Born Deaf or has severe/profound only: Who does not wear hearing aids?

katz4life

Reaction score
Who is here as AD member that has severe to profound hearing loss near whole of the lives or born Deaf does not wear hearing aids or CI?

If not, when was the last time you had wore your hearings aids before giving it up?

The last time I had my hearing aids on was in 2003. I am getting a new digital hearing aids tomorrow for the first time in almost 10 years. It may be going to freak me out, lol. Headaches? Dizzy? I hope not. My boss at work is a fuzzy asshole man with all seriousness.

I've not wore one since I was in 5th grade. That was many years ago. Now 34 years old.....

Who is here as AD member that has severe to profound hearing loss near whole of the lives or born Deaf does not wear hearing aids or CI?

If not, when was the last time you had wore your hearings aids before giving it up?

The last time I had my hearing aids on was in 2003. I am getting a new digital hearing aids tomorrow for the first time in almost 10 years. It may be going to freak me out, lol. Headaches? Dizzy? I hope not. My boss at work is a fuzzy asshole man with all seriousness.

I wore body hearing aids when i was kid (from1967 to 1973/1974) and then later little older wore BTE hearing aids until i graduated from H.S. (from 1974/1975 to 1984) and then took them off for so long time before i wore them again in around 90's that's when i got severe headaches and dizzy... FORGET them!!! LOLZ

The last time i wore a body hearing aid with two wires that Vocational Rehabilitation gave me around mid 90's (it was short time wearing) before i gave those back to audiology and told them to give the man who needs those so badly (that was my donation). It gave me headache and dizzy same time... No thanks!!!! Same with BTE hearing aids - still headaches and dizzy. Never wore them ever since then (mid 90's).

Find a good audiologist

I'm 58, female and discovered my hearing loss at 18. At 22, I got one hearing aid, BTE, even if i needed two. It was pricey! Over the years, I've tried different hearing aids. I grew up in Asia, where being HOH is doubly difficult.

My advice: look for a reliable audiologist. Some will try to sell you the most expensive. Do research too on the latest HA that will meet your needs.

What hearing aids?

Seriously, yes I am down DEAD Deaf since I said hi to the world. Last time I wore maybe 5th grade. I really don't care about it because I don't see much benefit from wearing aids. Know why? Its like a blind guy that never saw various colors in their sight. How could he understand the color? Same here, with sound it is just a black and white format. Whats point trying to figure out if I can't hear the "Color" of the sounds.

Born with mild loss, aided at age 7 in one ear. Not aided at all from ages 10-38. Hearing loss progressed to severe/profound and got 2 aids at 38, lost them to accident at age 41. At 42, went total deaf and do not have HA's or CI's.

I have not used hearing aids since I quit wearing them around 1990s. I even told my parents that I don't need them anymore due to giving me some headaches. I feel much better without it.

I wore body hearing aids when i was kid (from1967 to 1973/1974) and then later little older wore BTE hearing aids until i graduated from H.S. (from 1974/1975 to 1984) and then took them off for so long time before i wore them again in around 90's that's when i got severe headaches and dizzy... FORGET them!!! LOLZ

The last time i wore a body hearing aid with two wires that Vocational Rehabilitation gave me around mid 90's (it was short time wearing) before i gave those back to audiology and told them to give the man who needs those so badly (that was my donation). It gave me headache and dizzy same time... No thanks!!!! Same with BTE hearing aids - still headaches and dizzy. Never wore them ever since then (mid 90's).

They're called phonic ears...I used to wear them when I was in elementary school back in early 80s.

I need my bte hearing aid b/c I cant function without it..Im severe and profound deaf. I need to hear noise and sound just to stay sane.

EDIT: I've been wearin bte hearing aid since I was born..know what I mean??

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I was born with profund +120db HL on my right - I've never used an HA on that side.

As an adult I got a HA for my left side (hoh) but don't wear it all the time (I made the mistake of getting talked into an entry level Phonak as my first HA because we didn't think I'd like it ... I should have spent the extra $500 and got the good HA :(

Hi all,
I was born with severe hearing loss. Just slightly more on the HoH category than deaf, according to clinical measurements (80-85db range). I wore HAs in elementary school, but they did not help at all, so ditched them shortly after 6th grade and never went back...until 2 years ago at age 30. While the new aids do help hearing high frequencies, they are not offering much else. And I spent about 7k for them (insurance paid about 2k)!

Frankly, I don't think they are helping me other than with hearing sounds like cell phones. They do help distinguish speech a little bit, but the tradeoff in price is not there. So, I've begun to ditch them too....my voice sounds weird with them on and a lot of times my face feels "plugged up" , so it makes me uncomfortable during public speaking, etc.

Sadly, HA technology is not here yet. I think it's better to accept the fact that I am "deaf" and not try so much to be "normal".

Back