Blackberry and computer based tty in Canada

Anij

Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving up my land line (TTY & Voice) and switching just to Cell and computer - BUT I have some questions that I'm hoping fellow Canadians can help me with ???

Can we use a Blackberry (Rogers network) as a TTY with relay in Canada ( in the USA you can call Relay with a Blackberry)

I have enough hearing to be able to use some cell phones with my HA ... How do you set up your Blackberry so you don't miss calls or messages when home - do you set it by a sound signaller ??

I have Cable internet (Shaw) -and FINALLY got a webcam - what computer based services (Relay) can I access for Canada-to-Canada calls. I'd prefer NOT to use the Webcam, because I'm still recovering from a shoulder and neck injury so I try to limit my ASL :( - I'd rather type like IM ot traditional TTY for Relay calls ...

Suggestions ?? Ideas?

If you're willing could you explain how you're set up is for "phone" at home??

I do not use a land-line for anything other than VRS and faxing.

My blackberry is my life - I use it for email, texting, googling phone numbers, the IP Relay (either through IP-Relay which is a direct link on my blackberry or on my AOL IP Relay).

My computer suits me well too - I save long emails for my computer rather than my Blackberry. And I can use IP Relay via AOL or Sprint Relay.

So basically, my land-line is used for VRS, and I technically don't have to - I could have the calls routed to my blackberry rather than my home line (all you'd have to do is switch the phone # on your VRS screen), but I do keep the land-line anyway for faxing. So if you don't use a fax machine you could very well do away with a land-line.

I also have an IP Relay phone #. And I never use AOL except to make relay calls, so I close it out when not using it. And as a result, any incoming calls are taken and sent to me via email - just like having voice mail. You could do this to ensure you don't miss calls (you might miss them, but you could at least get a message.)

I guess I'm not 100% of Relay usage in Canada vs. the US, but I would assume you could open a free AOL IM account if you don't have one already, that would take care of your relay needs. Correct me if I'm wrong about the availability of this in Canada.

I also have an IP Relay phone #. And I never use AOL except to make relay calls, so I close it out when not using it. And as a result, any incoming calls are taken and sent to me via email - just like having voice mail. You could do this to ensure you don't miss calls (you might miss them, but you could at least get a message.)

I guess I'm not 100% of Relay usage in Canada vs. the US, but I would assume you could open a free AOL IM account if you don't have one already, that would take care of your relay needs. Correct me if I'm wrong about the availability of this in Canada.

Unfortunately all the Internet relays that I'm aware of ( Sprint, IP, AOL, etc) will only allows Canadians to call using their relay IF we are calling to the USA ( so Canada-to-USA calls) ... If I want to call the pizza place down the street they won't let me.... (Canada-to-Canada) ... :(

The thing is - I only get maybe 3 or 4 phone calls to my landline a month ... it's really hard to justify keeping the landline for $50/month ... but it's the only TTY access I can figure out "up here in canada"

(I lived in the USA for a year... and relay was SOOOOOO much better there)

BTW I just installed my new webcam ... it's a creative VF0350 ... and it's HORRIBLE !!

Either I need to start signing REALLY slow ... or it just blurrs like mad !!! :(

Can anyone recommend a GOOD webcam for signing ??? (I don't think I qualify for a VP from Sorenson because ASL isn't my primary language at this point (I still mostly speak and speechread)

HELP ?

i711 relay offers a free microsoft webcamera, to encourage people to use their relay service. It's not incredible, but I'd suggest trying it all the same.

As for webcams Im using a Logitech Pro for Notebooks - its a $100 USD webcam. The pic is superb, and I dont get the blurring stuff unless Im trying to karate chop the laptop, lol.

I hope you figure out what you need to do - this thread is useful reference for when I get the opportunity to move out of my parents home someday.

I think I've managed to get the Webcam working ... played with a million settings, and reset it a couple times - it seem MUCH better now.

As for the online relay situation ... I've contacted every provider I can think of and they all say "oh ... you're in canada ... I'm sorry we can't complete you're call unless you either LIVE in the USA or if you're calling the USA ... BOOOOOO

at least the webcam is solved - it was a $39.00 camera ... which is really all I can afford - so, hey it'll work ;)

Back