break-ins and gun ownership

August

Reaction score
i just found out today that my home was almost broken into within the last few days. the window in my storage room was open about ten inches and the piece of wood that was supposed to prevent the window from opening was violently jammed up into the window frame, so it's now stuck.

there are two possible reasons why the break-in never occurred. one is that the window is too wide for all but little kids and super-skinny people to pass through, and the other is that a bookcase was pushed against the window, making it harder still to fit through the opening.

my mom's big plan to prevent this from happening again is to put in some motion-activated lights. i, for one, don't want to rest my life on a couple of floodlights. i'm lobbying for her to let me bring my gun, now being stored elsewhere, into the home. we don't have a safe yet, but there are no children in the house and plenty of places to conceal a gun.

has anyone had their home broken into before?

and what do yall think? is having a gun in the home a good idea to defend myself, or should i not have it and leave myself at the mercy of a bunch of ruthless, murdering, rapist gobshites?

i just found out today that my home was almost broken into within the last few days. the window in my storage room was open about ten inches and the piece of wood that was supposed to prevent the window from opening was violently jammed up into the window frame, so it's now stuck.

there are two possible reasons why the break-in never occurred. one is that the window is too wide for all but little kids and super-skinny people to pass through, and the other is that a bookcase was pushed against the window, making it harder still to fit through the opening.

my mom's big plan to prevent this from happening again is to put in some motion-activated lights. i, for one, don't want to rest my life on a couple of floodlights. i'm lobbying for her to let me bring my gun, now being stored elsewhere, into the home. we don't have a safe yet, but there are no children in the house and plenty of places to conceal a gun.

has anyone had their home broken into before?

and what do yall think? is having a gun in the home a good idea to defend myself, or should i not have it and leave myself at the mercy of a bunch of ruthless, murdering, rapist gobshites?

nothing wrong with motion-activated lights. it's the most simplest, effective deterrent you can buy. 2 major drawback for guns - nobody robs a house with people inside. an empty house gets robbed and there is a chance that your gun can be stolen. Your foremost and first priority is to bolster your defense. No need to add in offense like gun because most of time - robber's intention is to rob, not hurt anyone or kill anyone. Your job is to prevent him from getting in and obviously he will give up if he can't get in. He's certainly not going to spend a long time to figure out how to get in. 5 min is what he needs to get in unless you live in a secluded area.

Some examples:
1. remove objects from outside that makes it easier for robber to get in such as a brick to break window, box to step on, etc. (some people actually leave ladder in backyard)
2. inspect and secure your points of entrance - like using that wooden block to prevent windows from opening, install deadbolts on all of your outside doors, etc.
3. get a German Shepherd? lol
4. As Sun Tzu said - all warfare are based on deception. Plaster the security/warning sticker like "INTRUDERS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT :rifle:" or "PROTECTED BY ADT SECURITY SYSTEM" and put the fake security devices on windows.
5. if you live in a neighborhood where there is worrisome amount of robbery, then invest in having a security system. it's a small price to pay but better than paying to replace lost goods.
6. it makes sense to have an armed household if you live in a dangerous neighborhood but not in a quiet suburb area.

url

I don't know where you live but from where I am, NY-NJ are stupid liberal states when it comes to home self-defense. I will be liable to lawsuit by robber if I shot him on my property as self-defense.

:Ohno:
30mpg6p.jpg

Nope, never had mine broken-in before. My step-father did have his rental house broken in. All they did take were his police scanners - there were expensive electronics in the house that they didn't bother to take.

Seriously, I don't believe motion-activated lights would do any good - keep people at bay. People have learnt to ignore that.

I don't know what your political stance is. I don't see why you can't have any weapon in your household for protection. A dog would help.

I think motion lights are a good deterrent,we have them both front and back. I read that if you keep a gun there is a fair chance someone who breaks in might take it from you and use it on you.

I don't know where you live but from where I am, NY-NJ are stupid liberal states when it comes to home self-defense. I will be liable to lawsuit by robber if I shot him on my property as self-defense.

my step-dad shared something with me he learned long ago. if someone breaks into your home but does it without leaving any evidence of a break-in, i.e. if you accidentally left a door unlocked or a window open, just kill them, break a window somewhere and voila! problem solved. they've "broken and entered" and they can't sue. :rofl:

nobody robs a house with people inside
for one, you wrote a contradiction. burglary is theft of property where the property owner is absent. robbery is theft of property on the person or when the person is present. so there's only one way to "rob" a house - when people are inside. second, i'm certain you're wrong. you're telling me no one has ever robbed a home? you've never heard of people getting robbed and/or killed in their home? what about when burglars break into a home and find that people are home when they didn't expect it?

I don't know what your political stance is. I don't see why you can't have any weapon in your household for protection. A dog would help.
i'm liberal enough to make Charlton Heston's ghost throw up, but boy do i love guns.

I think motion lights are a good deterrent,we have them both front and back. I read that if you keep a gun there is a fair chance someone who breaks in might take it from you and use it on you.

haha

only if you're stupid enough to hand over your gun to a thief.

my step-dad shared something with me he learned long ago. if someone breaks into your home but does it without leaving any evidence of a break-in, i.e. if you accidentally left a door unlocked or a window open, just kill them, break a window somewhere and voila! problem solved. they've "broken and entered" and they can't sue. :rofl:
ha ha ha I salute to that. I gotta move to state where I can shoot the intruders JUST CUZ. Can I ask what state are you from? I'm from NJ aka faggy/douchebag state (not in the context of homosexual thing but you know what I mean).

for one, you wrote a contradiction. burglary is theft of property where the property owner is absent. robbery is theft of property on the person or when the person is present. so there's only one way to "rob" a house - when people are inside. second, i'm certain you're wrong. you're telling me no one has ever robbed a home? you've never heard of people getting robbed and/or killed in their home? what about when burglars break into a home and find that people are home when they didn't expect it?
ah.... very interesting definition of robbery and burglary. Thanks for clarification! I was referring to your case where it is very unlikely of you and your family to be hurt or killed by a robber/burglar unless you live in a ghetto area like Camden/Newark. And yes it does happen when burglars break in and then both of you are :eek3: like a deer in headlights but isn't that too late already to get the gun? You'd have to run to get your gun from the safe box and I don't think robber/burglar is gonna let you do that so that means you have to be wearing gun on you 24/7. It's better to build a fortress with Great Wall of China than to be heavily armed with crappy defense.

The Southern states especially, Texas and Florida, are legal to kill a invader whenever they touch or enter the owner's property, house, and apartment.

The Southern states especially, Texas and Florida, are legal to kill a invader whenever they touch or enter the owner's property, house, and apartment.

Yup - They passed the law called "STAND YOUR GROUND" aka Castle Doctrine. Not just property but also in your car

August, if you know how and when to use a gun on another person, by all means get one. I hear a snake charmer is pretty effective for indoor situations. That's a sawed off (stores used to sell them....dunno about now) 410 guage shotgun. Effective and danged loud! You most probably won't kill anyone with it unless you're pretty close. I hope Reba can chime in here as she knows about this stuff. These snake charmers are used on rattlers out here (West) and are single shot weapons. It wouldn't take all that much practice for you to be quick to load a second shell into the gun if need be.

August, if you know how and when to use a gun on another person, by all means get one. I hear a snake charmer is pretty effective for indoor situations. That's a sawed off (stores used to sell them....dunno about now) 410 guage shotgun. Effective and danged loud! You most probably won't kill anyone with it unless you're pretty close. I hope Reba can chime in here as she knows about this stuff. These snake charmers are used on rattlers out here (West) and are single shot weapons. It wouldn't take all that much practice for you to be quick to load a second shell into the gun if need be.

:hmm:

i've never heard of these "snake charmers"

*takes notes*

i'm pretty sure they're illegal in CA. we have pretty strict laws about guns in general. shotty barrels have to be pretty long and sawed-offs are illegal. we even have to put a plug in the magazine to limit it to 3 shells.

:bsflag:

wtf difference does it make if it holds 3 shells or 5?

though if i were to keep the gun in the house i would use those short shells that don't penetrate walls.

:hmm:

i've never heard of these "snake charmers"

*takes notes*

i'm pretty sure they're illegal in CA. we have pretty strict laws about guns in general. shotty barrels have to be pretty long and sawed-offs are illegal. we even have to put a plug in the magazine to limit it to 3 shells.

:bsflag:

wtf difference does it make if it holds 3 shells or 5?

though if i were to keep the gun in the house i would use those short shells that don't penetrate walls.

I thought the three shell dealie was just for ducks.

I thought the three shell dealie was just for ducks.

it's state law for everyone except law enforcement.

doesn't matter what you're shooting at.

also, it's been a couple years since i've been shooting, but apparently we're no longer allowed to shoot lead bullets.

well

we've put padlocks on the two fences on each side of the house and put a sturdy window-blocker in that window. tomorrow we're installing two more motion-sensor lights and alarms on the windows.

but i still want my FUCKING REMINGTON 870 GOD DAMMIT!

well

we've put padlocks on the two fences on each side of the house and put a sturdy window-blocker in that window. tomorrow we're installing two more motion-sensor lights and alarms on the windows.

but i still want my FUCKING REMINGTON 870 GOD DAMMIT!

Hey, now, that's the shotgun I also have; it's a 16 guage and, although it is at least 40 years old, it still looks like new. Been Remington's flagship gun, hasn't it?

How come you can't get possession of your own gun?

Hey, now, that's the shotgun I also have; it's a 16 guage and, although it is at least 40 years old, it still looks like new. Been Remington's flagship gun, hasn't it?

I'm guessing August lives in California. That state is very mean... it bans quite a handful of guns. My gun (Springfield XD Tactical Model 5 9mm) is even banned in that state! :confused:

the 870 is a classic alright. it's sleek. it's sexy. it's sturdy. it's ready to be engraved, oiled and mounted for display.

(i feel like this turned into a Remington ad)

my mom has been in a relationship with a Texan gun nut for 16 years. he has literally about 50 guns. he even has at least one full-auto Uzi that i know about and God knows how many other illegal, automatic assault weapons that he hasn't registered. but she absolutely refuses to allow a gun in her house. i'll take "hypocrites" for $500, Alex!

right now my gun is sitting in his safe. i'm worried about this. the last time he wanted to open his safe, he couldn't remember the combination for a week. and he probably has 4 or 5 other 12 gauge Remington 870's so i don't know if i'll even be able to tell which is mine when i do take it back.

Well, obviously your mother is pulling the "it's my house, and under my roof" rank- which is her right.

Personally, I would get a gun...and may God have mercy on the dumbass who try to break in my house. Don't worry about if the gun has three bullets instead of five, because honey...one bullet is all I need.

Well, obviously your mother is pulling the "it's my house, and under my roof" rank- which is her right.

Personally, I would get a gun...and may God have mercy on the dumbass who try to break in my house. Don't worry about if the gun has three bullets instead of five, because honey...one bullet is all I need.
:gpost: :smoking: As the Gangsta Johnny said in HOME ALONE - "Keep the change, you filthy animal!" <spraying Tommy Gun>

Back