Bill: No snacks for food stamp users

what about the single mother that is pursuing a full-time college degree and works part time? food stamps are helping the single mother get through college so that she can have a better paying job and a career so that she can fully support herself and her child. should her food stamp use be so restricted that she cannot even buy the ingredients needed to bake her child a birthday cake? not even have some milk and cookies on occasion? what about buying quick snacks or breakfasts for the child to make for themselves in the microwave before or after school because the mother is at work??

I can understand cutting people off who actually do abuse the foodstamp program, such as those who purchase an entire grocery cart full of candy using their EBT cards and purchasing Monster energy drinks with their EBT cards.

But why restrict it to the point that the single mother can't get her child a bit of something, such as a birthday cake, or a microwavable suasage, egg, and cheese biscuit for their child to eat on the way to school in the mornings (if they choose not to eat the school breakfasts), or even some cereal bars (cheerio bars) as a quick afternoon snack to tide them over until dinner, because mom is at work when the child gets home from school.

what about the single mother that is pursuing a full-time college degree and works part time? food stamps are helping the single mother get through college so that she can have a better paying job and a career so that she can fully support herself and her child. should her food stamp use be so restricted that she cannot even buy the ingredients needed to bake her child a birthday cake? not even have some milk and cookies on occasion? what about buying quick snacks or breakfasts for the child to make for themselves in the microwave before or after school because the mother is at work??

I can understand cutting people off who actually do abuse the foodstamp program, such as those who purchase an entire grocery cart full of candy using their EBT cards and purchasing Monster energy drinks with their EBT cards.

But why restrict it to the point that the single mother can't get her child a bit of something, such as a birthday cake, or a microwavable suasage, egg, and cheese biscuit for their child to eat on the way to school in the mornings (if they choose not to eat the school breakfasts), or even some cereal bars (cheerio bars) as a quick afternoon snack to tide them over until dinner, because mom is at work when the child gets home from school.

I'm okay with ingredients. I know it's hard being a single mom. But I live on one income, too. We make our own breakfast sandwiches and freeze them. You can make your granola bars, too. Sandwiches and fruit make a nice quick afternoon snack to tide them over until dinner. So does a bowl of oatmeal, which is one of the things my kids snacked on when they were little. They didn't even have it cooked- they liked oats with milk.

Ready made, prepared convenience foods are not the only option. The are a luxury, not an entitlement.

I'm okay with ingredients. I know it's hard being a single mom. But I live on one income, too. We make our own breakfast sandwiches and freeze them. You can make your granola bars, too. Sandwiches and fruit make a nice quick afternoon snack to tide them over until dinner. So does a bowl of oatmeal, which is one of the things my kids snacked on when they were little. They didn't even have it cooked- they liked oats with milk.

Ready made, prepared convenience foods are not the only option. The are a luxury, not an entitlement.

Who said anything about entitlement???? I didn't say it wasn't a necessity, it's just an option to be made available. Not every kid likes oatmeal, not every one has time to make everything from scratch. Some convenient options are handy.

Many times fresh fruits an vegetables are very expensive therefore the parents have to make a nutrition sacrifice and buy cheaper proteins and starches to stretch the budget out for the entire month. That's just a fact of our American food market, junk food is more accessible to the needy than healthy food. If you want the needy to eat healthier, you have to make it accessible to them. IE - give vouchers for x lbs of fruits and vegetables every week.

Until the prices on healthy foods declines to the point it is accessible, the needy will continue to purchase the cheaper and less nutritional alternatives to make the budget stretch. Adding ridiculous restrictions isn't going to help, otherwise you've just created another WIC-type program where you are given a list of VERY SPECIFIC ITEMS you may purchase, and exactly how many you must purchase.

:smoking:

Yes "SteveMcGarrett" is Steve D********* aka ravensteve aka buck dodgers. He may have a different IP and may not confess. After reading Steve's posts, without a doubt, this guy is the banned "alledged" pedo.

Steve what's new in your life? are you still living with your mommy and daddy? aren't you 50 yet? are you still trying to date 14 year old girls? :ugh:

Hello!:wave: I miss you!! Don't be stranger!! LOL :naughty:

I don't want the government to restrict which food products a person can buy. It's up to the food stamp recipient to decide how to make that monthly allotment stretch. If mom can make that $100 cover all the family's food needs and still have enough left for "treats," that's fine. But if mom finds that including treats means the monthly amount runs out after three weeks, then she might have to make some adjustments to the monthly grocery list.

Don't food stamp recipients have to take a nutrition class now as part of the program???

Yup, I figured it out based on his grammar.

I'm absolutely hate pedophilia and they are extremely gross.

Steve, you need go to mental hospital and seeking for professional help, also don't be closer to children and teenagers.

BTW, C.C. Sinned, welcome back to AD.

I Agree with you,,You dont know the whole story ok? I was trapped i though the guy was joking and i played along. Then He got me banned. Im differant now i wanna let by gones by gones and forgiveness. I like it here. I learned my lesson it will not happen again cause i will not take anything seriously anymore. So let this be the end of it,,I will not be talking about this anymore. Its time to move forward. Look people forgive Newt Gingrich what he did to his wife cause she had cancer. Hes a differant person now just like im a differant person. Its time to forgive and move on, the past is past and that is that!

I Agree with you,,You dont know the whole story ok? I was trapped i though the guy was joking and i played along. Then He got me banned. Im differant now i wanna let by gones by gones and forgiveness. I like it here. I learned my lesson it will not happen again cause i will not take anything seriously anymore. So let this be the end of it,,I will not be talking about this anymore. Its time to move forward. Look people forgive Newt Gingrich what he did to his wife cause she had cancer. Hes a differant person now just like im a differant person. Its time to forgive and move on, the past is past and that is that!

wait. you were banned and now you're coming back under a different name?

I don't want the government to restrict which food products a person can buy. It's up to the food stamp recipient to decide how to make that monthly allotment stretch. If mom can make that $100 cover all the family's food needs and still have enough left for "treats," that's fine. But if mom finds that including treats means the monthly amount runs out after three weeks, then she might have to make some adjustments to the monthly grocery list.

Why don't the government just change the way the food stamps work? For instance, having the food banks sign up to become a part of the government program, this way you don't have to fill out a form every time just to get some food. This probably would prove to be a far more cost effective program compared to the food stamps used at grocery stores where they charge higher prices.

Why don't the government just change the way the food stamps work? For instance, having the food banks sign up to become a part of the government program, this way you don't have to fill out a form every time just to get some food. This probably would prove to be a far more cost effective program compared to the food stamps used at grocery stores where they charge higher prices.
I don't know how the food banks and food stamps are set up. I suspect the food banks aren't Federal programs but the food stamps are. I think most food banks are local enterprises. Also, it may have to do with logistics. I don't know how convenient the food banks are in every location, relative to where the food stamp users population is distributed. :dunno:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Telling poor people that they shouldn't have soda and chips is so petty. I would be embarassed to say something so petty.

I don't know how the food banks and food stamps are set up. I suspect the food banks aren't Federal programs but the food stamps are. I think most food banks are local enterprises. Also, it may have to do with logistics. I don't know how convenient the food banks are in every location, relative to where the food stamp users population is distributed. :dunno:

Which is why I think food banks should be able to become a part of a federal-sponsored program to assist people living below the poverty line. Food banks rely largely on donations and some grants, fundings from various sources, etc.

Canada used to have food stamps but they were dumped after the end of WW2.

Which is why I think food banks should be able to become a part of a federal-sponsored program to assist people living below the poverty line. Food banks rely largely on donations and some grants, fundings from various sources, etc.

I actually like the system we have now although I would rather see it State funded rather than Federally funded. At least it is administered by state. It just needs reform and oversight.

I used to go to food banks after my first baby was born. There were several of them in my city and the bonus part was they deliver. The bank I went to was really lovely and friendly. It's almost like shopping at a grocery store, and they pack your bags for you would also offer you a free meal of fresh hot food as you wait. If you had no transport, they would deliver your food to your home for you. And if you had a baby, they would also give you formula and diapers. I was always touched by the kindness of the volunteers at those banks. Nowadays, I always buy a little extra groceries to put into the donation bins at grocery stores by way of repaying that kindness.

Excessive calories is what causes fat gain. If you do not burn off as many calories as you consume, they get stored in your body as fat. No matter what diet you're on be it carb-based or protein-based, that's a fundamental irrefutable fact.

Not true in every case. I grew up super skinny and athletic. I never changed the way I ate during those years and my activity level didn't change. Then in my early 20's I started getting sick with some mysterious illness that has yet to be diagnosed and ballooned in weight, even when I cut calories to be significantly less than activity level burned I still GAINED. Sometimes something goes wrong in the body that is honestly out of your control and it's not just about calorie intake. Also - diet does matter, too. My weight will balloon if I eat the same calories in certain types of food and then not balloon if I eat the same calories in another type of food.

It's purists like you who spread this "It's all about the calories and exercise" BS that make life hard for the rest of us. Yes, in more cases than not, that is true, but there are a decent number of cases where it's not true and has nothing to do with calories and exercise, aside from the body making something go wrong somewhere to hang on to calories when normally it wouldn't.

Not true in every case. I grew up super skinny and athletic. I never changed the way I ate during those years and my activity level didn't change. Then in my early 20's I started getting sick with some mysterious illness that has yet to be diagnosed and ballooned in weight, even when I cut calories to be significantly less than activity level burned I still GAINED. Sometimes something goes wrong in the body that is honestly out of your control and it's not just about calorie intake. Also - diet does matter, too. My weight will balloon if I eat the same calories in certain types of food and then not balloon if I eat the same calories in another type of food.

It's purists like you who spread this "It's all about the calories and exercise" BS that make life hard for the rest of us. Yes, in more cases than not, that is true, but there are a decent number of cases where it's not true and has nothing to do with calories and exercise, aside from the body making something go wrong somewhere to hang on to calories when normally it wouldn't.

If you were taking anti-depressants that's causing you to gain weight, I would not tell you to eat less calories. If you had a medical condition that makes you put on weight or makes it difficult to lose weight, I would not tell you to consume less calories to lose weight because it's glaringly clear it's the medical condition, not the food that's causing the weight gain problem.

However, if you had no medical condition, then yes I would tell you that because it's true in most cases, just like you said yourself in your own posts.

And please don't blame "purists" for every single person who is having difficulties losing weight. It's not our fault whatsoever. If you're going to blame purists, then blame all doctors as well for saying the same thing.

What kinds of food do you eat that makes you gain weight?

when it comes to medical, weight is often the thing that gets the most picked on. your skin could be green and these people would still pick on your weight.

Anything from water retention to hormones could for you to gain weight and it won't matter how you eat. But it is still a good idea to eat healthy to try and keep the rest of your body healthy and to give your immune system a fighting chance against what ever is ailing you.

I hope you eventually find out what's going on and wish you the best in your health.

Back