Book - For Hearing People Only

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It might be an interesting read, but depending on who it was written by, and what's in it, I may or may not like it.

That book has become my "bathroom book", I read a chapter whenever I make an ... ahem.. "deposit". It's interesting. I've learned a few things.

I'm only maybe 1/3 through. It's a very thick book.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It might be an interesting read, but depending on who it was written by, and what's in it, I may or may not like it.
The website that I linked tells you who it was written for and shows some examples of questions/answers. It says it was written by Deaf people for both the hearing (to learn about Deaf culture, etc) and the deaf (to help explain to hearies about the Deaf culture).

its one of my required texts for my ASL class. hah. my teacher assigns a lot of readings from it, its not bad. pretty informative.

I'm taking my first ASL class next week (at the local school for the deaf) and am wondering if they'll assign it or at least suggest it.

For Hearing People is a good start. I would also recommend Journey into the Deaf World as it gives not just cultural information, but the history behind the way it has developed as it has.

For personal stories by deaf / hoh life experiences On the Fence is good (have it in my library and it contains a selection by a member of this forum), or something like Dancing Alone.

I've many more I could list, but don't want to overwhelm.:P

There is a chapter in the book: A journey into the DEAF-WORLD. Lane,Hoffmeister & Bahan which makes for "interesting reading". Chapter 14-The Hearing Agenda 11"Eradicating the DEAF-WORLD.

The BOOK was published in 1996. True?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Love Blue, are you one of those people who go whole hog into stuff and read books and stuff? I remember when I started into the whole ASL and Deaf culture thing, I started building a Deaf culture library. You might want to get this book....it's a hoh Deaf culture book: On the Fence: The Hidden World of the Hard of Hearing by Mark Drolsbaugh Harris Communications - Vibrating Alarm Clocks, Loud Telephones and Signalers

I actually just got that book from a friend, will probably start reading it this weekend!

Love Blue, are you one of those people who go whole hog into stuff and read books and stuff?
No, not really. I do like to do some research. I just happened to come across that book when I was looking up the text book/dvd we'll be usig in the ASL class (I think it's VISTA Natual Speaking).

DrPhil, maybe you should get the For Hearing People book...if you can take the time to get your nose out of Chapter 14 of your favorite deaf book. But I doubt you're really interested in learning about Deaf Culture, which does exist, based on your posts on other forums/threads. :(

Ostensible there is something called " Hearing culture" which apparently encompasses "hearing persons". Is this world-wide?

How does the person who become bilaterally deaf shift to "deaf culture "- learn ASL? Does getting an Implant have any effect on this transition?

Ostensible there is something called " Hearing culture" which apparently encompasses "hearing persons". Is this world-wide?

How does the person who become bilaterally deaf shift to "deaf culture "- learn ASL? Does getting an Implant have any effect on this transition?

THe implant will have no effect.

Click your heels three times and say "I want to go home" , then sign up for ASL classes.

Find JennyB for coffee and she will help you.

It is very possible for you.

How does the person who become bilaterally deaf shift to "deaf culture "- learn ASL?

By wanting to belong to the Deaf Culture. By going to Deaf meet ups/events/etc and meeting the Deaf. By accepting Deaf Culture. As others have said, immersion in Deaf Culture.

That being said, I have not done any of these (except accept that Deaf Culture exists and respect them). I am not "ready" to do any of these things. I am going to try to learn ASL and with that perhaps I will venture out and meet others.

I am not one who is comfortable going places where I don't know at least one other person...that is my personality and has nothing to do with my hearing or lack of hearing.

It really isn't about how much loss someone has. There are many hoh kids/teens who are very into ASL and stuff. Heck there are hearing people who use ASL (not just handful of signs) as a first language due to things like apraxia or tracheostomies or CP.
That being said, I have not done any of these (except accept that Deaf Culture exists and respect them). I am not "ready" to do any of these things. I am going to try to learn ASL and with that perhaps I will venture out and meet others.

I am not one who is comfortable going places where I don't know at least one other person...that is my personality and has nothing to do with my hearing or lack of hearing.
And that's understandable. It takes time....and you might not feel like you "fit in" But there are usually a lot of hoh folks there...ASL is very popular with hoh folks. It's not just voice off severe-profound deafies.

There is a chapter in the book: A journey into the DEAF-WORLD. Lane,Hoffmeister & Bahan which makes for "interesting reading". Chapter 14-The Hearing Agenda 11"Eradicating the DEAF-WORLD.

The BOOK was published in 1996. True?

Why do you keep yelling?

Was the book published in 1996? Check the cover.

If one chapter is all you read or found interesting, it explains quite a bit regarding your ignorance of the deaf world.

Are these questions for real?:eek3:

THe implant will have no effect.

Click your heels three times and say "I want to go home" , then sign up for ASL classes.

Find JennyB for coffee and she will help you.

It is very possible for you.

ILY, Bott.:lol:

Back