Book - For Hearing People Only

Bottesini: I was in ASL Introduction - a few years ago. As for heel clicking-no comment.

Still waiting to find out how can one can be "non pathological physical deaf"? Do I have this "condition" vs audiological since becoming bilaterally deaf-December 20, 2006? Does it differ from silence which to me is real?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Bottesini: I was in ASL Introduction - a few years ago. As for heel clicking-no comment.

Still waiting to find out how can one can be "non pathological physical deaf"? Do I have this "condition" vs audiological since becoming bilaterally deaf-December 20, 2006? Does it differ from silence which to me is real?

Dr. Phil, if the world of the culturally deaf does not feel like home to you, it is ok.

It is not right for everybody. :)

I read more of the book. Some of the questions posed (and the corresponding answers) are roll-your-eyes obvious, some not so obvious (educational), and a few actually somewhat irritates me.

Interesting bathroom book nonetheless. :)

I read more of the book. Some of the questions posed (and the corresponding answers) are roll-your-eyes obvious, some not so obvious (educational), and a few actually somewhat irritates me.

Interesting bathroom book nonetheless. :)
Unfortunately, that (bolded part) is the case with a lot of things. Look at all the signs, warnings, etc because of this litigation happy society.

Do not use hair dryer in the shower.
Contents may be hot (fresh cup of coffee).
etc.
:roll:

Bottesini: the "deaf/cultural" world seems to "exist" for me- only here in Alldeaf.com. I understand from newspapers it exists in small groups in parts of the country re: uproar about whether "hearing parents" should "allow the implant operation" on their "deaf babies/children". Outside of that - it has some "theoretical" interest within the context of Sociology- section: culture. Is there something called "hearing" culture as well? IS it really the converse of "deaf culture"?

Oddly enough when I actually studied Sociology at long time ago-using a Canadian textbook;Hagedorn et al, HRW Toronto, 1980- none of this-"deaf culture" is mentioned.

Bottesini: the "deaf/cultural" world seems to "exist" for me- only here in Alldeaf.com. I understand from newspapers it exists in small groups in parts of the country re: uproar about whether "hearing parents" should "allow the implant operation" on their "deaf babies/children". Outside of that - it has some "theoretical" interest within the context of Sociology- section: culture. Is there something called "hearing" culture as well? IS it really the converse of "deaf culture"?

Oddly enough when I actually studied Sociology at long time ago-using a Canadian textbook;Hagedorn et al, HRW Toronto, 1980- none of this-"deaf culture" is mentioned.
Maybe you should get the book I was inquiring about...if you're truly interested in learning about deaf culture.

Welcome to For Hearing People Only.com

And why do you keep asking if there's a "hearing" culture as if a Deaf culture can't exist unless there's a "hearing" culture?

Jillio: the book was copyrighted in 1996 by the 3 authors which is normally publication date.

LoveBlue: The book that I keep referring to: a journey into the DEAF- WORLD is in my local library. It has either 15 or 16 chapters. Lots of information/hypotheses written.True? another matter! In Ch 14-a discussion whether deaf couples should be allowed to have children. Plus an extended discussion of whether hearing parents should be allowed to have their deaf babies implanted. This topic appears to have discussed here in Alldeaf.com. Not exactly boring reading-to say the least.
Is this book a reflection of the "cultural deaf community" beliefs-today? Cochlear Implants are "instruments of genocide"-only to babies? Adults?

Purely hypothetical discussion-of course except for the 3 authors who aren't members of Alldeaf.com.
It seems 'deaf culture" keeps referring back to "hearing culture". Why? Can it be a "way" of viewing our society- is this a valid perception- world wide?

I have been bilaterally deaf only 4 years now-not exactly a "hearie".

Dr. Phil, are you open visiting your local Deaf community? I get the impression that you aren't. Maybe change brings anxiety? Maybe that's where your hostility is coming from?

I assure you that Deaf culture exists. If you don't want to become part of it, that's fine.

Botti, Sally, Loveblue - yes, I agree with you all <since you got there first>:wave:

many people are worried about change, something new ...even if they don't know it.

there are many other books and materials too - Gallaudet Press offers many good selections!Gallaudet University Press

Change drags you kicking and screaming, whether you want to go or not. :P

But you still have the mind/attitude of a hearie and don't seem to want to learn about deaf culture.

And you seem to be fixated on the "genocide of the deaf". Are you afraid for your life because you're now deaf?

It has been explained to you numerous times. Evidently, you are choosing not to see the explanations. Fine with us. If you want to be considered defective and in need of medical intervention to become some semblance of whole, it is your choice. However, that does not mean that you also have the choice to belittle those who choose differently.

Unfortunately, that (bolded part) is the case with a lot of things. Look at all the signs, warnings, etc because of this litigation happy society.

Do not use hair dryer in the shower.
Contents may be hot (fresh cup of coffee).
etc.
:roll:

Right. And unless someone somewhere had made an incorrect assumption, it would not be necessary to state the "roll your eyes obvious."

Why would hearing culture have to be the exact opposite of hearing culture? That is a mistaken assumption. However, based on values and norms, not to mention linguistically, the deaf culture differs in numerous ways from the majority of the rest of society that base such on having a functioning auditory sense.

You are 70 years old. Great strides have been made across the board on cultural studies. You need to update your information in a serious way. Deaf culture is recognized in sociology, in linguisitics, in psychology, in neurology, and in anthroplogy. But you will need to read texts more up to date than 1950

Jillio: the book was copyrighted in 1996 by the 3 authors which is normally publication date.

LoveBlue: The book that I keep referring to: a journey into the DEAF- WORLD is in my local library. It has either 15 or 16 chapters. Lots of information/hypotheses written.True? another matter! In Ch 14-a discussion whether deaf couples should be allowed to have children. Plus an extended discussion of whether hearing parents should be allowed to have their deaf babies implanted. This topic appears to have discussed here in Alldeaf.com. Not exactly boring reading-to say the least.
Is this book a reflection of the "cultural deaf community" beliefs-today? Cochlear Implants are "instruments of genocide"-only to babies? Adults?

Purely hypothetical discussion-of course except for the 3 authors who aren't members of Alldeaf.com.
It seems 'deaf culture" keeps referring back to "hearing culture". Why? Can it be a "way" of viewing our society- is this a valid perception- world wide?

Hearing culture is only valid for the hearing.

Jillio: the text book was written in 1980 not 1950. I took the course in 1985 at Centennial College and passed with a "B". I acknowledge I haven't taken: Neurology/Anthropology nor linguistics to "study deaf culture". Unaware of this.

Since becoming bilaterally deaf in 2006- I guess I am no longer a "valid member of the hearing culture". Not sure if I am now a member of "implant culture"? Never heard of this yet. No mention of this by Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section either. Surprised that even Advanced Bionics hasn't sent any info on this! Not even mentioned in their latest User guide. Must be secret!

Jillio: the text book was written in 1980 not 1950. I took the course in 1985 at Centennial College and passed with a "B". I acknowledge I haven't taken: Neurology/Anthropology nor linguistics to "study deaf culture". Unaware of this.

Since becoming bilaterally deaf in 2006- I guess I am no longer a "valid member of the hearing culture". Not sure if I am now a member of "implant culture"? Never heard of this yet. No mention of this by Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section either. Surprised that even Advanced Bionics hasn't sent any info on this! Not even mentioned in their latest User guide. Must be secret!
:dunno:

You're YOU! You get to define who you are--nobody else. It's brilliant. If you don't feel comfortable with a certain group of people, move on and keep searching. There are people who will accept you for what you are. More people than you know.

Back