Best method for learning sign language?

Christine925

Reaction score
What is the best method for learning to sign? I have started watching a few YouTube videos but that is it. I contacted a community agency about sign classes and they took my name and number and they may have one in the fall. I live in a rural, small-town area (Indiana) so I am sure the resources are limited. Anyway, thank you for any input. It is appreciated. Also, I am pretty certain that none of the colleges (which are about forty miles away) offer them either as I assuming there is no demand.

If there is a deaf church in your area you will find there is plenty of that to learn from.

In my experience the only learning is by being with the deaf. When my first day at deaf school in a hour I had ABC and numbers. Then told good luck and have fun. 64 other deaf in there school and dorm situation for 5 days.

I had a growing vocabulary by that first weekend. In four years I was able to have english spoken.

Then the State deemed it ideal to put me into hearing middle school. THAT did some damage. However water under the bridge. I had to learn to function in both worlds anyway. I did ok, once I put away a few bullies.

Thank you, x1heavy, for your response. It is appreciated. I don't think there are any deaf churches near me but I will look into that. It would be a good start for sure. Your experiences in school are unfortunate; however, you seem to have risen above them. Again, thank you.

Thank you, x1heavy, for your response. It is appreciated. I don't think there are any deaf churches near me but I will look into that. It would be a good start for sure. Your experiences in school are unfortunate; however, you seem to have risen above them. Again, thank you.
You are welcome. If you are anywhere in driving distance of a deaf school in your state wherever that is, 9 times out of 10 there is a deaf church somewhere. Usually a big hearing church does it as a ministry to them. For example here in Arkansas, First Assembly in North Little Rock maintains a good Deaf Church for many years. I have not been able to attend lately and if I did go I have a great deal of catching up to do. That will come in due time. But first things first with the upcoming surgery.

My experiences in school created who I am now. And I will tell you that when I graduated as Valedictorian in the late 80's the very last thing on my mind was more schooling of any kind except Trucking. I was by then sick of school and everything associated with it.

It would take me years before I reached a peace with my experiences. I cherish my classmates and frankly I hoped they have lived a life in freedom to marry, raise a family and have a home etc. I know of some who have. So I am happy for them. One in particular has like 6 girls to raise and not a son whom he would have liked very much. HA...

Some who I feel were good classmates for various reasons have gotten in touch with me a time or two fairly recently and it cheers me to see they are doing well despite everything. Being deaf you dont notice little things like skin color or race. So sometimes its interesting as always. Not only that but also some of the classmates were from around the world with their families. One was a refugee fled Iran, she and I did math class together. Although I can imagine hours of discussion between our respective religions and so forth. She Americanized really good. So Im happy for her.

It took me longer to resolve some of the more indoctrinated teachings at the state school. For example for a competition, whatever it is all got a award. Heck, in my time only the top three got it and the rest had a ball. No awards needed. What we have become now in the education system is somewhat dangerous to the young ones now. So I fight with words and experiences in stories. All of us have one life and whatever that happens to be I hope its a good one. Meaning full. As in including all the things it takes to be free in the adult years.

It sounds like you have led an amazing life and what an honor and testimonial of who you are by becoming class Valedictorian also! And you are correct, your experiences have made you the person that you are today. It was a pleasure reading that. Best wishes...

It sounds like you have led an amazing life and what an honor and testimonial of who you are by becoming class Valedictorian also! And you are correct, your experiences have made you the person that you are today. It was a pleasure reading that. Best wishes...
I appreciate the thoughts however the Valdecorian was more of a formality determined by grades as tested. I could not be bothered to get math past 9th grade but in battle if i needed to apply the math in a hurry I was about the 13.7th (College level for applied) In math they ask you a question, are you going to stop in time. In trucking you had better either use the time left to get it stopped fast or find a workaround and if you screw up people die and things get broken. Its way better not to be in that position.

Life was ok, just not something that I would care to go through again. Once is plenty. Ive still got a few things to do with some people still with us and thats good. However I don't plan on staying around 40 years. Its not worth the degeneration of the body.

People talked about going back to the salt mines again at 8 am until 4 living empty lives. I feel very fortunate not to have to deal with that. My work involved something for America and the People, and on occasion for the world also. Its motivating. Three feet on Sandstone in ice at 10 below tends to seperate those who will stay in that kind of work for a lifetime than those who are going to go home and flip burgers or something.

I dont bother with detailed math too much. To be cheeky. Its yea deep. We will get there when we get there. =_

So very true. I have the greatest respect for those in the trucking industry. They (you) keep the country moving and keep it stocked with whatever is needed. My "hat" is off to you. Take care....

Hi Christine, I hope you find what you’re looking for. I watch a lot of YouTube as well. I love Meredith. I’m also in school for ASL/English Interpretation but it’s still a challenge for me lol. All of our classes have been online due to Covid. I know I’d be farther along with my signing skills if they were in-person classes. I think I’m going to check to see if there are any Deaf churches in my area too. Good luck in your searches!

Back