Best Deaf School?

in our years, our kids's school will grow with alot of deaf program inculded.
I think that pure oralism/ total and complete mainstreaming may be going the way of the Dinosaurs. One good part of mainstreaming is that hearing folks (who are statisticly more likely to be parents of dhh kids) can actually SEE and experiance FIRSTHAND the DOWNSIDES of mainstreaming or a "healthy normal" mentality. Even my parents say in retrospect, that they shouldn't have limited me to the hearing world by encouraging mainstreaming, mainstreaming and even MORE mainstreaming with little to no exposure to dhh kids! Many of the kids who were the product of the first generation of kids who were mainstreamed, are becoming parents themselves......and who knows? Maybe we'll actually see a resurgance of interest in ASL and more kids in programs specificly for the dhh!

deafdyke said:
I think that pure oralism/ total and complete mainstreaming may be going the way of the Dinosaurs. [...] Maybe we'll actually see a resurgance of interest in ASL and more kids in programs specificly for the dhh!
I don't think it could happen anytime soon. Last month, I interviewed for an Itinerant Teacher position for a county school system in Florida. I was asked questions about auditory therapy, speech training, etc. I got the impression that the job entailed meeting with D/HH students who do not possess knowledge of ASL or having very limited ASL abilities. I'm quite sure a lot of IEP's in that school district are tailored to the auditory/verbal regimen.

Granted, this observation is gleaned from a limited contact with a single county school system in Florida. I know that in Miami-Dade County, there are dedicated D/HH programs that contain students who use ASL daily. I guess, your mileage may vary where D/HH students are located, and the prevalence of ASL being used.

And I did not get the job. Ah well. Would have been great if I could have worked for that county school system and try to 'sneak' in ASL! :)

web730 said:
You must have overlooked Indiana School for the Deaf. Count them!

ISD has had been one of best 5 deaf schools for a very long time .. believe that it still is. I meant Indiana, not Iowa or Illinois, ha.

The Gally students from other states recognized that ISD as a real good school from knowing ISD graduates there. That was a fact in our time and before so. I was a Gally and NTID student so I did know lot of them from different schools.

By the way I do agree with your opinions in your thread about the best deaf schools. Only that you just counted 4 schools .. but do count Indiana as top 5, definitely! Yes, Kendall is the top elementary school.

MSSD .. good education probably but at their worst in morals, you should know. Don't send your kids there lol.

Wisconsin, Texas, and Kansas Deaf schools should be in the top 10 .. I would say. Colorado maybe?!

I thought Colorado School for the Deaf does sucks.

The worst deaf school would be Georgia School for the Deaf (GSD, located in Cove Springs), Alabama School for the Deaf (ASD, located in Talladega) and Mississippi School for the Deaf (MSD, located in Jackson). I don't know about Louisiana School for the Deaf (LSD, located in Baton Rogue).

Talladega is just ugly, decayed, not many prime shopping and place make me so ill. Cove Springs is just ugly, rural area and not nice to look. Jackson is doing alright, not bad as Talladega. Baton Rogue is pretty decent and mixed with incomes.

btw, our school have around 25 hearing impaired students (including deaf and hard of hearing that know how use sign language)

Eyeth, was the school district a suburban high acheiver type? It would be pretty hard to effect total extintion of the pure oral method and pure mainstreaming, but I think that in a few years oralism and total mainstreaming is going to become rarer then hen's teeth.

deafdyke said:
Eyeth, was the school district a suburban high acheiver type?
Yes, your best guess is correct in 'pegging' the school district. Still, I think mainstreaming will become more prolific, but ASL will continue to be used as well.

Eyeth, I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunatly it seems like the suburban high acheiver types are overrepresented in oral deaf programs.

more info on BiBi training and deaf schools

I agree that some of most successful schools with full language access and high expectations for deaf students are those that use the bilingual/bicultural approach.

Here are some BiBi resources that may help us identify the best BiBi schools.

CAEBER (Center for ASL/English Bilingual Education and Research)
New Mexico School for the Deaf: CAEBER

CAEBER Preservice Training: Star Online Project
Seven universities currently use the curriculum from online courses:
- Gallaudet University
- Lamar University
- McDaniel College
- Western Oregon University
- University of Tulsa
- California State University Northridge
- University of Hawaii

Two universities, Gallaudet University and Lamar University, utilize the full online components while the other universities use parts of the online components and online curriculum as meets their needs.

CAEBER Inservice Training: 2-Year Professional Development Inservice
Schools for the Deaf involved with ASL/ESL Bilingual Staff Development Model in Deaf Education
(as listed at Star Schools)
- New Mexico School for the Deaf
- Illinois School for the Deaf
- Texas School for the Deaf
- Alabama School for the Deaf
- Kendall Demonstration Elementary School
- Kentucky School for the Deaf
- California School for the Deaf Riverside
- Wisconsin School for the Deaf
- Minnesota Academy for the Deaf
- Jean Massieu Academy
- American School for the Deaf
- Metro Deaf School
- Kansas School for the Deaf

Deaf Ed Teacher Prep programs that list their philosophy as bilingual/bicultural on deafed.net
(note: some programs -- which may be bibi programs -- did not specify their philosophy on this list)
- University of California, San Diego
- University of Hawai'i at Manoa
- McDaniel College
- Boston University
- Western Oregon University
- Utah State University, Logan

Wisconsin, Texas, and Kansas Deaf schools should be in the top 10 .. I would say. Colorado maybe?!

Hell, no! I went to the Wisconsin School for the Deaf and that school was not very good. Their "bi bi" philosphy is a joke, and they don't believe in using your voice at ALL, sign only! Come on! Some kids who had transferred to WSD from public schools are used to voicing while signing and when they came to WSD I would often see other kids tell them to shut the hell up. Not very nice. The ASLers there are very stuck up. The education is a JOKE. I didn't learn shit there, not one bit, except for that one year when I was 6. I wish I never came back after that one year - I no longer needed to go to WSD after that point. I went back several time only to try to fit in, and failed each time. Most of my school years were in mainstreaming in public schools and I always did much better in mainstream.

I thought Colorado School for the Deaf does sucks.

I'm not sure. I have heard that it is an oral state school, not very sure. My mom had looked into sending me there when she was thinking about moving us back to Colorado (I am originally from there) but we ended up not moving back. Sometime I wish we did move back to Colorado...it's a lot prettier than Wisconsin.

what about western Pa school for the deaf!?!?
it is number one deaf school in USA!

I graduated MSSD and I knew MSSD are excellent education in self-esteem, teach students on portfolio start right now instead wait till senior year, excellent social life... I am sure other deaf schools in top 10 are MSSD, MSD (Maryland), ISD (Indiana), WPSD, CSDF, and few more...

I'm not sure. I have heard that it is an oral state school, not very sure. My mom had looked into sending me there when she was thinking about moving us back to Colorado (I am originally from there) but we ended up not moving back. Sometime I wish we did move back to Colorado...it's a lot prettier than Wisconsin.

Gotta agree with you that Denver area is more beautiful than Chicago area.

I got found out from Sjones that he said CSD have poor education, also starrygaze said that same thing.

I personally find *all* deaf schools to be a joke. Too many learning-disabled, low-functioning, and yes, that includes Indiana SD. Their bilingual/bicultural philosophy is too damn ridiculous. They require that I "turn off my voice and just sign." Fuck that shit. Also, they are totally contradicting themselves; I have heard a gazillion LOUD stuff over there, and they require that I turn my voice off??? Pfft. I told all of my interpreters at my university about that, and they all completely understood.

The high school at ISD allow you to plagiarize on their English papers, don't have any IT and computer classes (like programming, networking, firewalls and security, database administration using Oracle, etc) - just basic Web Page Design (not ADVANCED Web Page Design that involves CSS, JavaScript, and Dynamic HTML) and THAT's taught by the HS science teacher, and don't have Advanced Placement classes (like AP Chemistry, AP Biology, etc) either.

AP classes is when you take the hardest classes ever *in* HS *for* college credit. Suppose that I take up AP English and AP Chemistry in HS and passed them. I wouldn't have to take up English Composition 1 and 2 *and* General Chemistry 1 and 2 at college as well.

I wished that I'd never have joined that dumbass deaf school at all ... 5 years worth. And, don't bash on me for this; I'm giving my brutally honest, blunt, argumentative, and extremely PROVABLE opinion on this.

Thank you very much and hope you have a nice day.

All deaf schools that doesnt reek of deafhood are best schools!

Richard

I personally find *all* deaf schools to be a joke. Too many learning-disabled, low-functioning, and yes, that includes Indiana SD. Their bilingual/bicultural philosophy is too damn ridiculous. They require that I "turn off my voice and just sign." Fuck that shit. Also, they are totally contradicting themselves; I have heard a gazillion LOUD stuff over there, and they require that I turn my voice off??? Pfft. I told all of my interpreters at my university about that, and they all completely understood.

The high school at ISD allow you to plagiarize on their English papers, don't have any IT and computer classes (like programming, networking, firewalls and security, database administration using Oracle, etc) - just basic Web Page Design (not ADVANCED Web Page Design that involves CSS, JavaScript, and Dynamic HTML) and THAT's taught by the HS science teacher, and don't have Advanced Placement classes (like AP Chemistry, AP Biology, etc) either.

AP classes is when you take the hardest classes ever *in* HS *for* college credit. Suppose that I take up AP English and AP Chemistry in HS and passed them. I wouldn't have to take up English Composition 1 and 2 *and* General Chemistry 1 and 2 at college as well.

I wished that I'd never have joined that dumbass deaf school at all ... 5 years worth. And, don't bash on me for this; I'm giving my brutally honest, blunt, argumentative, and extremely PROVABLE opinion on this.

Thank you very much and hope you have a nice day.

All deaf schools? I didnt know that my school is a joke. Ever thought to hold the parents accountable too?

All deaf schools? I didnt know that my school is a joke. Ever thought to hold the parents accountable too?

Yup, their faults. They think that I need to "socialize more with people of the same level of hearing" when I started the dumbass deaf school in 1997.

Big mistake, FYI. I tried to get them to move me back to the hearing schools, but ahh they refuse to do that because of "financial reasons." BWA HAHAHA! Sure, I might benefit from that via learning ASL and deaf history, but .... please read the below paragraphs.

The deaf people at ISD always tend to find and exploit minor flaws in me, make such a huge deal about it, and blab their mouths off about it. Another issue that really, really bothered me was when someone picks on me, then I was like "Will you please STOP?!" then the teacher always, I mean ALWAYS think that I started this shit and sends me to detention hall. I try to complain to the supervising teacher (the boss of the high school department) and that fat bitch won't listen. She was like "Simply ignore them and they'll stop. End of story." Uhhhh????? If they started picking on me, then THEY should be the ones to be sent to detention hall, not ME! That's the main reason why I hated that fucking mentally-retarded deaf school.

Now, compare with the pre-1997 and post-2003 (I graduated in 2002, but I came to visit my friend Justin Burke who graduated in my class also, but he has to take his 5th year) eras when I was in the hearing world. I felt so comfortable being there. I grew up as a lone deaf boy in an entire family, both father and mother's sides, of hearing people. The hearing kids at the elementary schools (pre-1997) and colleges (post-2003) have always been nice to me because they understood what's like to be deaf, you know?

I've always enjoyed being around hearing people not only because of my speaking skills, but because of their kindness. I have over 200 friends (and will have more and more as time goes by) on the social networking site Facebook and I just joined Facebook in September 2006. Plus I have "unlisted" friends that don't have Facebook.

I did a search on anyone that is from the "RIT" or "Gallaudet" network and whoa, a long list of them. I then prayed to God that they would never find me because my God, imagine the chaos and the pandemonium when they post embarrassing stories on my FB "wall." The hearing friends would go like "My God...." and stop talking to me. Fuck that shit.

Soooo, to be a step forward in the game, I set my privacy settings to NOT show my profile to anyone unless they get *MY* approval (via "friend" requests). Chances are they would MOST LIKELY get silently denied access. I told a college hearing friend about that, and she was like "Smart idea. Time to move on, you know?" My God, I could not have agreed MORE about that! I'd rather not get into that kind of mess, period.

I'm through with elaborating. Thank you for your listening and have a nice day.

Yup, their faults. They think that I need to "socialize more with people of the same level of hearing" when I started the dumbass deaf school in 1997.

Big mistake, FYI. I tried to get them to move me back to the hearing schools, but ahh they refuse to do that because of "financial reasons." BWA HAHAHA! Sure, I might benefit from that via learning ASL and deaf history, but .... please read the below paragraphs.

The deaf people at ISD always tend to find and exploit minor flaws in me, make such a huge deal about it, and blab their mouths off about it. Another issue that really, really bothered me was when someone picks on me, then I was like "Will you please STOP?!" then the teacher always, I mean ALWAYS think that I started this shit and sends me to detention hall. I try to complain to the supervising teacher (the boss of the high school department) and that fat bitch won't listen. She was like "Simply ignore them and they'll stop. End of story." Uhhhh????? If they started picking on me, then THEY should be the ones to be sent to detention hall, not ME! That's the main reason why I hated that fucking mentally-retarded deaf school.

Now, compare with the pre-1997 and post-2003 (I graduated in 2002, but I came to visit my friend Justin Burke who graduated in my class also, but he has to take his 5th year) eras when I was in the hearing world. I felt so comfortable being there. I grew up as a lone deaf boy in an entire family, both father and mother's sides, of hearing people. The hearing kids at the elementary schools (pre-1997) and colleges (post-2003) have always been nice to me because they understood what's like to be deaf, you know?

I've always enjoyed being around hearing people not only because of my speaking skills, but because of their kindness. I have over 200 friends (and will have more and more as time goes by) on the social networking site Facebook and I just joined Facebook in September 2006. Plus I have "unlisted" friends that don't have Facebook.

I did a search on anyone that is from the "RIT" or "Gallaudet" network and whoa, a long list of them. I then prayed to God that they would never find me because my God, imagine the chaos and the pandemonium when they post embarrassing stories on my FB "wall." The hearing friends would go like "My God...." and stop talking to me. Fuck that shit.

Soooo, to be a step forward in the game, I set my privacy settings to NOT show my profile to anyone unless they get *MY* approval (via "friend" requests). Chances are they would MOST LIKELY get silently denied access. I told a college hearing friend about that, and she was like "Smart idea. Time to move on, you know?" My God, I could not have agreed MORE about that! I'd rather not get into that kind of mess, period.

I'm through with elaborating. Thank you for your listening and have a nice day.

Wow..sounds like u hate the deaf community? I am sorry that u had a bad experience.

Back