Bird Feeders

Cappy

Reaction score
Anyone have bird feeders? What are your favorite visitors?

I'm in Illinois. I like seeing the Downy Woodpecker eating on the suet. And the Dark Eyed Juncos under the feeders.

Please name your state and favorite visitors.

Dark Eyed Junco and Downy Woodpecker.

SubletBirdsDark-EyedJunco.jpg

tumblr_lp893wdiEV1r0n8rqo1_1280.jpg

Iowa. Cooper Hawks dining on Doves in my cedar trees.

ea3yfq.jpg

SC. Most regularly, cardinals, Carolina wrens, tufted titmouse, mockingbirds, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, hummingbirds, sparrows, chickadees, doves at the feeders and water. Sometimes bluebirds, goldfinches and robins. Favorites are the cardinals, hummers and chickadees.

SC. Most regularly, cardinals, Carolina wrens, tufted titmouse, mockingbirds, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, hummingbirds, sparrows, chickadees, doves at the feeders and water. Sometimes bluebirds, goldfinches and robins. Favorites are the cardinals, hummers and chickadees.

Wow, you get alot of good visitors! Sparrows, blackbirds, starlings and robins are common here in Illinois too. I used to see a pair of Cardinals reguarly until my neighbor cut down their lilac bush. Grrr...

Wow, you get alot of good visitors! Sparrows, blackbirds, starlings and robins are common here in Illinois too. I used to see a pair of Cardinals reguarly until my neighbor cut down their lilac bush. Grrr...
We also have blackbirds but they don't usually stop at my feeders. Maybe once in a while. Hawks don't use my feeders. Squirrels used to; now they just drink the water, which is OK. When there is roadkill, we have vultures. They are huge birds!

I enjoy watching the birds make nests, and hatch their babies in our yard. The young "punk" cardinals are fun to watch. (I call them punks because their crests look like spiked hair when they're young.)

I often see vultuers dining on roadkill, while driving on the back roads going to see family.

P.S. I am still pissed at the neighbors for cutting down that lilac bush...what can I do? *sighs*

I often see vultuers dining on roadkill, while driving on the back roads going to see family.

P.S. I am still pissed at the neighbors for cutting down that lilac bush...what can I do? *sighs*
Lilacs are beautiful. We can't grow them here.

That bites. Lilacs grow like weeds here. I do not have the yard space for them.

That bites. Lilacs grow like weeds here. I do not have the yard space for them.
My late mother-in-law had beautiful lilacs in her yard. They smelled really nice too.

Too bad you don't have the space.

We also have blackbirds but they don't usually stop at my feeders. Maybe once in a while. Hawks don't use my feeders. Squirrels used to; now they just drink the water, which is OK. When there is roadkill, we have vultures. They are huge birds!

I enjoy watching the birds make nests, and hatch their babies in our yard. The young "punk" cardinals are fun to watch. (I call them punks because their crests look like spiked hair when they're young.)
I had a bird feeder on my deck once and I had to take it down b/c there was too bird poop all my deck . A blackbird used it once and the poor bird got a sunflower seed stuck
in it beak , he was able to get it out . The sparrows are back at my deck again ,this is their 4 years here and it looks like they had a family reunion the other day !
There about 5 birds on my deck . My next door neighbor has 2 bird feeders in her yard and we had snow yesterday and she didn't refill her feeder.
The birds came looking for food and there was none. :( The crows will eat roadkill too . My bird bath water is frozen and a bluejay was looking for this week .

@ whatdidyousay: You are correct about crows being scavengers too! Also, yes...birds are ungrateful pooping machines! They will feed at my feeder, then go take a poop on my car!! bastards!

Lilacs are beautiful. We can't grow them here.
Yes lilacs are beautiful , we had them in our yard growing up . But poor mom couldn't bring
any inside my younger sister and ex brother has allergies Do they need the cold weather to grow ?

Yes lilacs are beautiful , we had them in our yard growing up . But poor mom couldn't bring
any inside my younger sister and ex brother has allergies Do they need the cold weather to grow ?
Yes, they do.

Back