Books on Deaf Culture etc - recommendations

Anij

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this but...

I thought it would be valuable to make a list of important books relating to Deaf Culture, Community, Language etc.

Really, there are many GREAT books, two of my favorites though are actually written by hearing people, with a lot of Deaf input, they are:

A Loss for Words by Lou Ann Walker
and
Reading Between the Signs by Anna Mindess

Really, there are tons of great books by both Deaf authors as well, those are just two that come to mind that talk about dynamics between Deaf and hearing people which is what I am very interested in...other good books are
A Deaf Adult Speaks Out (old, but good with basic deaf culture) and...wow countless others...but this can get you started.

Being new to the language I have not read the posted publications. But I will review them all in time. Thank you for the recommendations. :)

I have forgotten about this thread Anij. Too bad it only has a few posts. :(

Deaf Heritage by Jack Gannon, for all your deaf heritage needs. :) They're not printing Deaf Heritage anymore I don't think, but you can find them from various sellers on Amazon.com (marketplace sellers) or on eBay. I bought my copy on eBay.

There's also Through Deaf Eyes, which is not only a PBS documentary, but also a book as well. Both can be purchased either from pbs.org or Amazon.

Both are mostly historical books, but there's a lot on deaf culture and ASL and whatnot.

Those are the only 2 I can think of right now.

thanks for adding cdmeggers (nice to see you around ... I know you from HE)

I'm hoping a number of people will add their recommendations !!
(instead of me just making one huggge list all by myself)

One book I read a long time ago which I think is OoP right now is
"What's that Pig Outdoors" - it was an interesting, and different perspective!

Back