Book - For Hearing People Only

I don't think he's grasped the difference between being deaf (lower case d) and being Deaf (upper case D).

I am deaf but am aware of the Deaf. I just started an ASL class and will be learning more about the Deaf. That is why I was askng about this book.

Unfortunately, that (bolded part) is the case with a lot of things. Look at all the signs, warnings, etc because of this litigation happy society.

Do not use hair dryer in the shower.
Contents may be hot (fresh cup of coffee).
etc.
:roll:

:) Well that is true, however, that book isn't technically supposed to be for deaf people. So, as a deaf person reading that book, some things are more obvious to us than to hearing people.

Is this book a reflection of the "cultural deaf community" beliefs-today? Cochlear Implants are "instruments of genocide"-only to babies? Adults?
There are still people who are anti CI yes, but the CI has become a lot more accepted in Deaf culture. The kids who were kids then and implanted are now adults, and many of them ID as Deaf.
But you still have the mind/attitude of a hearie and don't seem to want to learn about deaf culture.
Love Blue are we recruiting you already? ;)

Love Blue, I was where you are about a year ago. Take your time. :wave:

Jillio: the text book was written in 1980 not 1950. I took the course in 1985 at Centennial College and passed with a "B". I acknowledge I haven't taken: Neurology/Anthropology nor linguistics to "study deaf culture". Unaware of this.

Since becoming bilaterally deaf in 2006- I guess I am no longer a "valid member of the hearing culture". Not sure if I am now a member of "implant culture"? Never heard of this yet. No mention of this by Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section either. Surprised that even Advanced Bionics hasn't sent any info on this! Not even mentioned in their latest User guide. Must be secret!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Still outdated. You are a member of hearing culture because you choose to be a member of hearing culture. Implant culture has both those who belong to Deaf Culture and those that belong to the mainstream, hearing culture.

AB does not have any info on the cultural differences. They operate from a strict medical, pathological perspective.

I don't think he's grasped the difference between being deaf (lower case d) and being Deaf (upper case D).

I am deaf but am aware of the Deaf. I just started an ASL class and will be learning more about the Deaf. That is why I was askng about this book.

You're awareness of the differences puts you leaps and bounds ahead of drphil. Your desire to learn and understand also puts you leaps and bounds ahead. Just keep working at learning and understanding. Before you know it, you will begin to identify with the things you are learning.

Jillio:Your last line #36-"Hearing culture is only valid for the hearing". What happened on December 21, 2006-the day AFTER I became bilaterally deaf? Member of what-non "ASL cultural Deaf"/non hearing- what culture?

Oddly enough- none of this was mentioned at Sunnybrook/Toronto re;culture

Really quiet-silence till activated.

Odd that my "clinical view of my deafness" ISN'T based on my real experience of silence. Already crossed 4 years.
What is "non clinical" deafness? Right- just hallucinations which supposedly would be miraculously fixed by learning ASL. Interesting hypothesis-to say the least.
At CHS/Toronto there is a section on the 4 th floor-Deaf/deaf.It has been there for years- I understand. I really don't need someone to use ASL and be interpreted to me what Harlan Lane et al have written re "cultural deaf/Deaf". I can read. I understand that is what "many people" do to deal with their Hearing loss/deafness-shift to reading rather hearing.

Last edited:
Bottesini: the "deaf/cultural" world seems to "exist" for me- only here in Alldeaf.com.

Seriously?? COME ON! You live in T.O. for heaven sakes ... there's a HUGE Deaf (capital D) community in T.O.!
If you want to see "Deaf Culture" existing - step out of your own little world and ATTEND some of the Deaf Events (you could even take an ASL/English interpreter with you, so you could understand what was being said since you're ASL impaired).

If you actaully ASKED CHS about ASL classes & ASL events, Deaf Culture, Deaf events etc they would be more than happy to give you information on related to ASL, Culture, Community, etc.

The fact that you haven't ASKED CHS or other places about Deaf Culture, the difference between "deaf" and "Deaf" etc and instead have elected to intentionally remain ignorant on the subject does not mean that there's no "Real Deaf Culture" out there, or a "Real Deaf Community"... it's an indication that YOU haven't looked into it with any level of seriousness because you are aurally focused and see no value in learning any other valid reality than your clinical LACK of hearing view of yourself AND others.

Seriously?? COME ON! You live in T.O. for heaven sakes ... there's a HUGE Deaf (capital D) community in T.O.!
If you want to see "Deaf Culture" existing - step out of your own little world and ATTEND some of the Deaf Events (you could even take an ASL/English interpreter with you, so you could understand what was being said since you're ASL impaired).

If you actaully ASKED CHS about ASL classes & ASL events, Deaf Culture, Deaf events etc they would be more than happy to give you information on related to ASL, Culture, Community, etc.

The fact that you haven't ASKED CHS or other places about Deaf Culture, the difference between "deaf" and "Deaf" etc and instead have elected to intentionally remain ignorant on the subject does not mean that there's no "Real Deaf Culture" out there, or a "Real Deaf Community"... it's an indication that YOU haven't looked into it with any level of seriousness because you are aurally focused and see no value in learning any other valid reality than your clinical LACK of hearing view of yourself AND others.
:gpost:

CANADIAN CULTURAL SOCIETY OF THE DEAF
The Distillery Historic District
55 Mill Street, Building 5, Suite 101
Toronto, Ontario M5A 3C4

response in due course.

Implanted Advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

Jillio:Your last line #36-"Hearing culture is only valid for the hearing". What happened on December 21, 2006-the day AFTER I became bilaterally deaf? Member of what-non "ASL cultural Deaf"/non hearing- what culture?

Oddly enough- none of this was mentioned at Sunnybrook/Toronto re;culture

Really quiet-silence till activated.

Odd that my "clinical view of my deafness" ISN'T based on my real experience of silence. Already crossed 4 years.
What is "non clinical" deafness? Right- just hallucinations which supposedly would be miraculously fixed by learning ASL. Interesting hypothesis-to say the least.
At CHS/Toronto there is a section on the 4 th floor-Deaf/deaf.It has been there for years- I understand. I really don't need someone to use ASL and be interpreted to me what Harlan Lane et al have written re "cultural deaf/Deaf". I can read. I understand that is what "many people" do to deal with their Hearing loss/deafness-shift to reading rather hearing.

Dude, you inability to see any farther than the surface is amazing. As it has been stated numerous times, if you don't feel a need to be a part of the Deaf Culture, then simply ignore it's existence.

Deafness goes farther than not hearing, and hearing goes farther than the ability to perceive sound. I don't expect you to understand that, given your demonstrated inability to comprehend cultural implications, however.

As it has been stated numerous times, if you don't feel a need to be a part of the Deaf Culture, then simply ignore it's existence.

Deafness goes farther than not hearing
Exactly! Many if not most "dhh due to aging" folks do not feel a need to be a part of Deaf culture. Nothing wrong with that. Even some dhh as kids folks do not identify with Deaf culture and ASL.

Back