Bionic Lens Implant Could Improve Vision Beyond 20/20

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A new bionic lens implant could give patients the unique ability to see three times better than standard 20/20 vision for the rest of their lives.

Dr. Garth Webb, founder and CEO of Ocumetics Technology Corp, a company committed to eliminating glasses and contact lenses for patients, invented the Ocumetics Bionic Lens, which resembles a small button.

DNews: The Dangers Of Leaving Contacts In Too Long

The procedure, which can be done in an outpatient office, takes just eight minutes and is painless, according to Webb.

The lens inside the patient’s eye is removed and replaced with an artificial lens, much like cataract surgery. The process then involves flushing the eye with a saline solution. Just 10 seconds after the implant is in place, the folded lens opens up, moves itself over the eye’s natural lens and vision is improved, the company says.

The lens was created after eight years of research and $3 million in funding for research, international patents and trials. The patent is expected to be available as soon as 2017, as long as clinical trials go as planned.

Blind See Again After Stem Cell Transplant

The lens will be available to people over the age of 25, since that’s the age when eye structures are fully formed.

Webb believes the new lens will revolutionize eye care as we know it, according to Business Insider.

Webb told Business Insider: “If you can just barely see the clock at 10 feet, when you get the Bionic Lens, you can see the clock at 30 feet away.”

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biot...t-could-improve-vision-beyond-2020-150528.htm

It does not state whether it contains electronics susceptible to breakdown or EMP detonations in the future, and it appears to imply that if you've had cataract surgery, you're out of luck.

Plus, you need to read the comment section below the article. This is "no-go" for the time being.

Plus, they ought to focus on stem-cell therapy to give us new replacement parts for our bodies.

The lens inside the patient’s eye is removed and replaced with an artificial lens, much like cataract surgery. The process then involves flushing the eye with a saline solution. Just 10 seconds after the implant is in place, the folded lens opens up, moves itself over the eye’s natural lens and vision is improved, the company says.

This part is confusing to me... it states first that the natural lens is removed but then when the bionic lens is inserted and flushed with saline it moves itself over the eye's natural lens...but wasn't the natural lens removed?!

Seems interesting and something I will keep an eye on. My eye history is... complex with a recent diagnosis I wasn't expecting nor happy about. So maybe before that gets worse there will be a cure or at least something to improve the situation.

It does seem like those who already had cataract surgery may be out of luck but I wonder if it would work for people who DO already have artificial lens (mine are 21 and 26 years old).

if natural lens is cataract it no good..this don't help people with corneal or retina problems I would have thought and what man can make man can cock up it worry to me eye surgery..i know many times the procedure for short sight can go wrong Is human eye meant to have better than 20/20 vision PLUS $3MIL do not seem that much in terms of research

This part is confusing to me... it states first that the natural lens is removed but then when the bionic lens is inserted and flushed with saline it moves itself over the eye's natural lens...but wasn't the natural lens removed?!

Seems interesting and something I will keep an eye on. My eye history is... complex with a recent diagnosis I wasn't expecting nor happy about. So maybe before that gets worse there will be a cure or at least something to improve the situation.

It does seem like those who already had cataract surgery may be out of luck but I wonder if it would work for people who DO already have artificial lens (mine are 21 and 26 years old).

I have cataract in both eyes but haven't ripe yet.

I noticed about blurry when closer to text, sensitive to lighting and extremely glare when driving at night.

I need Bionic implant like Jamie Sommers

6754749a22cf9d8e67ee898053e04460.jpg

Bionic ear is super hearing. You can hear though walls and hear people whispering. Also i need bionic eyes like Steve Austin. I not blind i wear glasses. i don't wanna wear glasses

i have prism glasses doc said he would operate but i not sure

If you don't want glasses- go get LASIX :P

Bionic Lens is doing only once and never again for rest of life. Lasix, you're required to see doctor for every decade or less to redo because eyes will crush somehow.

Also, I hear it's good for usher syndrome because of glasses or contact lens, they're struggle to get good visual. I have been told by Usher syndrome users...

Bionic Lens is doing only once and never again for rest of life. Lasix, you're required to see doctor for every decade or less to redo because eyes will crush somehow.

Also, I hear it's good for usher syndrome because of glasses or contact lens, they're struggle to get good visual. I have been told by Usher syndrome users...
Interesting... I suspect unfortunately that this lens won't help other eye problems such as glaucoma damage, macular degeneration, tunnel vision or retina damage. Interesting that some say it is good for Usher's as with Usher's they lose peripheral vision (as well as night vision if I remember). I do know of an Usher's guy who had lens implants but I thought that was due to cataracts forming (I don't the whole thing.. I just drove him for the first surgery).

what would happen if got glaucoma a year or so after having lens it be agony..it can't help macular dengenration..I could only see minimal change with lens and Ushers

Not sure with the glaucoma... my eye pressure has bounced all over the place after having the lens implants done. It has never affected the implants at all... of course...now I don't have the diagnosis of glaucoma anymore. I haven't heard or seen any reports of similar. Considering though that there's more to the bionic lens I wonder how eye pressure would affect it if it went up.

With Macular Degeneration there is already a form of a tiny implantable camera that would help with vision.

Nope, our CI's made us Jamie Sommers. She had bionic hearing Austin had bionic eye

CI is a differant type of hearing. You won't hear like normal hearing people hear. Hearing Aid came close to normal hearing you can enjoy music but to a CI Music is horrible.

CI is a differant type of hearing. You won't hear like normal hearing people hear. Hearing Aid came close to normal hearing you can enjoy music but to a CI Music is horrible.

Do you have CI? How you know if you don't have CI?

When doctor found that I was profoundly deaf in 1989 after chicken pox and meningitis so doctor told my parents about there will be cure for deafness in 5 years - that means 1994 and it didn't happen at all.

Same goes with eye doctor about Usher Syndrome will be cured in 5 years, 10 years.

I met deaf man who got diagnosed with US in late 1950s and doctor told him about there will be cure for US in 1960s, so it didn't happen.

Not sure with the glaucoma... my eye pressure has bounced all over the place after having the lens implants done. It has never affected the implants at all... of course...now I don't have the diagnosis of glaucoma anymore. I haven't heard or seen any reports of similar. Considering though that there's more to the bionic lens I wonder how eye pressure would affect it if it went up.

With Macular Degeneration there is already a form of a tiny implantable camera that would help with vision.

more than one kind of glaucoma,more than one type of MG,but I hope it successful

Do you have CI? How you know if you don't have CI?

My Audiologist told me about CI. It will allow you to hear again but not Normal hearing like i had before. Like for example if people here who used to hear remember how you heard a dog bark,A cat meows,Birds singing and music? With a CI it sounds totally differant. Its man made sounds not natural sounds.

more than one kind of glaucoma,more than one type of MG,but I hope it successful
Yep that is true. Was speaking more in generalities but when you get down to the different types- there are different types of treatments. No cure for either glaucoma or macular degeneration unfortunately :(. Yet.

Back