Best city/town for a Deaf person to live in?

Southern California, easy lol. I used to drive down there to hang out with friends for years and stayed with my ex there for a whole year before I moved back to Fresno. Craziest rental prices in LA, my ex and I paid 1000 a month for a whole year but was worth it.....I loved living in LA....from 2000 to 2004, I had the TIME of my life.

Great times, great friends, great memories!

There is not alot of jobs here and the "normal" people have them if you know what I mean.

You mean normal as in non-deaf people or normal as in "able-bodied" (such as not in a wheelchair or in crutches or whatever)? If you are deaf but ablebodied then I suggest that you find odd jobs for now, mow lawns, clean houses, car washes, shovel driveways during the winters, babysitting, etc....be creative and try to save up money! You deserve a better environment!

But if you are disabled try to get on SSI and try to find a cheap place to rent and then get the hell out. You deserve a better environment!

Don't you have friends or family that will be willing to take you in until you can get back on your feet? Ask around. They gotta be better environment than what you are in currently!

You mean normal as in non-deaf people or normal as in "able-bodied" (such as not in a wheelchair or in crutches or whatever)? If you are deaf but ablebodied then I suggest that you find odd jobs for now, mow lawns, clean houses, car washes, shovel driveways during the winters, babysitting, etc....be creative and try to save up money! You deserve a better environment!

But if you are disabled try to get on SSI and try to find a cheap place to rent and then get the hell out. You deserve a better environment!

Don't you have friends or family that will be willing to take you in until you can get back on your feet? Ask around. They gotta be better environment than what you are in currently!

Lucia, I mean non-deaf people. I do work at a factory and been saving money to get out of here I should have been moved by now ( 3 to 4 months ago) WV just sucks when it comes to treatment of the d/Deaf.

I do have family in Baltimore but that's not where I want to go I have been making plans to go out west. :)

Lucia thanks for your post I been working on this :)

Last edited:
The kids probably interact if they attend deaf events in GA. Otherwise, I have witnessed no real interaction.

Its like night and day!

My son attended both schools (he has a CI).

At the Speech School everyone was dignified and rich! You could not use sign language there, however there was heavy use of the ILY symbol. You could tell the kids who were there via financial aid! Attendance is mostly parent driven and it seems like all the kids with Cochlear Implants in GA go to school there. The goal there is to get deaf people to talk and CI kids to listen and talk. No bus transportation. Its a private school so the state doesn't HAVE to provide it. Very hifalutin'!

At the Deaf School its like people are people. You MUST use sign language. Having a CI, you are the weird kid per say. Transportation is provided. The goal there is to educate deaf children and prepare them for adulthood. The students are as old as 21. They learn life skills (cooking, cleaning, parenting, etc.) how to handle their own business (banking, paying bills). They even have a WAMU bank inside the school where the (high school) kids can keep their money (like if they have jobs they can deposit their checks) I really like how this school makes these kids feel- independent, successful, loved.

As far as how I feel about the divide, I think its foolish. I cannot believe that a society who screams about being discriminated against, would turn around and discriminate against one of their own for ANY reason. Its like a family casting out a member because they married outside the race or religion. I have more respect for the people who stand in their fight against big business trying to make the world "un-deaf". Being a Black woman (a double whammy at times), I take discrimination personally, even if its not against me. We should focus on coming together at all times and making a better world for everyone.

I dont think it is the deaf children who are creating the divide..it is the adults especially those who make the policies of these schools such as forbidding the use of sign language at one. Those kinds of attitudes filter down to the children and presto, you have the divide. It is a shame.

Sorry ... if my idea is stupid and weird.

If we collect deaf friends willing to build the country for deaf only sign language.
presidents, mayors and governments are also deaf people ... can take care of deaf people, no less than people can hear.

For example, collecting money first, then buying land ... over time, villages and cities, even countries.
But this is my dream and desire as a deaf person.

I know the feelings of deaf people are difficult to adapt to hearing people.

want a fun challenge? Or for legends and history?

But I cannot guarantee 100% success ... I want to be willing to join and try ... for the future of deafness
i like this idea!

St augustine in florida has the school for the blind and deaf and has a high deaf populatin because of it.

Hi, guys.. sorry I've been away from the board, life's crazies.
So, in your opinion, what is/are the best place/s in USA for a Deaf person to live in? What makes those places best for a Deaf person to live in?

I'm newly transplated (2 years now) in Salt Lake City utah. The Deaf and Blind community (I'm Deaf-Blind) see,s to be great here BUT I went into coulture shock coming from California. The Govt. here is truly backwards and ignorant. This is a deeply red state which is run/controlled by the Mormon church (even though there is SUPPOSED to be seperation between state and church LOL) . I was amazed on how little support is offered and what is needed to be fought constantly with those in power. Every year its a constant battle with budget cuts. We still to this day have NO standered cross walk signals (Vibration and otherwise). in outskirts its a chirp and dog sound but in downtown it, its all dog sound and depends on which direction you are going in (like I know being blind where north/west/south/east I am going in depending on the day. And Paratransit (Blind so I need to use them at times) is horrid. Ya, stop and yell out my name and if I don't answer they leave. As well as them having some stupid 3 missed marks you out for a year. Then the recent cuts to SSP and interpreters. Luckly we have a large and strong Deaf (Blind) community who fight constantly. But coming from CA. I was shocked on how little the Govt. here gives 2 cents caring about the needs of the disabled in general and this is suppost to be such a Christian state . Mormons are full fo it and only care if your a member of their cult. I guess they figure if your not looking to them for salvation then your going to hell and not worth much. I really need to return to Ca.....before it all burns down that is LOL.

Last edited:
Easily for Deaf live in Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C., NYC (especially Rochester, NY). So, you know, Northern is better than Southern in the US.

Try Southern CA, Washington, DC and Rochester, NY and Austin, TX.

There are Deaf owned restaurants in Austin areas. Last week, I have recently talked to my Deaf friend from Northern California. She told me her cousins are moving to Texas from Northern California. She also said that some of her friends already moved to Austin and Houston now because it is too expensive to live in Northern California.

I'm newly transplated (2 years now) in Salt Lake City utah. The Deaf and Blind community (I'm Deaf-Blind) see,s to be great here BUT I went into coulture shock coming from California. The Govt. here is truly backwards and ignorant. This is a deeply red state which is run/controlled by the Mormon church (even though there is SUPPOSED to be seperation between state and church LOL) . I was amazed on how little support is offered and what is needed to be fought constantly with those in power. Every year its a constant battle with budget cuts. We still to this day have NO standered cross walk signals (Vibration and otherwise). in outskirts its a chirp and dog sound but in downtown it, its all dog sound and depends on which direction you are going in (like I know being blind where north/west/south/east I am going in depending on the day. And Paratransit (Blind so I need to use them at times) is horrid. Ya, stop and yell out my name and if I don't answer they leave. As well as them having some stupid 3 missed marks you out for a year. Then the recent cuts to SSP and interpreters. Luckly we have a large and strong Deaf (Blind) community who fight constantly. But coming from CA. I was shocked on how little the Govt. here gives 2 cents caring about the needs of the disabled in general and this is suppost to be such a Christian state . Mormons are full fo it and only care if your a member of their cult. I guess they figure if your not looking to them for salvation then your going to hell and not worth much. I really need to return to Ca.....before it all burns down that is LOL.
Wow, even thou the "School" for the Deaf is very oral and small?

Try Southern CA, Washington, DC and Rochester, NY and Austin, TX.

There are Deaf owned restaurants in Austin areas. Last week, I have recently talked to my Deaf friend from Northern California. She told me her cousins are moving to Texas from Northern California. She also said that some of her friends already moved to Austin and Houston now because it is too expensive to live in Northern California.

Houston is still booming... it's on the number 4 largest cities in the US by population. When my family first moved to Houston, there was not much traffic. Today it is a nightmare. No wonder people are flocking to Texas more.

Not sure if you're familiar with their LDS gospel principles. Self-reliance is one of the most important taught lessons in the church. There is nothing wrong with self-reliance, but the problem is they have a self-reliance attitude. It is probably one of the most misunderstood principles to act when it applies to people with disabilities. On the Facebook, I saw the argument between LDS Deaf woman and LDS guy who used to be a bishop. She complained about not getting an interpreter at her church because she was supposed to give a talk. LDS guy assumed she can talk, because he observed her carrying conversation with a person at church. She explained it to him that it was a brief conversation. Plus it was too stressful for her to carry long conversations with a person, which cause her fatigue. Fatigue is so common in the d/Deaf community when they work so hard to concentrate on lip reading and listening. LDS guy told her to "learn" to listen and talk because he said it is self-reliance. Yeah, he crossed the line. That's what escalated the argument.

I created the thread- Utah Deaf Hospital Rights. Some of them are members of the church and they have been fighting for their rights to access interpreters.

To rephrase what Barbaro said-- If you think it is bad being Deaf-Blind in Mormon-dominated Utah, think about what it would be like being a Deaf-Blind Mormon. They make life difficult for their own, too.

And, no, I have never been Mormon, nor have I ever wanted to be one. I saw too much growing up.

No where to go.

I am married to a man i can not stand, have no job, no money.I am trap here. It feels like a bike in a car lot. As far as people like us forget about it.
Please speak to us, do you need help?

Wow... I have a friend who lives in/near St. Charles (hearing woman)... haven't heard great things about that city...
It was nice to see you here. it's been a while. I have heard many things from Texans that there is nothing special about Missouri except BBQ.

Back