Bomb explosion and shooting in Norway

No one said they are immune to terrorism. But this is not an act of terrorism. This is a lone individual acting out of a deranged mental state.

I could argue that he wasn't a lone individual (and so could Scotland Yard), as well as argue that this was an act of terrorism as it was politically motivated. The Norwegian Government is calling it an act of domestic terrorism, and I think that description fits.

However, I agree that he was in a deranged mental state. How many "terrorists" are in the same deranged mental state?

oh? then I'm confused by your previous post.....

You asked if Norway should pass something like the Patriot Act, you did not ask if Norway should take terroristic acts more seriously (they should)

and I thought you said he was just a nutter? is he a terrorist or what? should we sit back and laugh or review their current stance on terrorism - whatever that means.

I am not sure what you mean here

exactly what is their "current stance" on terrorism?
They do not take it seriously
why would they have a stance on it since they haven't had a terrorist attack in several decades?

which is why they don't take it seriously. Now that it has happened, I am sure they will view it as a credible threat.

My personal opinion of the Patriot Act is that it is unconstitutional. Sure, it may have hindered terrorist attacks on US Soil and abroad, but should the right to freedom from interference in one's personal life be given up and relinquished to any governing body for "security"?

You know that saying by Jefferson as well as I do.

I could argue that he wasn't a lone individual (and so could Scotland Yard), as well as argue that this was an act of terrorism as it was politically motivated. The Norwegian Government is calling it an act of domestic terrorism, and I think that description fits.

However, I agree that he was in a deranged mental state. How many "terrorists" are in the same deranged mental state?

Then argue those points. I would like to see something to support your ideas that this wasn't the act of a lone perpetrator. Ot that it was politically motivated. Just because he has been quoted making statements against the Norwegian government does not mean that his attack was politically motivated.
You are not looking at motivation. That is what defines terrorism. And most terrorists, as I define them, are not psychotic. This individual was. Terroists are generally quite sane when making decisions and carrying out their acts of terrorism. They would not meet the definition of insanity.

Thanks to GW, people now see terrorists on every street corner and behind every act.

Then argue those points. I would like to see something to support your ideas that this wasn't the act of a lone perpetrator.

You are not looking at motivation. That is what defines terrorism. And most terrorists, as I define them, are not psychotic. This individual was. Terroists are generally quite sane when making decisions and carrying out their acts of terrorism. They would not meet the definition of insanity.

On the news today here that he was trying to start a religious war.

Right. But that was the intent of a deranged mind. If he were a terorist trying to start a religious war, he wouldn't have acted independently, but as a part of an organized group with the same purpose. The very fact that he thought he could start a religious war on his own, as an individual, speaks to the state of mind he was in.

He is liable to change his story more than once regarding his motivation. I doubt that we ever know completely, what was in his mind and what his intent was.

That's somewhat ironic, because isn't that something that an extreme Muslim would do? The very type of individual he hates?

(If it is indeed true in the first place.... people tend to make things more dramatic)

The news ought to be taken with more than a grain of salt, unfortunately.

Charles Manson was trying to start a race war, and he actually managed to convince people to follow his teaching and act on his behalf. Was he a terrorist?

That's somewhat ironic, because isn't that something that an extreme Muslim would do? The very type of individual he hates?

(If it is indeed true in the first place.... people tend to make things more dramatic)

Insane people rarely make sense. If his motive is coming from what he is actually saying, I would think that we would need to take his ramblings with a huge grain of salt.

Charles Manson was trying to start a race war, and he actually managed to convince people to follow his teaching and act on his behalf. Was he a terrorist?

Nope. Just another missionary. :roll:

I'm totally disgusted. I'm praying he doesn't just get put away. This guy killed so many people and I feel like he's almost getting away with it.

Anders Breivik: I did it to protect Norwegian culture

Anders Breivik is now appearing in court this past week and statements are coming out.

Norway Killer Defends Actions - WSJ.com

OSLO—Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik defended in court Tuesday his killing of 77 people in shooting and bombing attacks last year by saying they were preventive actions aimed at saving the Norwegian culture.

"I have completed the most sophisticated, spectacular and the most brutal political attack by any militant nationalist in Norway since World War II," Mr. Breivik told the court in its second day of proceedings, adding he would do it again if he could go back.

One of the lay judges in the trial against Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik has been replaced after it was revealed that he made a comment on the Internet saying the death penalty would be appropriate. Kjetil Malkenes Hovland reports.

Mr. Breivik pleaded not guilty Monday at the start of the 10-week trial, but admitted to the actions, claiming they were justified because he is fighting a supposed Muslim invasion of Europe and is defending himself, Norway and Europe against political organizations that support a multicultural society.

On July 22 last year, Mr. Breivik killed eight people with a car bomb in Oslo and 69 in a shooting spree at Utoya island, about 40 kilometers, or 25 miles, northwest of Oslo. Hundreds more were injured.

Earlier Tuesday, one of the lay judges—a member of the public not trained in law—was replaced by a deputy judge after it was revealed he made a comment on Facebook the day after the attack about the appropriate punishment for Mr. Breivik. "The death penalty is the only fair outcome in this case!!!!!!!!!!," lay judge Thomas Indrebo wrote on July 23 last year according to VG, one of Norway's biggest newspapers.

OB-SP706_4NORWA_D_20120417065322.jpg

Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Anders Behring Breivik, right, speaks with a member of his defense team in Oslo on Tuesday.

The death penalty doesn't exist in Norway. Instead, the 33-year-old Mr. Breivik faces 21 years of detention with the possibility of indefinite extension for as long as he is seen as a danger to society, or compulsory mental care, depending on whether he is deemed sane or insane.

Granted permission to read a 13-page statement to the court, Mr. Breivik said that in his view, a Marxist political elite has allowed too much immigration and has indoctrinated the media, suppressing the opinions of what he called "nationalists." "This tyranny is the real terrorism," he added.

The accused said that he represented the Norwegian and international anti-Communist, anti-Islamist resistance, and that he also spoke for a network called Knights Templar, which the prosecution has said is a figment of his imagination.

He claimed to be speaking on behalf of Norwegians, Scandinavians and Europeans who "don't want to lose their territorial rights." He also compared his attacks with the use of U.S. atomic bombs in Japan in 1945, and said Americans weren't evil, but tried to avoid more deaths by taking life.

"The 22/7 attacks were preventive actions to defend the Norwegian indigenous people and Norwegian culture, and I therefore cannot plead guilty," Mr. Breivik concluded.

The chief judge, Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen, interrupted Mr. Breivik on several occasions, urging him to tone down his rhetoric and finish his speech.

"I have only three pages left," said Mr. Breivik, who at one point threatened to withhold further explanation unless he was allowed to finish his speech. At one point, prosecutor Svein Holden asked the court to let Mr. Breivik finish his statement.

Mette Yvonne Larsen, a lawyer representing victim's families, said some of the next-of-kin were distressed by Mr. Breivik's statement. "Many think it is painful to hear him put the blame on the people who were killed and injured, and trying to make what happened their responsibility. He also encouraged further crimes, the way we understood it," Ms. Larsen said at a news conference after the trial.

Randi Johansen Perreau, who lost her 25-year-old son Rolf Christopher in the Utoya shootings said in an interview, "I think he got too much room to read this, and it's not usual in Norwegian courts." Her 14-year-old son survived the attack.

She said the worst part of Mr. Breivik's statement for her was that he said it was necessary to kill. "If this was a military action from a militant organization, it's strange to attack unarmed kids, most of them under 18 years of age," she said. Ms. Perreau said she refused to become angry with Mr. Breivik, even though he killed her son.

"He can't have my anger. Then I'll be in his world. He has taken enough from me by killing one of the dearest people in my life, and almost killed the other," she said. "He can't have my anger, it should be used more constructively, to build the democratic society that we want."

She added: "I hope that July 22 and what happened to us make us become less naïve. But I hope we don't lose the ability to do good—that this will prevail, not bitterness and aggression, which will create the same thing that the perpetrator showed on July 22."

Mr. Breivik said he cried when the prosecutor showed his propaganda video in court Monday because of sorrow for his country. "I thought about my ethnic group and my country dying," he said.

When asked by prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh if he acted alone, and if he had given himself the mandate to go through with the attack. "In a way, you can say that," he said. The prosecution believes Mr. Breivik acted alone while the accused maintains he is part of a network.

Admitted Norway killer boasts of 'spectacular political attack'
Admitted Norway killer boasts of 'spectacular political attack' - CNN.com

Norway mass killer Anders Behring Breivik defends massacre: "I would have done it again"
Norway mass killer Anders Behring Breivik defends massacre: "I would have done it again" - CBS News

July 22nd trial: Behring Breivik gives evidence
July 22nd trial: Behring Breivik gives evidence | News

Defiant Breivik 'would carry out massacre again'
BBC News - Defiant Breivik 'would carry out massacre again'

'I did it for Norway': Mass killer Breivik boasts of committing 'most spectacular attack on Europe since World War II' and tells court he would do it all again
Anders Behring Breivik trial: Norway killer boasts of 'most spectacular attack on Europe since WWII' | Mail Online

'I would have done it again': Anders Breivik claims his massacre was motivated by 'goodness not evil'
'I would have done it again': Anders Breivik claims his massacre was motivated by 'goodness not evil' - Telegraph

Killer Breivik: I Acted Out Of Goodness
Norway Killer: Trial Of Anders Behring Breivik - Far-Right Utoya Island Shootings And Oslo Explosion | World News | Sky News

Smirking killer Anders Breivik: I would do it all over again
Smirking killer Anders Breivik says 'I would do it all over again' | The Sun |News

we will kept that update news update till verdict

Update:

Norway prosecutors assert that Breivik insane

Published - Jun 21 2012 02:36PM EST
JULIA GRONNEVET, Asssociated Press
192xX.jpg
(Associated Press)
Anders Behring Breivik, the confessed gunman who killed 77 people last year in a bomb and shooting rampage, center, reacts in court as prosecutors deliver their closing arguments in the court in Oslo, Norway Thursday June 21, 2012. (AP Photo/Berit Roald/Scanpix NTB POOL)

OSLO, Norway (AP) — If Norwegian prosecutors get their way, no one will be held criminally responsible for the deaths of 77 people in a bomb and shooting rampage that roiled the peaceful nation....

Norway prosecutors assert that Breivik insane - Road Runner

Look like He needs to be putting lot of protected sheild or something since he's facing a sentence by an angry people.

Back