Bill 4 close captioned movies passed!

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A plan by Sen. Mark Dayton, D-Minn., to make movie theaters more accessible to the nation's 28 million deaf and hard-of-hearing people passed the U.S. Senate this week.

As part of a larger corporate tax bill, Dayton's amendment will give a 50 percent tax credit to theaters and movie producers who provide captioning access to deaf patrons.

Samantha Ruhland, 14, and some of her classmates at the Metro Deaf school in St. Paul first approached Dayton about the issue. He introduced the legislation on May 5.

To mark the passage of the legislation, Dayton on Sunday will meet with 50 deaf Minnesotans, their families, and representatives from the Minnesota deaf community for a closed-captioned screening of "New York Minute" at the Block E theater in downtown Minneapolis.

Deathpit said:
GOOD! Now, I'm happy as drunken klingon! :dance: When it will taken effect?
i'm sure its changed now.. so the next tax day is their credit..

also i'm wondering is that federal or is that only for our state of minnesota?

Miss-Delectable said:
To mark the passage of the legislation, Dayton on Sunday will meet with 50 deaf Minnesotans, their families, and representatives from the Minnesota deaf community for a closed-captioned screening of "New York Minute" at the Block E theater in downtown Minneapolis.

Couldn't they had picked a better movie instead of the moronic movie, New York Minute starring the Olsen twins?

Banjo said:
Couldn't they had picked a better movie instead of the moronic movie, New York Minute starring the Olsen twins?
:rofl: remmy he's with the kids from MDS..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
:rofl: remmy he's with the kids from MDS..

.... well MDS is a good school, so its not the type of kids they have there, but it is a private charter school, so pre-k to grade 8. So it was a typical teenage choice :)

Megladon asked me if it was MN or federal, so I was wondering that too.. *shrugs* That happened a bit quickly, dont you think? ABout 2 weeks? hmm.

Yeah, it would be available everywhere. The paper said that Senator Mark Dayton introduced legislation two weeks ago that would create $310 million in tax breaks to help theaters offset the cost of installing captioning technology. Minnesotans won't have all of that $310-million to themselves! :)

Banjo said:
seems that they are pretty picky with movie's ratings...always pick ones that are rated G or PG but not PG-13 or R, which aren't very often capitoned but I hope they will do the captions on ALL movies, no matter what rated it is.

and yes, "new york mintue" is pretty crappy, but still good for the deaf kids to see, but other movies which are PG-13 or R should be capitoned for older deaf audiences, just to show some equality for all age groups, you know?

I still want to see "Van Helsting" and "Troy" but as I decided to boycott going to the movies with my friends, I got kinda tired of waiting for the theatres to show some capitons for almost 20 years of my life, and now the bill is just passed, so I suppose it's just the begining of the future for the deaf culture...

Steel said:
seems that they are pretty picky with movie's ratings...always pick ones that are rated G or PG but not PG-13 or R, which aren't very often capitoned but I hope they will do the captions on ALL movies, no matter what rated it is.

and yes, "new york mintue" is pretty crappy, but still good for the deaf kids to see, but other movies which are PG-13 or R should be capitoned for older deaf audiences, just to show some equality for all age groups, you know?

I still want to see "Van Helsting" and "Troy" but as I decided to boycott going to the movies with my friends, I got kinda tired of waiting for the theatres to show some capitons for almost 20 years of my life, and now the bill is just passed, so I suppose it's just the begining of the future for the deaf culture...

I wanna see Van Helsing too :) But Megladon said it got semi-bad reviews :dunno:

Brian said:
Yeah, it would be available everywhere. The paper said that Senator Mark Dayton introduced legislation two weeks ago that would create $310 million in tax breaks to help theaters offset the cost of installing captioning technology. Minnesotans won't have all of that $310-million to themselves! :)

What Sen. Dayton mean that his bill is for movie threatres in USA not only Minnesota. I hope this clearfity for who are consfused. Next time I see Mark, I will say thanks! I will ask my brother who work at movie theatre near my home if they are captioned soon.

pinkster said:
I wanna see Van Helsing too :) But Megladon said it got semi-bad reviews :dunno:
You'll never know unless you see the movie, dear. :P

Whatever they say in the papers...it's just their friggin' opinon and I dont really give a crap about it though. See, in my charlotte newspapers, alot of movies reviewers always say that the movies that I'm interested to see aren't as good as it was supposed to be or whatever like that...but when I go see it myself, and with some of my friends, we liked them and thought it was pretty good. movies like "Kill Bill : Volume 2" , "The Punisher", and even "Troy", many movie reviewers say they aren't fun or not much to look at and needs more time on the plot, etc...but to me and other friends, we thought those movies kicked some friggin' ass and has a great storyline and characters and stuff like that...you know? so I don't really give a crap of what the movie reviewers say...they just like to say shit and try to change your mind about it but hey, if you want to see a movie you really liked, then go for it because it's your choice. don't let a movie reviewer stop you and tell you it's horrible...I mean, it's just his stupid opinon and you have an opinon of your own so it's up to you.

:thumb:

whodatshroom said:
It would be even captioned in small town theaters??!?!?!?!?!
it's pretty much possible...

if they don't have them in small town theatres, then they are violating the americans w/disablities act, so you have the right to sue them into the court of the law! lol

Steel said:
it's pretty much possible...

if they don't have them in small town theatres, then they are violating the americans w/disablities act, so you have the right to sue them into the court of the law! lol

Well town is so tiny, the population is only about 10,000. There's only like 5 deaf people in the area.

So it's highly possible that the theater place will ignore it and go on ahead play movies without cc.

Don't think the ADA covers Captioned Movies. That's why there is all this seperate legislation.

PeteEMT said:
Don't think the ADA covers Captioned Movies. That's why there is all this seperate legislation.

Then what covers it? What if I have to sue? Who would I go to? :dunno:

Back