Brand question?!

rofliam

Reaction score
Hi, hope youre all well, if anyone could help me with this question that would be great!

Does each brand (cochlear, advanced bionics, med el) perform better for different people? I was not informed about anything like this with 3 different hospitals but the hospital that might do my cochlear surgery has said im best getting med el cos of the damage in my ear which has made me deaf after an accident last year. I was opting towards Advanced bionics so when i asked why med el the only reason they gave me was that they can run a test with med el to see if it will work for me? But i have to receive a cochlear either way and if it doesnt work then surely no brand will work so that doesnt make sense to me. Also i noticed they only had med el brand posters everywhere so im assuming they are in partnership with them?

Please let me know if you know whether certain brand are best for certain types of deafness or whether you know any1 who has had a similar experience? As the other hospitals i went to said all brands perform basically the same and will all be good for me? So i dont want to opt in to med el if the only reason is the doctors there prefers med el as this is my decision.

Thanks for any help i really appreciate it!!

I replied to your question in the other forum.

No clinic should "push" a brand. They are supposed to give us information about all 3 brands and we are to do our own research.
Here's a website that might help you.
cochlearimplanthelp.com

Hi, hope youre all well, if anyone could help me with this question that would be great!

Does each brand (cochlear, advanced bionics, med el) perform better for different people? I was not informed about anything like this with 3 different hospitals but the hospital that might do my cochlear surgery has said im best getting med el cos of the damage in my ear which has made me deaf after an accident last year. I was opting towards Advanced bionics so when i asked why med el the only reason they gave me was that they can run a test with med el to see if it will work for me? But i have to receive a cochlear either way and if it doesnt work then surely no brand will work so that doesnt make sense to me. Also i noticed they only had med el brand posters everywhere so im assuming they are in partnership with them?

Please let me know if you know whether certain brand are best for certain types of deafness or whether you know any1 who has had a similar experience? As the other hospitals i went to said all brands perform basically the same and will all be good for me? So i dont want to opt in to med el if the only reason is the doctors there prefers med el as this is my decision.

Thanks for any help i really appreciate it!!
I haven't been on here for a while so just saw your post. Did you get your implant and if so what did you choose, if I may ask? My left ear was implanted at the University of Chicago Hospital last September. I, too, had the three choices and I chose Advance Bionics and thus far, I am very happy with it. They gave me all of the reading material on those three brands and let me make the decision. If you've been implanted I hope it is going well for you.

Back