Between the following 3 cochlears...

To me, for my child, the most important thing was the technology. I believe that Advanced Bionics has the best sound processing available. Cochlear is still using SPEAK and ACE which were around in the late 80's early 90's. The HiFidelity 120 that AB has is the newest technology. The N-5 has the same technology as the Freedom, just in a nicer, smaller processor.

AB also has the largest dynamic range. Which means you can hear both soft and loud sounds at the same time.

AB also has the fastest processing-stimulating speed. That means the nerve is stimulated sooner, so there is less delay between the sound and hearing it.

The biggest con that people have towards AB is the recall. That was not a huge thing for me. I would rather have a company on the front of technology who made a mistake than one who is fine with mediocrity.

that's why I'm going with AB for myself... I like their speech processing strategies, I feel AB's strategies is more advanced than what Med-El and Cochlear offer. AB's recall did turn me off for a bit, but then AB corrected the issues so I'm back on track again heh. And I'm excited as all heck for their ClearVoice strategy, even though it's not available yet in the US but still!

Alot of people in UK had been upgraded to Clearvoice and so far I have not heard a negative word about it... they all love it!

Strange thing to me is AB is American and they don't have clearvoice yet!
UK got the clearvoice and it had been released for months now.

FDA has yet to give the OK to release CV in the US. Leave it to FDA to slow things down for the US. But I have heard from people in Canada and UK and so on loving CV. Even US folks who got to try CV for a few hours at a seminar loved it, and I really like what I've been hearing about CV. I don't even have an implant yet, and I'm all excited.

Why does the FDA need to approve new battery packages for cochlear speech processors?

I have no clue. FDA's got their own regulations. They apparently need to approve of any changes made to any medical devices it seems.

I'm not sure myself; I am leaning in favor of Cochlear but Advanced Bionics also sounds promising. It seems like user reactions to Med-El are "ehhhh"....

I agree about med el...! but you cannot go any wrong with any devices, the outcome is still almost good as each other.

Alot of people in UK had been upgraded to Clearvoice and so far I have not heard a negative word about it... they all love it!

Strange thing to me is AB is American and they don't have clearvoice yet!
UK got the clearvoice and it had been released for months now.

A CE mark to sell in Europe is much easier to get than FDA approval. Think 6 months for one and years for the other.

C1

Back