best hd tv

DDU

Reaction score
i am looking to buy a relative a HD tv. have pretty much narrowed it down to samsung. has to have internet, wifi and pc hook up and at least 120hz in 1080p. anyone with other suggestions? price i am looking at is $1k

Panasonic and Sony are pretty much the best out there. Samsung, their models can be a hit and miss.

Wirelessly posted

What size? LCD or LED TV?

40" and up. led or lcd. but most advertise as both. samsung seems rated the best. i have a 2 year old 42" LG and that is fine. but want internet,wifi and easy pc hook up. 3D is still too new so not looking at that though they do look cool. 60hz is low end. plasma seems faster but not in love with plasma

40" and up. led or lcd. but most advertise as both. samsung seems rated the best. i have a 2 year old LG and that is fine. but want internet,wifi and easy pc hook up. 3D is still too new so not looking at that though they do look cool

If you want to spend 1000 , get 2 Vizio lcd and you both get one.

Vizio isn't top of the line. They do offer nice HDTVs at reasonable prices, but the quality of Sony and Panasonic are much better in comparison. Besides, I don't like Samsung in general, I find their product quality to be subpar.

You get what you pay for.

Vizio isn't top of the line. They do offer nice HDTVs at reasonable prices, but the quality of Sony and Panasonic are much better in comparison. Besides, I don't like Samsung in general, I find their product quality to be subpar.

You get what you pay for.

That's true- Vizio isn't top of the line. But they do make amazing TVs. When it came down to the price comparison value vs. quality, however, I don't think Sony TVs are that great (and this is coming from a long time Sony fan that had a WEGA before switching to Toshiba then VIZIO). I've compared both very similar Vizio and Sony LCD TVs (including quite a few hours of research into customer opinion and product reviews) and Vizio totally beats the similar Sony models I compared - both online and in store. The Sony model colors were washed out, image artifacts appeared around letters, and the video picture was generally imperfect. The 240 Hz Vizio I purchased had none of these imperfections, and I saved a few hundred to boot.

For Sony, they're one of those brands where you pay $500-$1000 more just for the privilege of owning the brand name.

i always had problems with Panasonic products compatibility. everyone else was fine so pretty much stayed away from them. i spent time in stores looking at different hd tv's . gets hard to separate the various kinds. of course the more they cost the better they are. i wanted to keep it around $1k since like computers the HD technology advances so fast your 2 year old HD gets left behind.

For Sony, they're one of those brands where you pay $500-$1000 more just for the privilege of owning the brand name.

I used work in electrical retail and Sony TV's had a failure rate of more than one in two in the first five years. Amazing that people think they're good quality! :lol:

I used work in electrical retail and Sony TV's had a failure rate of more than one in two in the first five years. Amazing that people think they're good quality! :lol:

reminds me. i will have to put in a separate circuit for that new TV. mine has it's own circuit so the tv will not get as much current shocks as when it is a shared circuit. too many spikes on a shared room circuit for an expensive electronic like the HD TV. i think this is where a lot of people have a problem with their HD tv's . i know the house the tv will be going in so easy to run a 12ga to the panel

i still wish i could get the 3D added to the tv. but i don't want to be a beta user !

That's true- Vizio isn't top of the line. But they do make amazing TVs. When it came down to the price comparison value vs. quality, however, I don't think Sony TVs are that great (and this is coming from a long time Sony fan that had a WEGA before switching to Toshiba then VIZIO). I've compared both very similar Vizio and Sony LCD TVs (including quite a few hours of research into customer opinion and product reviews) and Vizio totally beats the similar Sony models I compared - both online and in store. The Sony model colors were washed out, image artifacts appeared around letters, and the video picture was generally imperfect. The 240 Hz Vizio I purchased had none of these imperfections, and I saved a few hundred to boot.

Myself, I prefer Panasonic over Sony these days. Vizio seems pretty damn good for the price they are being sold at. They are pretty popular at Costco in Canada.

You have to be careful when comparing TV displays in stores because a lot of times, they aren't properly calibrated. I have seen many, many top-of-the-line TV displays looking awful because they weren't hooked up right or calibrated very badly. Once I put any TV displays into my living room, they end up looking great because of how I calibrate them.

I never put any faith in comparing model to model right in the store especially when you consider the factors such as calibration, lighting in the room, your surroundings, etc. They are very different from a living room or bedroom.

I've had Sony products, they've never failed me to this day. A lot of people don't know how to take care of their electronics with the exception for Xbox 360 owners due to a design flaw.

People have a tendency to gush over Samsung for some reasons. Some of their models are nice, but I think they are overrated. Their 3DTV displays look pretty inferior compared to Panasonic's though.

Westinghouse products should be avoided though, their failure rate is pretty high compared to the other brands.

I do like Epson projectors though, I have one in my living room. Every product I've had from Epson, after calibrating and such, they always looked magnificent and considering how much they cost, I'll say you get your money worth.

Back