Breastfeeding at 8 years old ???

Wouldn't that cause soreness in the girl's throat if she continued doing this?

I got sick with a heart condition after 3 months of breastfeeding my son in which I was put at risk for strokes so I had to take heart meds forcing me to stop breastfeeding him. I had to give him formula..no choice there.

My brothers and I were never breastfed and both of my brothers and I are very intelligent and healthy. :dunno:

There is no correlation between breastfeeding and intelligence.

Wouldn't that cause soreness in the girl's throat if she continued doing this?

That's a good question. However, There is no study or facts that is proven to show any kind of soreness for a kid at that age being 8 years old continuing it.

I don't think it would be irrelevant but then, who knows?

As for 8 years old kid to continue breastfeeding - IMO, I think that is kind of a little bit extreme. I've breastfed my son until he was 1 year old and weaned him off from it. I have to also wonder, the older the kid continues to be breast fed, would that also affect the teeth to be shaped out, otherwise?

Some been told that have breastfeeding help the mother to lose her some weight.

Fact, Eskimos gave breastfeed for 7 years. So, why not?

It helps the uterus to contract, so that the belly left from the pregnancy goes away quicker. Weight loss only happens if the mother is loosing more claories through breastfeeding than she is taking in. In that case, she is putting her own health at risk.

That's a good question. However, There is no study or facts that is proven to show any kind of soreness for a kid at that age being 8 years old continuing it.

I don't think it would be irrelevant but then, who knows?

As for 8 years old kid to continue breastfeeding - IMO, I think that is kind of a little bit extreme. I've breastfed my son until he was 1 year old and weaned him off from it. I have to also wonder, the older the kid continues to be breast fed, would that also affect the teeth to be shaped out, otherwise?

Yes, it would. It is the sucking motion that causes the teeth to protrude from the pressure. That is why it is recommended that children not take a bottle, breastfeed, take a pacifier, or suck their thumb past a certain age.

It helps the uterus to contract, so that the belly left from the pregnancy goes away quicker. Weight loss only happens if the mother is loosing more claories through breastfeeding than she is taking in. In that case, she is putting her own health at risk.

Such would have been the case if Mom had nursed my sister and I. She was anorexic in her teens and 20s, so anybody with any intelligence at all would have recommended she bottle feed, which she did, anyway. I was born at 4ibs 11oz. My sister, who was born 3.5 years later, was barely 5ibs. We were tiny by today's standards. But, we thrived and gained weight on formula.

I am NOT saying that breast feeding is bad, but there are situations in which bottle feeding is better for the baby, and why should a woman be vilified for bottle feeding her child. It's offensive and wrong!

Honestly, I think that's just plain disgusting! I mean breastfeeding is good for infants and toddlers, but certinally not an 8 year old!

Yes, it would. It is the sucking motion that causes the teeth to protrude from the pressure. That is why it is recommended that children not take a bottle, breastfeed, take a pacifier, or suck their thumb past a certain age.

That is what I thought. Also, not only that, It can and will be corroded if it were to continue past a certain age as well.

There is no correlation between breastfeeding and intelligence.

Breastfeeding Associated With Increased Intelligence, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (May 6, 2008) — The largest randomized study of breastfeeding ever conducted reports that breastfeeding raises children's IQs and improves their academic performance, a McGill researcher and his team have found.
See also:
Health & Medicine

* Infant's Health
* Children's Health
* Psychology Research

Mind & Brain

* Child Development
* Intelligence
* Child Psychology

Reference

* Maternal bond
* Colostrum
* Baby colic
* Infant

In a new article, Dr. Michael Kramer reports the results from following the same group of 14,000 children for 6.5 years.

"Our study provides the strongest evidence to date that prolonged and exclusive breastfeeding makes kids smarter," said Kramer, a Professor of Pediatrics and of Epidemiology & Biostatistics in the McGill University Faculty of Medicine and lead investigator in the study.

Kramer and his colleagues evaluated the children in 31 Belarusian hospitals and clinics. Half the mothers were exposed to an intervention that encouraged prolonged and exclusive breastfeeding. The remaining half continued their usual maternity hospital and outpatient pediatric care and follow-up. This allowed the researchers to measure the effect of breastfeeding on the children's cognitive development without the results being biased by differences in factors such as the mother's intelligence or her way of interacting with her baby.

The children's cognitive ability was assessed by IQ tests administered by the children's pediatricians and by their teachers' ratings of their academic performance in reading, writing, mathematics and other subjects. Both sets of measures were significantly higher in the group randomized to the breastfeeding promotion intervention.

"Although breastfeeding initiation rates have increased substantially during the last 30 years, much less progress has been achieved in increasing the exclusivity and duration of breastfeeding," the authors conclude.

"The effect of breastfeeding on brain development and intelligence has long been a popular and hotly debated topic," says Dr. Kramer. "While most studies have been based on association, however, we can now make a causal inference between breastfeeding and intelligence -- because of the randomized design of our study."

Journal reference: Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008;65[5]:578-584

I don't have a problem with breastfeeding.

Just don't "plop it out" in front of me when you are going to do it!

No not at all. After all we drink the milk from a differant species well into adult hood so a child of 8 drinking human milk doesn't bother me at all.

We don't suck directly from the cow's teat. A mother nursing her 8 year old child definitely does have issues herself. Whether it's separation anxiety or letting go.. the mother needs to realise she's disabling her child's independence/emotional growth by prolonging the weaning process by a good 7 years.

We don't suck directly from the cow's teat. A mother nursing her 8 year old child definitely does have issues herself. Whether it's separation anxiety or letting go.. the mother needs to realise she's disabling her child's independence/emotional growth by prolonging the weaning process by a good 7 years.

:gpost: I agree with you! This is just bizarre.

Why do you think it is okay for a 8 year old kid to continue breast-feeding?

Because Breast milk is good for you. If the child wants to carry on breast feeding then why not? Sure it's UNUSUAL for an 8 year old to want to breast feed but I can't see why it would be unhealthy. It's far more unhealthy to deprive a baby of breast milk just because it is not convenient.

It's not as if anybody is doing any harm. Believe me if it was at all abusive the child would want to stop doing it.

Because Breast milk is good for you. If the child wants to carry on breast feeding then why not? Sure it's UNUSUAL for an 8 year old to want to breast feed but I can't see why it would be unhealthy. It's far more unhealthy to deprive a baby of breast milk just because it is not convenient.

It's not as if anybody is doing any harm. Believe me if it was at all abusive the child would want to stop doing it.

not NUTRITIONALLY unhealthy but I think this is MENTALLY unhealthy. It retards the mental development but I'm no expert. :dunno:

Back