very good question!! They must have interpreters with knowledge of other sign language apart from BSL, in event of emergencies or something? I mean what would happen if a deaf british person went over to america and ended up in hospital or something and could only communicate in sign?
It would mean that every hospital must have a terp for every possible language in the world. That simply isn't possible. They might be able to use a remote hook up in that scenario.

Well, I can communicate in writing, but that's too long. Also, are the universities required to provide you note-takers?

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Note takers? Yes.

Back